Into The Forest

Submitted into Contest #143 in response to: Set your story in the woods or on a campground. ... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

“Lizzy!” Momma shouted at me. I was running out into the field. All four legs at max speed. The wind was pushing against my face and the wheat was barely getting caught in my fur. I was running to the forest, which Momma always said wasn’t safe. 

The forests are separated into two, the wildlife, and the big tall animals. I can’t remember what these animals are called, but they only have two legs and wear stuff over their fur. Humans? Something like that. 

I was a curious pup. My siblings and I don’t like being in the same old places. We want to explore, but Momma hates it. Mrs. Grizzly says it drives her nuts! I get to the opening of the forest, but I hesitate. I look back, but Momma isn’t in sight. I take slow steps into the forest, scared that a possum might jump out on me, or worse, maybe a human! 

A loud, drilling noise rings in my ears. What was that horrible sound? I trotted over to the sound, and hid behind the trees. There it was, a human! The human was sitting in this big drive-y thingy. “A little deeper!” One of the humans shouted. The man nodded and kept drilling. “Ah, there it is!” He shouted, as the tree came crashing down, pulling a couple other trees down with it. They all cheered, then hit their paws together. Is that a paw five? Cool! But not cool at the same time. I ran as fast as my little paws could go, back to Momma. 

I had forgotten how mad she was but I put that aside. This was more important. “Momma! Momma!” I howled, out of breath. “My little cub decided to come back? What’s wrong pup?” She asks confused, sitting on the log covered in leaves. I layed on my back, twisting and swerving into the leaves. “The humans t-they were drilling the t-trees!” I managed to say, out of breath. “Did they fall?” She asked worriedly. “Of course they did, Momma!” I bark, jumping onto all fours. She turned her head to Mrs. Grizzly. When did she get here? “You knew this time would come Sarah.” Mrs. Grizzly said sternly. Momma huffed. She got up and her tail stood in between her legs. Momma wasn’t happy. “Well, I guess we shall have a stern family talk, why don’t you call her brothers and sisters? Dinner is almost prepared and your father will be here soon.” 

“Poppy, Jackson, Violet, Cooper, and Oliver! Dinners ready and Mommas just about to give us a stern talking to!” I said catching up to them at the creek. “Coming!” Barked Violet. “Seriously?” Asked Cooper. “Just five more paws?” Jackson and Oliver asked, throwing rocks into the creek. “Guys-” I started. But I didn't finish my sentence as they were all already running. “Wait up!” I howled as I started chasing after them. 

“How was Tod Class?” Momma asked Papa. (That's a boy group in fox language!) “Why it was just alright Sarah! How were the pups?” Momma stared me down. “Why they were just pleasant.” I smiled at Momma, but she gave me that look saying I’d have to pay her back. Papa turned to all six of us. “How was your day pups?” He asked, taking a bite of the leaf and stem salad. “Great!” “We threw rocks in the creek!” “I saw a blue jay!” “Me and Poppy played tag in the grass!” We all barked at the same time. “Woah woah woah. Slow down pups!” He smiled. “Well, from what I’m hearing you had a excellent day! Now enough howling, why don’t we dig into this lovely salad?” He asked, his eyes falling to Momma. She blushed. 

Everyone was asleep except me. I wasn’t tired, and my eyes wouldn’t shut. I was too worried about the trees, and the humans. Momma said that they might come for us, and what if they did? The wind whistled, and the moon shimmered in between the trees. I layed on my bed, but it wasn’t right. I turned around to my siblings. They were all asleep. I walked over to the end of the forest, hearing the owls snore. I looked at the field, it was empty. Not even a sound of crickets. The drilling had stopped, but the big drive-y thingy was still there. I trotted over, across the field, and punched right at it. Nothing happened? It was bright yellow, and stared at me, but had no eyes. I could just sense it. 

“Marks eh?” 

“Yeah man! I think some animal got at it!” 

“Those creatures. Think they own everything.” 

“Probably a bear.” 

“No, a coyote!” 

My ears perked up. They wouldn’t suspect me, would they? Clack. I jump around to see Papa trotting over. “Where were you!” He shouted. “You had me and your mother worried! You shouldn’t be out here it isn-” he couldn’t finish his sentence. “Get them!” A man shouted. “Run!” Papa shouted, getting hold of the fur around my neck. He panted, running as fast as he could, getting out of the man's sight. The man had a gun in his hand, and we all knew that wasn’t good. “Papa! What’s going on?” I shouted over the sound of his paws against the ground. I knew what was going on, but why? We were running, and he pulled the trigger. 

Boom.

Papa stopped, his body dropping to the ground. “Little fox too slow for me eh? See Jerald, I don’t miss a single shot.”’ He said brushing off his shoulder and walking away. “Papa!” I shouted, and then I saw it. The blood dripping from this leg consistently. “No! No, this can’t be. I-I didn’t mean to..” How could I do this? It was all my fault! I shouldn’t have left! 

“Momma!” I howled running back to the forest, my legs pumping with pain. She looked at me worriedly. “It’s Papa! He’s been shot!” 

I leapt straight out of my bed. Was it all just a dream? Maybe I was seeing into the future. I wasn’t sure what just happened. But I knew that I had to protect my family from the humans.

April 29, 2022 23:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.