Angie's all about baby dragons

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: There’s been an accident — what happens next?... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Drama Friendship

The woman with the remarkably long silvery hair who always suits up for events like today's rubs her fingertips gently over the paper. She doesn't smile often, but as she finished the last sentence of the manuscript late at night, the corners of her mouth turned up. She squinted slightly when the first rays of sunshine appeared and the outline of her human-sized figure, Athena, moved across her creation. A positive omen?


She approached the door and halted for a while. Her head rotated to the side, ensuring the manuscript faced down so the sun's rays did not bleach the ink. She double-checked everything she touched or did, even if it was as simple as closing the door. 


"No reason to be nervous," she murmured aloud, straightening her Ellie Saab Asymmetric red Crepe Dress. 


The door creaked when she opened it, but it didn't bother her today. She moved slowly down the few stairs into the entrance hall, her shoes echoing off the marble floor. 


She paused and gestured to the butler. The butler approached the main door, which was as tall and broad as a church door. She let out a faint sigh. Typically she avoids parties and events like this, but this time...


"Aunt Willie," the girl with the blonde side braids exclaimed cheerfully. The girl dashed towards the woman and stumbled in front of her. Willie caught the girl in time.


"Honey, how often do I tell you not to run around like that in the entrance hall?" Willie spoke quietly but with strength in her voice, running her fingers through the girl's hair.


She paused a few seconds; the little girl looked at her, waiting…


"OK...now...go to the living room. You'll find a surprise there."


"What a surprise. So, what is it?” She hopped around her aunt light-footed. “Aunt Willie, tell me. What is this surprise? Do I get a pony?" 


“What, a pony? No, little one. Not yet. Go, Angie. I'll be there shortly. OK? I need to talk with your mother about something.”


Aunt Willie kissed the girl on the forehead and watched her nearly stumble again after a few feet. A smile spread across the aunt's face as she shook her head.


She turned towards Angie's Mother and how the woman held her hand caught her eye. Willie attempted to grab the woman's hand, but she backed away at the last moment.


"Does it still hurt?"


"It is fine. It is nothing."


"If you say so. You know you can tell me everything.”


"I understand, Willie. So, what was so crucial today that we had to cancel everything?"


Willie raised her chin, her smile so big that the other woman couldn't take her gaze away.


"I've never seen you smile like that before; I had no idea you had such sharp teeth," the woman replied in a cheeky tone.


Willie let out a bright laugh.


"Come on. Angie is already looking forward to finding out what surprises await her. I will tell you later what wonderful thing just happened.”


"Now you have me curious," the woman said, pausing to gaze at Willie. Her happy countenance shifted to solemn. "I know you intend well for Angie, Willie, but the constant surprises do her more harm than good. You spoil her too much."


“Oh, come on. Let the old woman have some fun," Willie remarked, tugging her on the arm.


“Come on?... Willie are you learning how normal people are speaking.”


“Just want to integrate more in the society of normal people,” her tone had an ironic flavor.


The two women proceeded down the entrance hall; the hall had a contemporary touch with plain white walls. The magnificent console table at the central point of the hall rounds up.


Angie's mother drew to a halt when they passed a room. Her eyes appeared broader. Aunt Willie moved in front of her, reaching out one hand and touching the woman's hand. She did not pull away this time, but Willie could hear her swallowing loudly.


"Angie is waiting, my dear."


Only the sound of footsteps through the marble disturbed the silence; it was unusual. 


Willie took a sideways glimpse at the woman's expression. It appeared to have been petrified, and her pale complexion made her expression even more intense. This changed when she discovered her daughter Angie waving at her from the living room entry. 


She stretched her arms, and Angie, who mirrored her mother's characteristics, fluttered towards her like a leaf in the wind, her arms spread wide.


"Mommy, Mommy...where you have been?" The girl grabbed her mother's hand and nearly drew her into the living room. 


The mother giggled as she returned her gaze to Willie. Willie stood with her arms crossed, smiling. Her smile faded as the woman turned her attention back to Angie.


Willie returned to the entrance hall and headed upstairs. She came to a halt after only one stairstep. Her breathing quickened, and she looked to the room through which both women had previously passed. It was a time when she enjoyed the room where she could fantasize, sob, hope, and write children's stories.


Now, is this room closed, and the clutching massive crossbar that serves as the gate bolt ensures that no one enters. Never.


A shriek sprang out. Willie flinched and looked in that way. Angie's mother ran towards her, sobbing.


"I can't... find...


"Calm down," Willie spoke with a troubled tone, but her eyes were filled with expression as she gazed at Angie's mother. "Breathe softly and start again with ‘I can't'."


"I can't find Angie," she said a few seconds later. She got down on her knees and repeated more wildly. "I can't find Angie."


"What? She cannot be far away. She's probably hiding again."


"Hiding," the woman's voice nearly breaks. "Remember what happened the last time she hid?" she asked, pointing to the room with the enormous crossbar.


"This room is locked, and she can't get in. Come on, let us go through the rooms one by one."


"It continues happening because you tell her the same old stories. She would never consider hiding or fleeing."


"Stop now. You can blame me later, but now we're focused on finding Angie. She cannot be far away. It's best if we split up. Okay?"


The woman nodded and went to the opposite entryway, where she believed Angie was. Angie discovered numerous of her favorite hiding areas in this massive complex, where a non-resident would most likely require a map.


Willie walked upstairs and came to a stop in the corridor. She grabbed her hair and tugged it. She always did that when she thought about something or felt affected emotionally.


"Angie! Angie!"


No answer. She repeated, again, and again calling Angie’s name. But still no answer. 


The door creaked. Willie only knew of one door on this floor that creaked so loudly: the one leading to her studio. She moved slowly to the door, opened it with two fingers, and looked inside.


Angie sat in front of the open fireplace, holding her manuscript. Willie charged at Angie with long strides. She attempted to call out to her, but her voice broke. When she heard Willie's footsteps, Angie smiled and held up a piece of paper.


"Aunt Willie," the girl enthusiastically called. Willie gazed at her and caressed her cheek, where half of her brand markings could still be seen. 


Angie took another glance at the pile of papers. Willie swallowed, took her up, and hugged her gently.


"Angie, don't go so far toward the fire. It is risky. The fire could hurt you again like it did the last time. Do you hear, Angie?"


"I felt cold, Aunt Willie," the girl insisted, showing her a paper with an illustration. "I like your story."


"You read my story?"


The girl nodded and pointed to the stack of papers.


"The dragon in your story has the same name as mine… Angie." The small girl chuckled.


"I agree, Angie. Do you know why the dragon shares your name?”


Angie shrugged her shoulders.


"Because the dragon survived a fire, just like you. The dragon was a baby, just like you were. The baby dragon was not ready for the fire. So, she got burnt. At first, the dragon was afraid, but then the dragon created a new story.”


"Did the dragon have an accident like me?"


"Angie, you're just too smart for me! Yes, indeed...it was an accident. The dragon was just a baby.” Willie gulped several times before returning her gaze to Angie. "You know what, Angie. The story the dragon created is much better now!"


Angie giggled again. Willie placed the girl onto the floor and left the room hand in hand with her. Angie's mother burst into tears when she saw her little child in the foyer.


September 12, 2024 13:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jim LaFleur
08:58 Sep 13, 2024

What a beautifully crafted story! I loved the way you wove in the themes of resilience and hope. Keep up the fantastic work!

Reply

Renate Buchner
11:42 Sep 13, 2024

I tried a new writing approach for this story because I find it easier to write stories full of action and adventure. Jim, I appreciate your opinion. This signifies I'm heading correctly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.