The Watcher

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

My vision seemed to fade in and out as I ran through the woods, jumping over fallen branches and dodging bushes and thorns. There was a distinct sound of heavier footsteps running after me, and I think growls?


My chest was tight as the cold air entered my lungs rapidly. I felt the burning sore pain in my legs from running for so long. I did my best to dodge the snow and ice that littered the woods along with the steep hills. All I had was the light from the full moon to guide my way. I needed to find a place to hide. A place to get warm, and a place to get away from whatever was chasing me.


I had to stop before I ran down a steep hill. I tried to examine it quickly to see if it was safe. My breathing was heavy and ragged, and my chest hurt. My whole body hurt. It felt like it was both freezing and burning at the same time.


Panic. That was what was driving me keeping me going, as I felt air brush past me as if something was trying to grab me. Without a second thought, I ran down the hill praying that I wouldn't fall. But it seemed that luck wasn't on my side as I slipped and tumbled down hitting branches and thorns. I was quickly covered in mud and leaves. Once I finally hit the bottom my head was slammed against something hard making me feel dizzy and lightheaded, but I had to keep moving.


I tried to stand but just fell back to my knees panting a little my body didn't want to comply with what my mind screamed at it to do. I panted weakly my body wishing for rest...craving it. I saw feet, then legs of someone standing in front of me. It was a woman. "Here take my hand we don't have much time, they'll be here any moment." she offered her hand to me and through my blurry vision, I took it.


. . .


The crackle of the fire was calming, feeling heat return to me made me relax as I sipped on the tea the woman had given to me. "How are you feeling my dear?" she asked looking me over worry covering her face.


"B-better ma'am..." I whispered I was still shaking from the cold but the fire was helping. "Thank you...for helping me..." I tried to muster up a smile but I simply lacked the energy I could barely sit myself up at this point.


The house was small but extremely cozy. It was a hollow tree she turned into a home. "Of course I couldn't just leave someone out there who was in need. These woods are not a safe place. Especially at night." she explained to me but her voice was fading as sleep crept up on me once again.


I was gently shaken back awake. "You can't sleep just yet." the woman said urgently and I struggled to focus on her my slow and steady heart beating echoing in my ears.


'bump bump, bump bump.'


"Wha-...why?" I mumbled before I was shushed gently.


'bump bump.'


She held something to my lips and it wasn't the tea. Its taste made me sputter and cough hard as I had inhaled some. It burned. My eyes looked up at her my nostrils flaring from my deep breaths. "What's wrong?" she moved some hair from my sweaty face.


"Burns." I croaked in a raspy tone before coughing. I just wanted to sleep. Tears pricked my eyes.


"I know but this will help heal you and keep them from finding you," she said holding the disgusting liquid to my lips once more and I couldn't keep a whine from escaping my lips but I managed to drink it without coughing it back up.


"What was that?" I groaned in a slightly upset tone a yawn escaping my lips.


"I already told you." she smiled as my eyes finally closed and I felt my body slump as I fell into a dizzy and dreamless sleep.


I woke up to the sound of birds chirping and squirrels running over the leaves. When I opened my eyes the first thing I saw was the woman...she had saved my life. She saved me from whatever had been chasing me. Cleaned me up and help my wounds.


"Oh good! Your up! How do you feel?" she smiled as I sat up slowly.


"Better...thanks to you." I had a lot more energy compared to last night.


"That's good, breakfast is almost ready." she smiled.


"Um...who are you? Why did you help me? What was chasing me?" the question's left my mouth before I could stop them or process that I had said them.


She didn't seem upset that I just ask so many questions which I was thankful for. "Well, I'm a Watcher." she started sitting in front of me.


I tilted my head and furrowed my brows. "Whats a Watcher?"


"I guess you can say I look after the forest and keep it safe including those who get chased by the Forgotten."


"Forgotten?"


"The Forgotten are dark and evil creatures who roam the forest and hunt people like you."


"What happens if they catch you?" my voice shook a little.


"They'll either kill you..." my heart shot into my throat. "Or turn you into one of them. Once a Forgotten has your sent it will stop at nothing to hunt you down."


"Is that why you made me drink whatever that stuff was last night?" she nodded and I relaxed a little. "So they're not hunting me anymore?" she nodded again. "So...what do I do now?"


"I will help guide you out of the woods so you're able to go home." this made me frown as it seemed for the first time I realized I can't remember anything before I entered the woods.


"I don't remember anything before I got into the woods. I just remember being chased by the Forgotten and then meeting you. I can't even recall what my name was." I looked down sadly.


"That means you are to be trained as the new Watcher of these woods."



April 14, 2020 16:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.