0 comments

General

Promp: turning to a friend in a time of need. 

Title: Death of a Husband


 Preamble 


Marriage 


When Shelly married Gordon, it was because she wanted a wedding and he was the first one to propose to her. No, really, that’s why. 


Why did he marry her? Probably because she reminded him of his ex-wife. Even though he would deny that. 


So they got married. A bed of roses it wasn’t. Although there were more ups than downs it just seemed like the other way around. 


Both got diabetes, but it seemed harder on him. The thing was besides diabetes he had a lot of pain in his neck and sleep apnea. 


While they lived in California it wasn’t so bad. He had his family near by and got regular treatment for his neck. With the pain subsided the rest could be manageable. 


It was after they moved to another state that things became difficult. They had to start all over again to get the treatment he needed. 

Finally he got treatment approved and an appointment with the doctor who would give him his first treatment. They arrived at the hospital with high hopes. He would at last start feeling better. 


He got called in to the exam room. Shortly afterwards he returned to the waiting room. He looked very disappointed. He explained the doctor wasn’t coming in due to personal reasons. 


As they left the hospital Shelly heard him say I give up. More than any other reason, Shelly thinks that’s why he died. 


Death of a husband


Shelly and Gordon sat in front of the t.v. They were watching one of their favorite shows. During a commercial break he looked at her. “If I didn’t know any better I’d think I was having a heart attack. But it’s my right arm that is hurting. Isn’t supposed to be the left one?”


Shelly nodded her head. “I think so,” she said and started watching the show again. 


The show ended and the two went into the other room to play games on their computers. The phone rang. It was Gordon’s friend. Gordon spoke cheerfully to him. 


Gordon hung up the phone. “I’m not hurting any more. I guess it was nothing.

Shelly smiled. “I’m glad to hear that,” she said and yawned. “I’m getting tired,” she added. 


Gordon wrapped his arms around her and gave her a tender kiss. “Let’s go to bed.”


They got into bed, kissed again and rolled away so they were back to back. “I love you,” she said and went to sleep. It was three in the morning when she woke up. She had been dreaming and thought noise she heard was part of her dream. It took several mintiest before she realized it wasn’t. 


Shelly woke to a strange noise. At first she thought it was her husband’s sleep apnea machine. She was about to tell him to to turn it off when she realized the sound came from her husband. 


When she saw how how he was laying fear struck her heart. She tried everything she could think of including CPR to wake him. 


Finally she had to face the truth. She called 911. The EMT’s and ambulance arrived. Her husband was carried out on a gurney and placed in the ambulance. 


Shelly went next door in hopes her neighbor could take her to the hospital. “Who is it? What do you want?” Came an angry voice. After learning what was going on she willingly took Shelly. 


Shelly completely stressed and with tears running down her face couldn’t stop pacing the floor of the waiting room. 


A nurse came into the room and told Shelly to follow her into the E.R Shelly walked into the room and saw her husband laying on the table. His eyes were closed and he wasn’t breathing. She walked over to him and held his hand. 


“Honey if you can come back to me please do. If not and you see the light it is ok to go into it.” Shelly kissed him on the forehead then left and went back to the waiting room. 


A while later the nurse came back and asked Shelly to come with her back to the E.R. “We are sorry ma’am, but there is nothing more we can do,” the doctor told her. “He most likely had a heart attack. We can do an autopsy if you want.”


Shelly shook her head. “No don’t,” she said


She walked over to husband. “I love you,” she said and left the E.R. She went back to the waiting room and told her neighbor what had happened. 


Her neighbor took her home. Shelly thanked her and went inside the house. 


As exhausted as she was she didn’t want to lay on the bed where he died. 


She sat down and turned on T.V. She watched until she was too tired to stay awake. She forced herself to go to bed. When she woke up, for just a moment she thought her husband was in the living room watching T.V. Then she remembered she had left the television on. 


She got out of bed feeling weak and weepy. She made her way into the living room. So upset she couldn’t walk without leaning against the wall. All she wanted to do was die. The only thing that stopped her was her pets, especially the dogs. 


The only reason she left the house was to get groceries. “I have to eat I guess,” she said to herself, “I’m not really hungry.”


Days went by when she got in touch with her friend to tell her about what had happened. 


Christy came over to the house and talked to Shelly. “Come on you have to get out of house. Come with me this weekend to the letterboxing event.”


“Ok, but I doubt I’ll want to do anything.”


“That’s ok, you can just sit and watch,” Christy suggested. 


Shelly sat at a table and just stared off into space. It was a nice gesture on Christy’s part, but it was too soon for Shelly. 


A few months later Christy tried again and insisted that Shelly go with her to the renaissance fair. This time Shelly had a wonderful time. 


Shelly had discovered it was okay for life to go on. She learned when in times of need she could depend on her friend Christy. Her personal life saver. 













May 05, 2020 21:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.