2 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

On arrival at the small airport on the island, the humid heat immediately enveloped me. By the time I passed through Immigration, I was dripping with sweat. My thin blouse was soaked and plastered on my back. I was pleasantly surprised to see my name sign among the sea of faces lined up in the sweltering heat at Arrivals. I didn't remember having booked a shuttle pickup from the airport. However, Iago Hotel, my final destination, had sent a driver.

We took a scenic route of winding curves in the tropical paradise. As we parked outside Iago Hotel's main entrance, a young grinning porter clad in a batik suit came out and greeted me in a singsong voice, with an air of familiarity. Another staff member in the lobby proffered a fruit cocktail and a warm facecloth with a minty fragrance to soothe my sweating brow.

"Welcome, Ms Hino! Welcome to the island? How was your trip?" said the very friendly receptionist in multi-coloured tropical attire.

"Call me, Ida. Thank you very much for organising transport from the airport. It is much appreciated. Phew! I didn't realise this place could be so hot," I responded.

"Yes, we are in the height of the summer season Madam Ida, the most popular time of our tourist year. My name is Dwayne. I am on duty this evening. Let's get you allocated to your room. By the way, congratulations on winning the free three nights accommodation package. I hope you had a nice flight over and got our e-mail before you left?"

"No, I have been in transit and haven't connected for over 8 hours. Trying to take a break from technology, and I am also not roaming. Did it contain something important?"

"Well, nothing for you to worry about. It's just the hotel has a slight problem."

"What do you mean a slight problem? Do I have a room or not?"

"Well, Madam Ida, yes, you had a room…" I interrupted before the receptionist finished his sentence.

"Please explain because the sooner I get checked into my room, the better. I could do with a cold shower and a cool drink."

"We are unfortunately overbooked, and one wing of the hotel is under renovation. We thought you wouldn't mind sharing with another single lady. You might have a lot in common. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience."

"I know this package was on special. Are you telling me I'm sharing with a total stranger for the three nights I am here? It is unacceptable! Is this how you treat your guests? I have a good mind to pay for decent accommodation somewhere else."

"Madam Ida, we have checked around the island for rooms within the price range of your prize, and there's nothing available. Even the guest house, which usually takes our overflow, is full to the brim. All that's left are places in upmarket facilities, the five-star hotels."

"So you are telling me that you only discovered about your overbooking just before I left? If I had known, I would have stayed at home. What sort of prize is this?"

"We apologise profusely, and as compensation, we have upgraded you to the two single interconnecting bedrooms with a shared lounge connected to a balcony with a sea view. You have your own en-suite. The porter will explain all the extras we've thrown in to make your stay more comfortable."

"Do I have many choices considering the only daily flight back to the mainland left half an hour ago? You'll not hear the last of this. Who's sharing with me?

"It's a Miss Gertrude Chini. I think she is out at the moment, probably by the pool. I'm sure you will get along. Biggie, please escort Madam Ida to the family suite."

I arrived on the 4th Floor and was mesmerised by the fantastic sea view. One couldn't fault the new décor in the recurring island theme with its fresh flowers in all hues. I needed an afternoon siesta, and within half an hour, I was fast asleep. I had set my alarm for a 6 pm wake up call in time for early supper on the balcony. I can't have been asleep for long when the thumping beat of loud reggae music from the lounge woke me, accompanied by high pitched voices and laughter; unmistakable beginnings of a small sundowner party. Half dressed, I popped my head around the door. A young man lounging on the sofa cast his eyes briefly in my direction before I could make out who the several occupants were in the smoke-filled lounge, which now had a pungent smell I didn't recognise. The nameless man got up and approached a middle-aged woman wearing tight shorts and a luminous pink blouse, rocking away to the beat, clearly under the influence of something. I couldn't make out what he said, but his words made an impression on her. She lowered the volume as several other occupants turned to stare as the woman meandered towards me.

"Oh, you must be my roommate, Ida. I'm Gertrude. The receptionist told me about sharing with you. Welcome to the island! I'm having an impromptu get together with a few of my new friends and completely forgot to check whether you had arrived. Come and join us! There are snacks and drink and, of course, music!"

I waved a hand feebly in greeting while plastering a weak smile. Still jet-lagged, I decided against joining the party. Gertrude soon lost interest and went back to join her friends. Someone slowly started to increase the volume again. What did one have to do to get any peace around here? I had had enough.

"Hello, its room 405. Is that Reception? Who is speaking? Yes, Dwayne, its Ida here. Yes, about the small party. Yes, I came for a break, not to sleep next door to a disco. I have already asked Gertrude to reduce the volume once, and, yes, it's best coming from you. Thank you. While I'm at it, please put me through to the restaurant to order room service. Thank you!"

Silence returned after a while until there was a timid knock on the main door. My food had arrived.

"I'm sorry it took so long. The chef started the fresh seafood platter from scratch. What happened here?" The waiter looked at me and I replied,

" You are asking me? I can't have my meal in the lounge. Can you see the state of it?"

The waiter's expression spoke volumes as he gingerly placed my tray on a coffee table in my bedroom and left. Food remains, bottles and empty cans were everywhere in the lounge. I was still taking all this in when there was yet another knock. A chambermaid entered with a cleaning trolley. While she was putting some order in the room, I had no choice but to eat propped on my bed. The quarters were beginning to resemble a railway station as my bedroom telephone started ringing.

"Madam Ida. Its Dwayne again. I am so sorry! The waiter explained about the state of your lounge and balcony. I will talk to Madam Gertrude when she returns if I am still on duty."

I soon resumed my sleep. Halfway through my slumber, I felt a sharp dig in my back. Turning on the light in fright, I screamed, only to discover that Gertrude had joined me in bed.

"Gertrude! What on earth are you playing at? You scared me half to death!"

Looking half-dazed, she turned to me while wrapping her clothes more tightly to conceal her dishevelment. She stared around the room in confusion before offering a groggy apology. In her drunken stupor, Gertrude realised she was in the wrong bedroom. As she left, the silence returned only to be broken once again, by my bedside phone.

"Sorry, Madam Ida. It's Mavis from reception. I have taken over from Dwayne. I am sorry to trouble you. Your neighbour in 407 heard a scream from your quarters and wanted us to check whether all is well."

"All is well, Mavis. Everything is sorted," I responded sharply.

The next morning, I went on my early run, trying to recapture the spirit of the vacation I had dreamt of, sun, sea and sand. Early morning anglers were already selling their catch as couples strolled hand in hand. They reminded me of my relationship, which had recently fallen apart. At the reception, Dwayne was already in attendance.

"Madam Ida, I hear you had some drama during your first night on the island? We are so sorry! The minute another room becomes vacant, we'll move you. It would be best for our reputation if you didn't leave our island with a bad impression. Would you like your breakfast outside?"

As I approached the pool, I saw a familiar hand waving and beckoning me. Gertrude, fully recovered, was engrossed in eating what appeared to be everything from the buffet.

"Come and join me! The waiter can clear space for you on my table. Come, come! You are most welcome. I didn't get a chance to talk to you yesterday, and I am sorry about the mishap in the middle of the night. I'm not in the habit of joining total strangers in their beds! I hope you had some decent sleep."

What was one supposed to say? I joined Gertrude, and in the light of day, she was more friendly than I imagined. Although weather-beaten, she was wearing her dreadlocks in a chignon and a transparent, garish sarong on top of her bright red bikini. Gertrude was well endowed, with bright red lipstick and her thick pencilled-in eyebrows darted up and down as she carried on her animated conversation.

"How was the beach this morning? I don't have the energy to wake up so early on vacation. I have a short boat ride, and then I am leaving today. How time has flown!"

           I was already envisaging the shared suite, all to myself and half-listening as Gertrude regaled her holiday stories in between mouthfuls. That evening, after Gertrude's departure, I decided to treat myself and take a taxi ride to the nearest five-star hotel with a reputation for its nightlife. Dwayne booked a taxi for me. However, on arrival, I discovered my wallet was missing. I could feel sweat trickling down my face as the taxi driver abruptly turned to me.

"Madam, are you sure you even brought your purse? There's not much point in me leaving you here. Let's go back, and you can check in your hotel. You owe me for the round trip."

On arrival, Dwayne did a double-take as he realised that something was wrong.

"Madam Gertrude, you are back early. Did you even get to the hotel?"

I shook my head as I headed for the lift. It was quiet in my bedroom except for the sounds of the crickets outside. The housekeeper had been, and everything appeared in order. I rummaged through my suitcase, yet I still couldn't find my wallet which I now remembered also contained my passport. Dwayne had already contacted hotel security, which put me through a barrage of questions: Had the items been stolen? Could it have been the hotel staff or Gertrude who had vacated the room earlier in the day?

All I was concerned about was how was I going to leave the island without my credit cards, passport and air ticket? Dwayne was as sympathetic as ever.

"Madam Ida. I am so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through. I suggest you go upstairs and rest. We will bring you a complimentary supper, and not charge you for making the relevant phone calls to cancel your credit cards. As for the passport, you will have to try and get a temporary travel document in the morning if nothing turns up by the time you check out."

           The lift ride back to my room increased my despair as I cursed; why was I always falling for cheap schemes, discount hotels with no safes, rooms shared with total strangers? The only good thing out of the trip was the free air tickets.

A few hours later that evening, Mavis appeared, red-eyed, accompanied by the hotel security.

"Madam Ida. On behalf of the hotel staff, we are so sorry! Somebody handed in your wallet this afternoon. They found it at the restaurant by the pool, and it's been sitting in the Lost and Found locker. We've been so busy that no one opened it to identify its owner. It's yours, and we trust everything is intact?" My only hope was that the remainder of my holiday would be free from any more dramas.







March 04, 2021 12:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

08:55 Mar 11, 2021

Hello! This holiday sounds like a nightmare! It was stressful even reading about it! I liked the different direction you took this prompt in. Most of the stories I have read for this prompt have gone the romantic route, I enjoyed that you tried something different. :) Minor editing point, near the end, Dwayne says "Madam Gertrude, you are back early. Did you even get to the hotel?" -- that was a little confusing. Did you mean Ida, or is this a pov shift? Otherwise, good job, well done! :)

Reply

NK Hatendi
22:23 Mar 11, 2021

Thank you very much for the words of encouragement and for spotting the error. Sometimes when one has been looking at a piece of writing for too long, the mistakes become a blur. I, therefore, appreciate the feedback on the error. It is Ida, not Gertrude.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.