6 comments

General

I woke up to the feeling of sun rays peeking through my window and I felt its warmth spreading through my soft bed sheets. My amber eyes open reluctantly, contemplating whether they should greet the day just yet. I allowed myself to stay in bed a little longer, soaking in the warm summer sun rays. My eyes followed its trail to where it was lying on the floor, like sweet, glistening honey. After what seemed like forever, I groggily forced myself out of bed and stood to gaze by the window, inhaling in a long shaky breath. The weather was unexpectedly good for this bittersweet day. My phone lit up with a message from Stéphane, making sure that I'll meet him as planned, I assured him I was already getting dressed. An hour later, I was walking out the door and the light afternoon breeze tickled my skin as I excitedly made my way into the woods, but my small hesitant steps showed otherwise. I felt like a small child going on a school trip, yet feeling like they'd somehow end up in detention. I dived deeper into the woods, disappearing beneath a velvet curtain of dark green oak trees, my red polka dotted-dress was flowing and by auburn hair floated in the air making me feel like a walking flame. A few leaves kissed my forehead as I lifted my face, letting the light and shadow dance across my skin, and watched as cotton clouds drifted lazily in the sky. The low buzzing of bees and chirping of birds were the only sounds in the forest as I padded into the distance. The tranquil blue of the lake came into view and that was my cue to take a right turn, I walked until I saw a mass of wood emerging through a mess of tangled branches; our beautiful Treehouse, not your usual wooden rough box. It was chaotic, organic, and intriguing. I ascended the two flights of creaking stairs till I reached the already open door.

"You're late"

"What a genuine gentleman! We don't see each other for almost a week, and that's what first comes into your mind when you see me? Really charming, Steph!"

He stifled a laugh and then slowly nodded his chin towards the basket in my hand with slightly raised eyebrows.

"I brought your favorites." I managed to say in my most cheerful voice.

He waved me over to sit beside him on the floor on our favorite, old, crumbling carpet. Its Aztec print has definitely seen better days, and its vibrant colors are now pale.

"You've redecorated again." I said as I examined the newly added fairy lights on one side of the wall.

"Thought I could make something memorable for you before I leave, I saw some photos of them on the internet, I thought you'd like it." He said with a casual shrug of his shoulder.

"I love it! But do you really have to leave tomorrow?"

"My dearest Amelia." His green eye met my amber ones before he tucked a stubborn strand behind my ear, "Can we please talk about that later? Do you know what I really need right now?"

I assumed he'd say something romantic, but his words took me by surprise.

"Food, Amelia! I'm starving. You said you got my favorites, eh?"

He went back to his reclining position, body turning to the side so he can face me whilst shifting his full body weight on one strong elbow with his head resting on his palm. I had to resist the urge to hit him because he knew he was driving me mad. I opened the basket and the smell of freshly baked brownies instantly filled the air, already making our tummies growl in anticipation and we immediately dug in. Two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, lemonades, and a grape fight later; we were both lying on a hammock on the balcony, one of Stéphane's newest additions, my head resting on his chest. One of his hands was lazily twirling a strand of my hair between his fingers and the other tucked behind his head. We were both staring at the lake and Frank Sinatra's voice blaring through the speakers filled in the silence, neither of us was paying attention to the lyrics like we used to, but both of us were aware of the time slipping through our fingers like soft sand, and that moments like this would soon turn into memories.

"I don't want you to leave, Steph. I’ll miss you so much.”

I was the first to break the silence between us and slowly tilted my head to take one lingering look at him, carving every inch of his beautiful French face into my memory, to find that his eyes already fixated on me.

“Believe me when I say, Amelia, that I’ll miss you too much, too often, and a whole lot more with every passing day. I promise I’ll be back before you know it, love." He paused with a shaky, sad breath. “I almost forgot; I got you something.”

He went back inside and rummaged through his backpack for a few moments before he returned, carrying a medium-sized box wrapped in brown-recycled wrapping paper, with a few white paisley prints scattered around, the whole thing was secured with a single rope tied into a bow on top. I was already giddy with excitement, but I managed to remove the wrapping paper in an entire piece and it rewarded me with the prettiest Polaroid camera.

“Here is something to remember me by while I’m gone, so that a piece of me gets to be with you with every picture you take.”

The first picture we took was of us, and since he was taller, he volunteered to take it. He turned the camera around so we were facing the lens; I was tiptoeing behind him, face resting on his shoulder, arms wrapped around his torso. My hair was blowing in the light, gentle breeze. Our smiles were bright, but hiding our sadness, and our treehouse was behind us where the fairy lights created an amazing bokeh in the background.

A single tear slid down my cheek as I recalled the events of that day, I turned the picture around so I can read the date, 17th of July 2016. Four years have passed since the day Stephane left and here I was, sitting alone on the hammock, in our treehouse, which felt so distant and empty without him. The wall now hangs two dozen photos, and the fairy lights were casting a mysterious shadow on them.

“This wall needs more pictures, don’t you think?”

I turned around, startled, and there he was, leaning oh-so-casually on the door frame.

“Stéphane?” And his arms welcome me home.

July 16, 2020 23:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Brittany Gillen
17:26 Jul 20, 2020

Roula - Thank you for sharing your story. You paint some beautiful pictures in this story. I love the image of them lying in the hammock while Stephane twirls some of Amelia's hair around his fingers, and the beginning where she wakes up in the sun was fantastic. I could totally relate to that moment entirely. The only feedback I have would be to watch using the characters to describe themselves. One of the best pieces of advice I heard at a seminar was that people don't generally think of themselves and comment on the specific color of...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Salma 9700
12:11 Jul 17, 2020

Beautiful 😍 the writing is Beautifully descriptive and detailed that It feels like sitting with the characters! ♥️♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nehal Gamal
00:53 Jul 17, 2020

The description is unbelievable 😍♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Habiba Ahmad
00:45 Jul 17, 2020

It’s awesommmeee really😍😍 keep going

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rokeh Mohamed
00:16 Jul 17, 2020

Your style of writing really touched me I loved it so much❤️❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yara Soliman
23:59 Jul 16, 2020

this is amazinggg !

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.