Where Hearts Should Stay

Written in response to: Write a story about a character who’s secretly nobility.... view prompt

6 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult Fantasy

Ava and Jordan Martinez packed up and moved into a house in Penrose Falls, that had belonged to Jordan’s family for generations. The place needed fixing up, but it was nothing that would break the bank. Ava loved the vintage style charm immediately.

She kept most of the décor and furnishings the same, only replacing the stuff that was beyond repair. Jordan took on the cosmetic renovations himself. They were pleased with the end results. Often, Ava couldn’t help but recall when she first saw Jordan and the impact, he would have on her life…

She was sixteen. Of average height and in decent shape, Ava had ash brown hair that fell down almost to her waist, blue eyes and fair skin. She was confident, friendly and not easily fooled. Jordan was the new kid. Tall for his age, with dark hair and brown eyes, suntanned skin and slightly muscled all over.

He was quiet and kind of withdrawn, like he wasn’t sure what to do or say. Yet he knew instantly that Ava was the girl he wanted to be with. When the chance came three months later, he asked her out and she said yes. Almost two years went by. They were as close and happy as any young couple in love could be.

However, a few weeks after Jordan’s most recent birthday, his behaviour changed. He was clingy and seemed very reluctant to let Ava out of his sight. He had also gotten paler and thinner, as if he were sick.

He’d always been naturally strong, but sometimes she could swear his movements were just a bit faster than your average human. His teeth appeared sharper. His eyes changed colour. She’d heard him growl a few times as well.

It was a little confusing, and maybe a bit scary. Yet Ava sensed no immediate danger from him. She had her own ideas about what was going on but figured he would tell her the truth when he was ready.

                                               ***********

On a Saturday afternoon in August, Ava was reading and about to turn the page of her book for the next chapter, when her phone buzzed in her pocket. It was Jordan. “Hi.” “Hey. Listen, would you mind if we skipped movie night and did something else instead?” “Like what?” “Stargaze. The lake around seven thirty? It’s going to be a full moon and no clouds in the sky.” “I’ll be there.”

Her boyfriend definitely had something on his mind. His nervous tone of voice gave it away. West Moore Lake was a favourite spot for them to have private conversations and yes, to also look at the stars. At about seven o'clock, Ava was almost out the door when she realised, she had forgotten to put her telescope in the car. She went back to her room to retrieve it.

The drive took ten minutes. No matter the destination, she always made sure to arrive early. Jordan was usually the late one, but tonight he was already on the other side of the lake. She waved to him. In a matter of seconds, he stood directly in front of her. It made her jump and her heartrate sped up, but she knew Jordan wasn’t deliberately trying to frighten her.

She kissed him to say hello. “I think it’s time we had a chat.” They lay down together under a shady tree. For a long moment, they just stared at each other. Then she broke the silence. “Go ahead, I am listening.” He smiled. “You’re not afraid of me at all, are you?” She shook her head. “No. I have always felt very safe with you.”

He let out a sigh of relief. “That’s good to know. Now, where should I begin? Well, I guess to start off with, my father and his family are vampires. I haven’t heard any stories of where they originally came from, but I do know that the Martinez bloodline goes back centuries.

My father Jonah inherited the title of Duke from his own father when he was killed. My mother Carine, is human. We actually found out not too long ago, that somewhere in her own family background she is descended from a runaway princess.

For many years, we have been a healthy mix of royals, noblemen, middle and working-class people, even those who were poor and had nothing. You do get the snobbish types, as one does within most societies. But we simply ignore them. Human/Vampire relationships are not forbidden or looked down upon, they just didn’t happen all that often.

My vampiric nature manifested when I turned eighteen; enhanced senses, strength, speed and reflexes, blood cravings, you name it. I also seem to be even more protective of those I care about. I am sorry if that freaked you out. Up until my birthday, I really was no different from any other guy.”

Ava then told him of her own observations. “Rest assured, I am not going anywhere.” He pulled her closer. She asked about his parents, worrying he might be in trouble for telling. “Didn’t you have to ask for their permission?” “Sure, but they like you and know that you can be trusted. So, it’s fine.”

                                                         **********

Ava had never thought of herself as the marrying kind and yet five years down the track, she had a sparkly ring on her finger. Small towns didn’t used to hold much appeal for her either. These days, she couldn’t imagine living anywhere else.

Three years into their marriage, her parents were told the truth about Jordan. They took it better than she expected. Although he was only half-vampire, Jordan wouldn’t age in the same way as a normal human. Ava was bound to him, so this would also be shared with her and any children they might have…

Now, at their housewarming party, Ava had a surprise to share with the people who mattered the most to her. She took Jordan into the kitchen to tell him privately. His whole face lit up at the exciting news. When the couple joined everyone in the lounge room, with a tray of glasses and an open bottle, the guests at once picked up that something was going on. A couple of the women seemed to know exactly what Ava intended to say. “Guys, we’re going to have a baby!”

THE END

August 08, 2021 04:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
04:44 Aug 10, 2021

Hi Kylie, I have to tell you that I love stories like this. You did such an amazing job writing this. The flow was perfectly paced, and the dialogue was fantastic! This was very creative and I thought you did a great job!! :)

Reply

Kylie Wallis
08:31 Aug 10, 2021

Thanks. I enjoy hearing that my writing is good, but I am always on the lookout for ways to improve.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:59 Aug 10, 2021

Hi Kylie, I know what you mean. I think as writers we are always trying to improve our craft :)

Reply

Kylie Wallis
23:41 Aug 10, 2021

yep.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
14:59 Aug 08, 2021

Oh my gosh, Kylie, I love this story!!! I liked the way you beautifully described and built up the protagonists. And about Jordan's family line of being a vampire, that totally caught me. Amazing twist. Great Work! P.S- I've also written a story on the same prompt (hehe), although I've not entered the contest.

Reply

Kylie Wallis
01:10 Aug 09, 2021

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.