She Finds A Home In This One

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

0 comments

Happy

russ_jameson 1/10/21 1:06 PM

The rotation of the earth really makes my day. The sun’s pretty important too; it’s like the whole world revolves around it.

russ_jameson 1/10/21 3:52 PM

Guys guys I thought of another one!

I tried to visit the moon the other day, but they told me it was full.

Very proud of this one :D

---

russ_jameson 1/11/21 12:25 PM

My four-year-old asked me why W’s aren’t called double V’s and I’ve been thinking about this for four hours.

russ_jameson 1/11/21 9:35 PM

Sleeping time!

Daughter: How come you’re not going to sleep now?

Me: I have things to do. Plus, I’m already really good at it.

Daughter: Really?

Me: I’m so good, I can do it with my eyes closed.

She rolled her eyes at me, so I feel like I accomplished something.

---

russ_jameson 1/12/21 8:42 PM

I feel like people shouldn’t make dad jokes if they're not dads. That’s a faux pas.

---

russ_jameson 1/13/21 12:45 AM

Anyone who follows me is probably so tired of my crazy talk, but I was thinking today and I just needed a place to write somewhere that I love my daughter so much. This post isn’t my usual funny joke or satire, but I just needed to get it out there. Someday she’s gonna be an amazing, incredible, strong woman, and the only thing I want, more than anything in the world, is to watch her through the whole way. I need her just as much as she needs me.

To every child and parent out there, I need you to know that you are loved. Someone will hold your hand through your first steps, and take you out on your first drive, and help you tie your tie for an interview. Someone is watching out for you. We all take care of one another. It’s what we know how to do.

Goodnight everyone <33

---

Direct Message from: lyvia_

hi,

i’m really sorry to bother you. i was having a really bad day today and then i saw your post, and it was like a light sort of went off in my head. like everything wasn’t terrible. and that’s a really great thing to hear. i really really needed what you said. i printed out your tweet and taped it onto my wall. i hope that’s okay. i just wanted to say thank you.

um, thank you. so much. also sorry you’re probably asleep already.

russ_jameson

Not asleep! Thank you so much for reaching out. I’m glad my words touched someone that deeply, if I was able to make you smile then I’m glad I posted it. I’m happy you’re doing better! We take little steps in order to prepare for leaps. If you don’t mind my asking, why was your day so bad?

lyvia_

haha wow i didn’t expect you to respond, let alone within five minutes. what a surprise!

why was my day bad? it’s kind of a long story. the short version: i’ve been struggling with depression for about a year now. it’s hard, but i’ve made a little bit of progress since the beginning :) yesterday was just a lot, triggered some bad responses from everyone around me.

russ_jameson

Thanks for confiding in me. That’s a really hard thing to do. I’m sorry that all those things happened to you, it sounds awful. I had my own war with depression in my high school years. It was a really dark time, but hopefully I can share my experiences and maybe help others win the fight. And I want you to know that things will get better. You are valid and deserving of good things. The universe likes to throw daggers at people but being able to survive a wound is the bravest thing someone can do. My ears (well, eyes) are yours if you ever need anyone to listen. I wish there was a way I could help more.

---

russ_jameson

Good morning! You doing okay? I’m sorry if I overstepped my boundaries, when you didn’t respond last night I got a little worried. I hope I’m not intruding, but if you’d rather we cut this conversation short I’m happy to do it. I wish you the best of luck in everything that you do, with a reminder to keep moving forward. That’s the only way to go.

lyvia_

no!! no that’s not it at all. you’re a great conversationalist, and i would love to keep talking to you. you’ve been so kind to me, last night i was hit with this idea that was just really crazy, it might’ve been the 3am mania or something but i can’t stop thinking about it. you can definitely say no if you want, it’s probably a really bad idea.

um. i lost my father about a year ago. it was really hard on everyone in my family. my mom isn’t really around anymore… i think i remind her too much of him. that’s kind of where the depression and social anxiety and everything started.

this is really stupid but i haven’t had someone listen to me in such a long time. i’m gonna regret it if i don’t ask this but i know it’s a really big question.

i was wondering if… well, would like to be my dad?

not legally or whatever. of course.

just someone i can talk to

i know it’s a lot to ask

you can say no, and i’ll step away. i’ll never mention it again.

russ_jameson

I’d be honored :)

You okay? You’re typing something but I don’t see anything.

lyvia_

wait… would you really

russ_jameson

Oh my goodness yes. It would be a pleasure to be your internet dad.

lyvia_

you’re not joking are you?

russ_jameson

I wouldn’t joke about this.

lyvia_

wow 

russ_jameson

Wow :)

lyvia_

you don’t understand how much this means to me. i’m smiling so wide right now you don’t even know. thank you for taking a chance on a stranger teenage girl.

russ_jameson

It’s unfair that you don’t have a paternal figure in your life. I know this is a big step but I’m so happy you appeared in my DMs. Someday I’ll be able to tell my four-year-old about her amazing big sister. She’ll have someone to look up to.

We both will.

So. How was school today kiddo?

lyvia_

hahaha

thank you.

thank you.

thank you.

January 15, 2021 06:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.