9 comments

American Contemporary Mystery

Marcus Trent caught a taxi to the airport after leaving his daughter Victoria. He had been so happy to attend her exhibition and be overwhelmed by the prolific and varied works on display the night before. His appreciation for the abstract and his daughter’s past had increased above and beyond. Many natural scenes from her life, either picture-perfect or abstract, and paintings of the people she had met along the way, assaulted his senses as he viewed them.


She hadn’t expected him to attend. It surprised them that her aunt and uncle had voluntarily told him about it. They were undoubtedly very proud of her and the life she had made for herself in Dallas. All thanks to their rearing and nurturing. Maybe they wanted him to be reminded again of his deficits and of all he had missed as she had grown up.


Their morning meeting hadn’t been as tense as his fears made it seem. The sick feeling in his stomach did not subside until he realized Victoria indeed wanted to see him. She hadn’t just invited him to appear polite. After their open, honest conversation, he finally understood why Victoria had shunned him for years. Her startling revelation had cleared up one of the biggest mysteries. Just who his daughter really was and why she had led him to believe a lie for so long. Much of the information she had researched for herself and now finally shared with him.


Her further invitation for him to accompany her on a sailing trip warmed and worried him. A voyage back to a familiar place - if they could find it. Ordinarily, he would have said “No” due to his commitments. But now he knew the truth; a voyage back to their Island seemed inevitable and the best idea in the world. His sister Katy suggested it long ago, back when the idea had appeared preposterous and impossible.


Victoria had been waiting for the right moment to broach the subject with him for many years. A young woman may feel she has all the time in the world. Marcus believed that nothing would change, and his life would end with all his hopes and dreams unfulfilled, like someone waiting in a long queue to gain entry into an exciting theme park, only to be turned away at the very point of entry, due to the park being full, or some other feeble reason. In his case, it seemed the entry booth had vanished into thin air.


He had Genny back at the Ranch to care for. This commitment gave his life purpose but also tied him down. The day would come when she would be too old to continue in such isolation. She had been unable to keep up the work that needed to be done. Marcus found her at the place he lived in long ago and ended up working for her. What they planned and accomplished gave her a new lease on life. He had been a blessing for Genny, and they, in turn, had been able to bless other lives.


Marcus’ beloved wife, Rose, Victoria’s mother, had died long before. Her Aunt Ruth and Uncle Jack took over Victoria’s upbringing with love and generosity, never asking anything from him in return. When he visited his daughter for the first time after her mother’s death, his child had been afraid of him. Mainly because he had never been around. Any attempts to get reacquainted had met with a wall of resistance. Victoria seemed happy in her life without her troublesome and penniless father. It had been for the best. He had also been happy, though it filled him with remorse that his only daughter hadn’t shared in any of it with him. Except for one time, many years before, she had inexplicably cut that holiday short. She asked to be taken to the airport to fly home.


He always visited Rose’s grave when he arrived in Dallas. Before attending Victoria Trent’s exhibition, he’d placed her favorite white roses at the graveside. Now, he headed home to the Ranch and Genny.


The taxi arrived at the airport and let Marcus off. He had enough time to meet the deadline to get his flight finalized and baggage put through. He went up to the departure lounge. His thoughts weighed heavy, so the half-hour wait gave him time to think about what he would tell Genny when he saw her.


The old photo he pulled from his pocket drew him in. Victoria gave it to him before he left. When she had left the farm all those years before, she had taken an old retro camera from them, forgotten in her haste to leave. It held a film that she later developed, which contained many prints. This one featured Genny and her elderly mother, Evelyn, standing outside the old homestead ranch. Genny moved there from Dallas to care for her elderly mother, Evelyn. Her two young daughters had grown up in Dallas, but they had lost contact with their mother. Partly because of the remoteness of the place their mother moved to and partly because they married and had their own lives. Victoria explained why she had left the remote Ranch in such a rush so many years before. The explanation included earlier members of Genny’s family.


Great-grandmother Evelyn, who had died long before, had an older brother, Edward, who left for greener pastures and didn’t contact his family again. The family Bible back at the Ranch had all the names in it, but Edward’s part of the family remained blank. Yet, it turned out he had a son, Oliver, who had a son, Luke. Luke had turned up at the Ranch during Victoria’s stay, introducing himself to Genny as her great-nephew. He had caused such trouble for Marcus. Genny concluded it was more of an inheritance issue than that Marcus had spent time in jail and told the young man to get lost. Marcus had always been completely honest about his past.


During the morning of her father’s visit, Victoria finally revealed how Luke caused an awful scene where she had to floor him for his antics. He had come on to her and promised to go easy on Marcus if she did what he wanted. Little did he realize his mistake. Victoria had always known how to take care of herself. As an extra precaution, she left without saying anything. He had taken her rash departure many years before to heart.


Victoria told him what Luke had said to her.

“You’ve really done it, Miss Victoria. You know who I am? Genny is my great-aunt. You are just the daughter of an ex-crim. My father can throw your father off this Ranch as quick as anything. I don’t know how your father got into Aunt Genny’s good books. She must be told the truth, and I’m just the one to do it.”

He had already been plastered on the floor face down with Victoria on top of him, twisting his arm to a painful degree. He was clearly saving face.


Her reply had been equally menacing.

“You can save your breath. My father has worked here for years and told Genny about himself from the start. He didn’t bring me up. My Uncle Jack and Auntie Ruth did. They own a much bigger ranch in Dallas and always deal with the likes of you and your family. You carry on, and they’ll have you and your father off and out of here before you have time to squeal.”

She still left at the earliest opportunity without explaining why.


Just then, he heard the boarding call and rose to make his way to the queue . . .


Once settled on the plane for his short, almost-hour flight to Amarillo, he thought of something else important.


His explanation to Victoria about his work at the Ranch had surprised her.

“Luke must have heeded your threat because he and his father never bothered Genny afterward. We brought the whole place back from the brink. I suggested how she could diversify and make a living while saving the Ranch. We got funding and made it a boot camp for wayward girls each Summer. Once we tamed them, they settled and had the time of their lives. So many things to do outdoors. Gardening, caring for the horses, mucking out the stables, riding, walking, and visiting the ghost town. Genny, in turn, loves the company. The staff does all the chores, so she’s had fun for the first time and has time to do many crafts. She sells them to those who visit.”


They had accomplished something that truly worked. Both of them needed each other, but unless someone could be in his shoes and look after Genny, he couldn’t leave. The idea of sailing away with his daughter was the only thing that could tempt him away from her side. Yet now that Victoria had revealed the truth about herself, it seemed possible. How would Genny take it? He smiled, anticipating her shocked and surprised reaction.


Before long, the plane touched down at Amarillo. Marcus collected his small case and caught a taxi to his friend’s car sales near the outskirts. He usually parked his OHV (off-highway vehicle) here when he went to Dallas from time to time. After a drive of a few hours, he’d be home. His friend Max offered him a cup of coffee before he left.

‘You seem very happy?” said Max.

“I had a wonderful visit with my daughter this morning. It’s changed everything for me.”

“What happened?”

“Well, for one thing, she cares about me. She also wants to go away with me, sailing, of all things. She’ll let me know when.”

“Sounds like she has a bit of money. What an adventure for you!”

“You have no idea.” Marcus laughed. It would be hard to explain his daughter’s lifestyle.


He filled up with fuel before going to the store to pick up his orders for the Ranch. He always grabbed the things they needed when he came into the city. He checked the time. He’d be back before nightfall, provided he had no problems on the way. Genny would be waiting for him.


***


As he neared the Ranch, he remembered the first time he had seen it many years ago. Back then, he rode a horse. The house sat on a rise, surrounded by other buildings and several trees. Being in an isolated part of the country meant there were no other dwellings to be seen. A once flourishing nearby town had descended into obscurity and ruin, abandoned long ago. It had become an excellent excursion for visitors who wanted to see a ghost town. Finally, he turned off the larger dirt road onto a narrower one which led directly to the house. Though the house was still a long way, traveling by vehicle meant it would be no time before he was home.


The sizeable Spanish-style rustic home was constructed from thick wooden posts. Beams projected from the top corners of the house. The stucco walls had been smoothed with hard-baked dirt, compacted, smoothed, and coated in an orangey fawn. A covered verandah at the front divided the lower and upper floors. The flat roof with a parapet around it made it the perfect lookout for miles around. A high tower provided a small third floor with an even better lookout. Matthew had grown to love this home partly due to his memories of living here earlier. Now, he and Genny had forged new memories.


The dusty road led up the rise and around to the back door. He felt more comfortable going in through the kitchen. This had been modernized from the earlier days and had lost the open-fire cozy appeal it once had, but he preferred this entrance at the end of a long day. He didn’t want to meet with too many visitors and staff. He mainly wanted to catch up with Genny.


He knocked and walked in. “Hello, I’m back.”

Genny came out of her rooms to the left of the kitchen. “Hello, Marcus. Glad you’re back.”

He could smell the aroma of cooking, though dinner was over. Some staff were working in the kitchen, cleaning up after the main meal.

“Can you get Marcus something to eat, please? He’ll have it in my sitting room. And can you please get someone to empty all the supplies from the back of Marcus’ vehicle? Some of them may need to be refrigerated or put in the pantry. Please see to it.”


He followed her into her sitting room. This part of the house had originally been a few small rooms for extra guests, but Genny had decided to convert them into her sitting room and bedroom. A third small room had become her craft and sewing room. It was so much easier than sleeping upstairs and having to climb the stairs several times a day.


“How are you, my dear?” said Marcus, sitting at the table in preparation for his meal.

“Oh, we’ve been ticking along just fine. How did your daughter’s exhibition go?”

“Very well, thank you. It was well supported as she is very talented. I’ve learned a lot about art. I’ve learned some other interesting things as well.” He took the photo from his pocket and handed it to her.”

“Oh, my goodness! This is old. My dear Mum and me. I remember when this was taken but have never seen it. My Mum died not long afterward.”

“Victoria gave it to me. She left in such a rush years ago that she had taken the old retro camera with her. She had the film developed and gave me this one to show you. Also, she thanked you for the lovely, knitted scarf.”

“I’m glad she liked it. The camera was my mother’s, given to her as a gift. I never even missed it.”

‘I also found out why she left in such a rush.”

‘What happened? You were upset about it for ages after.”

“Your great nephew Luke is what happened. He accosted Victoria, scared and threatened her, and she felt she should leave. He thought that she would be all his if he threatened to get his father to get rid of me, an ex-crim.”

‘What a troublesome cad he was. I had no idea.”

“There’s more. Your mother also took photos of the family tree from the old family Bible. When Victoria saw them, she made a startling family connection.”

“What is it?”

“The good news is you can now write another name in the list. There is no bad news except that it would have changed so many things if we had known about it sooner.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, for one thing, that sleaze Luke may not have come onto my daughter had he known she’s his second cousin.”

Genny’s face looked blank. “What do you mean?”

“The photo I gave you is you when you were younger. Victoria’s Aunt Ruth has a similar photo of you.”

“Ruth? I have a daughter called Ruth!”

My daughter was brought up by your daughter Ruth. Victoria is Rose’s daughter. My beloved Rose who died . . .”

“My other daughter is Rose. So, Victoria is my granddaughter!”

“I can’t figure out why you never came to our wedding. I know you received an invite, didn’t you?”

Genny’s eyes filled with tears. “I – I didn’t attend the wedding on principle. I didn’t want my beautiful daughter to marry you with your criminal record. I know she loved you, but I could see problems. Seems silly now that I’ve learned you are my son-in-law. I had nothing to fear. If I’d only known.”

“Life can be funny, can’t it. But think of all the wasted years Victoria should have spent here getting to know you. But I’m sure she’ll come more often now. You can count on her if anything happens to me. I’m sure you could go to Ruth’s Ranch as well.”

Genny had tears rolling down her cheeks. “My dear, Marcus. You have been such a blessing to me. And now you’ve helped me find one daughter and my only grandchild. Poor Rose. What happened to her?”

“She died of cancer years ago. Ruth looked after both her and Victoria. I visit her grave each time I go to Dallas. I promise to take you there one day. Or Victoria will.”

“I’d like that.”

“One day, I need to take a trip with Victoria, and I may not be able to return. I’m not worried about that anymore, as you have family who can ensure you are alright. Ruth and Jack are super people.”

“We’ll talk about that another time, shall we? Here’s your dinner, Marcus. Tuck in. I've got a lot to think about Give me a hug, son-in-law!”

THE END

July 12, 2024 12:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Jim LaFleur
10:26 Jul 20, 2024

What a heartwarming story! The journey of Marcus and Victoria was beautifully written, and the family revelations were truly touching. I loved the way you intertwined their past and present, leading to such a fulfilling conclusion. Great job, Kaitlyn!

Reply

10:29 Jul 20, 2024

Thanks, Jim. Means a lot after a disastrous couple of weeks,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
19:25 Jul 14, 2024

What a fun story about the joy of family relationships! I’m glad they all had a happy ending!

Reply

10:55 Jul 18, 2024

Thank you. Have had no time to read or write and our PC has broken down. Hopefully, I'll be back into it next week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:25 Jul 12, 2024

Think you called Marcus 'Matthew' once. There were some details that seemed to have little to do with the main story so I felt confused at times. Lots of names and relationships for this aging brain to keep up with. Overall, fulfilling family connection.

Reply

11:25 Jul 13, 2024

Thanks for reading. Definitely Marcus in this story, and in a number of earlier ones. (There is a Matthew character as well) Family connection is definitely what it was about. Such a coincidence that it all worked out. Story not entered for a number of reasons. One being, that it doesn't really fit the adventure prompt. Last and this coming week are crazy busy. I will do my best to read my fave authors stories when I can.

Reply

09:57 Jul 19, 2024

Hi Mary. About to finally read some more of yours! Been out of town, Our PC is broken down, snitched my husband's laptop this evening (small is bad for my eyesight), and even my old cell phone wasn't properly cloned to my new one with my techy daughter in Rarotonga, and not able to save me. Even reading stories has been impossible. Just a thought about your 1st comment. Marcus Trent has been a character in a number of stories. To prompts 236, 239, and 243. These have a chronological yet standalone relationship. The latest that didn't fit th...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
13:59 Jul 12, 2024

A wonderful family reunion !!! I enjoyed this one, Kaitlyn ! You kept me wanting to find out more and more about the secret. Splendid work here !

Reply

11:19 Jul 13, 2024

Thanks Alexis! It doesn't cater to the adventure part of the prompt so wasn't going to be entered. The photo, the information about the daughter being Genny's granddaughter, her father being the son-in-law mean the Aunt Ruth (Genny's second daughter) will be around for her mother Genny and Marcus can go away with his daughter to have the adventure . . . The story is longer and so had to stop at the point I did. Not entered, also because I didn't have time to fiddle around trying to use a different card that may make a payment. The week befor...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.