THE PRESCRIPTION

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story that takes place in a waiting room.... view prompt

2 comments

General

Patience was never one of Susan’s strong points. She recalled with a smirk that one of her friends in response to her asking where she herself, was when patience was handed round, had replied:

“Standing behind a locked door.” his voice was smooth “in fact a locked wooden door.” he laughed, she was miffed.

Many years had passed since she heard the comment but it had not lost its sting because, after all, Drew knew her too well which was probably one of the reasons the romance like most embers died out, to be replaced later on by a much stronger flame.

Here she was, waiting for her GP to arrive.  It was long passed the appointed time and Ursula the receptionist was taking it so calmly. She clearly had stood behind the glass door and the handle was easier to open when patience was handed round.

“I’m awfully sorry folks.” said Ursula “There has been an emergency. This time Dr Smith is the patient.” she smiled “Meanwhile the locum is on his way, but maybe a while yet, given the traffic. Should you wish to stay, you are welcome to do so, or, I can arrange another appointment.”

There were a few who apologised, but their commitments warranted a ‘re schedule’, two more who were quite rude, and stormed out. Susan contrary to expectation calmly said 

“I can wait, provided I can get a coffee.”

“Yes good.” said Ursula “I need one too at the rate we are going!”

“Can I get you one?” asked Susan

Ursula’s face lit up like a torch as she nodded. “Oh, would you …please?”

“What about you Mrs Timmins?” asked Ursula “Can Mrs Bond get you a coffee?”

Mrs Timmins hesitated.

“What about a hot chocolate, instead?” asked Susan.

“Now that would be nice,” said Mrs Timmins scrubbing around in her purse for money.

“I will get it.” said Susan “It can be my treat.”

Upon her return, there was still no sign of the locum. Mrs Timmins clearly enjoyed hot chocolate and Ursula needed a thimbleful of scotch in her latte. The phone was going hammer and tongs, and Susan had forgotten her novel and was fed up with word games on her mobile. Just as well her latte was perfect.

The door opened and in came a young boy. He was known to the practice but felt ill. Ursula explained the situation and he sat down, however it was not long before he was convulsing.

Susan on automatic pilot, checked for signs of choking, supported his head and the others watched on, amazed, all waiting for the seizure to pass. Meantime the locum had arrived and asked if he could help because it looked like things were under control.

Susan’s heart almost skipped a beat: she had been watching the young boy and had not seen Drew’s arrival. She had only just been thinking of him. In fact, he was not a medical student when she knew him

“Hello Susan,” said Drew “nice to see you again.” turning to Mrs Timmins

“Would you mind if I saw to young Benjamin before you Ma’am?”

“I’ve got all day Doctor.” Mrs Timmins smiled “besides I would rather like to finish the hot chocolate”

“Much better idea,” agreed Drew "enjoy”

It did not take long: Benjamin was on his way home. Afternoon surgery would not be affected by the delay, and she, Susan, would be long gone before any further fracas developed. She breathed a sigh of relief but was anxious about the locum.

It was her turn soon enough. How many years had it been since the halcyon days?  Twenty?

He had a slight stoop, but then he was tall, There, were flecks of grey in the sandy hair, the same smooth voice in a range somewhere between radio and evangelist. Susan’s given she was a primary school teacher was somewhere between radio and radioactive.

“Thank you for dealing with the patient Susan. Epilepsy does not seem to faze you.”

“One of my students is prone to it,” she said, almost apologetically.

“I see. So, you became a teacher after all.” she nodded “nonetheless I’m sure Ursula appreciated your dealing with the lad” he turned back to face her and sat at the desk.

“I don’t remember what you were studying.” she lied

“Pharmacy was the aim, my sister Jenny wanted to be a doctor. We were studying together one long wet weekend and I looked over towards her notes. She caught me looking at the research and laughed. What she was doing was far more interesting; it was the decider.”

“Did she end up a Doctor, Drew.?

“Sadly, no Susan, she was killed in a car accident. She was twenty-one.”

Susan was shattered. She remembered Jenny; short, kind, always thinking of others. The Drew she remembered and loved was a gentle bloke whom her parents approved of. When it was over, she met Edward or Ted. It was good for a time but, out of the blue Ted left her taking their son. 

“Well I have come for a new prescription and would you check the rash on my neck, please?” said Susan aware of the time ticking, and her emotions churning like butter.

“Sure.” Drew was meticulous, used a little light, checked her glands and smiled “I don’t think it’s a problem, Susan, I  can get you some cream but have you tried Lanolin?"

“No,” said Susan

“It is safe, gets rid of the itch and heals,” Drew smiled again “sadly there is only one prescription for your broken heart.”

“How did you know?”

“I held that heart in mine once Susan I let it go in favour of someone else’s.”

“Are you happy?”

“About as happy as you are if I’m honest. After everything went pear-shaped, I took a year off and travelled and that’s why I’m a locum, with no fixed practice address.” he printed her prescription.

“Could you go a coffee or lunch or… for old times’ sake?” Drew asked.

“Yes, of course, I could.” said Susan “I’d like that very much.”

He had changed, the young man who had been a little superior in those youth club days where life was carefree and uneventful. 

Susan had often wondered what became of him.  She assumed it happened to some others because she could not be the only one who felt some people whether they knew it or not, left a part of themselves on your heart: like a footprint that could not be erased.

This time if fate permitted, Susan would mend, and keep Drew Winter’s heart…sorry, Dr Drew Winter’s heart.

Claire Tennant

July 09, 2020 02:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sam Kirk
01:08 Jul 16, 2020

A heartwarming story that teaches us that sometimes the timing is not right.

Reply

Claire Tennant
04:16 Jul 16, 2020

Yes, that's a point. Thank you Sam

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.