0 comments

Sad Teens & Young Adult Fiction

It was nothing short of surprising, especially when you were watching the events of those around you unfold. A scream from somewhere distant, muffled by the density of water that surrounded her. No, it wasn't her that the water surrounded, but the person who would eventually be experiencing the events first hand. There were twinkling lights floating around, candles that sat upon little paper boats made to make their way down the river. Then there was the splashing, feet coming into her view as people jumped in to grab whoever was in the water.

Nothing, not a name or face was given.

Adamine gasped, choking on the air that she had just sucked into her lungs, overfilling them with oxygen. Her eyes darted around where she stood, taking in the sights of the mall that she had been visiting with her mother. People walked around, some looking at her as if she were crazy, others just going on with their day to day routine. Her mother gave a sideways glance in her direction, a curious look upon her face. Though she looked annoyed at the same time, having been pulled from whatever it was she had been looking at.

"My goodness Ada, are you alright?"

All Adamine could do was nod, gasping for air as if she hadn't been able to breath for a moment.

"Fine mama, but I think something bad is going to happen at the river tonight."

"Something bad? Like what?"

Adamine stood, taking one deep breath and slowly letting it out to more or less reset her lungs breathing capability. Once she had managed to breath again, she looked towards her mother who had turned away once more. She wasn’t surprised that her mother had done so, she was more interested within her new found wealth than her own child having trouble breathing beside her.

“I saw someone drowning at the festival tonight, Uncle and Papa were jumping in with a lot of other people to get them out.” 

The worried look within Adamine’s gaze was not very hard to miss, however, her mother turned an incredulous look onto her upon listening to what she had said. 

“Drowning? Nonsense, you’re speaking silly little stories again.” 

The high pitched laughter that came from her mother hurt her ears, but she refrained from covering her ears. She didn’t want to be disrespectful towards the woman, even if she was being really disrespectful towards herself. 

“But, it's true. I saw it happening as if I were right there.” 

“Adamine Namaria Newland, you stop this nonsense right now. You could never have seen something like that happen as the festival has yet to begin.” 

Adamine went really silent, her gaze slowly shifting towards the store clerk that stood behind the counter. Their eyes met in silence, the store clerk not saying a single word. Instead, he averted his gaze and turned it back onto her mother not seeming to want to take part within the conversation that was currently partaking between the two women. 

“But, I saw it. . .” 

The softly muttered words slipped from her lips, her attention moving from the store clerk and back towards her mother. Neither of them seemed to believe what she was saying, though, she couldn’t blame them for not doing so. Seeing something before it was meant to happen could be a bit much to take in for anyone it’s never happened to before. She wondered if her mother was just in denial of what she saw or flat out thought she was insane. 

She would be lucky if that was the case. 

A few minutes more and her mother had finally decided on what she wanted to buy. Adamine watched as her mother pulled out her credit card faster than she could anything else and handed it over to the clerk, the man promptly typing in the information. It was only when it became accepted did he hand it back along with the receipt she was certain her father would be screaming about later on. 

“Ada honey, could you please grab the bags for mommy? We need to get home and get ready for the festival.” 

“Yes mama.” 

Reluctantly, Adamine moved from one side of her mother to the other, reaching out and carefully grabbing the bags she was to carry. They weren’t heavy, but they were annoying to have to carry out of the mall and to the car, which her mother just so happened to park halfway across the overly sized parking lot. 

“Let’s not dilly dally, we have to return and finish getting ready. I’m sure your father is already stressing over the festival preparations.” 

“Yes mama.” 

Adamine followed out to the car with her mother walking two paces ahead of her. Once the car door was unlocked, she opened the back door and slid the bag onto the back seat and once more closed the door. She made her way to the front passenger side, slipping into the seat and closing the door. While her mother started up the engine, she buckled herself in, preparing for a long silent ride back home. A ride she was not looking forward to as it would not keep her mind off of the premonition she had just seen. 

**** **** **** ****

The two women had reached the house nearly an hour later, her father had been busy working in town and her mother had quickly put her to work carrying in the bags before being ushered to get dressed for that evening. 

As evening rolled around, Adamine walked the streets with her parents. Her father had his arm around her mother’s shoulders while she herself walked behind the pair. Her gaze drifted back and forth, hands folded in front of her, trying to find the person that would fall in the river. The river that now sat just to her left, a small embankment right beside it where children ran and played. The very sight made her nervous. 

Was it one of the children that fell in? She hoped not. 

Breaking away from her parents, not that they would notice, Adamine walked towards the hill that overlooked the river down below. She watched as the children ran around, playing and laughing, enjoying the festival activities they were able to participate in. Sparklers danced in the night air, bringing a beautiful soft glow to those who held them. Games dotted the sidewalk while laughter filled the air around giving such a calm and fun atmosphere. One that Adamine reveled in quite a bit. 

“Now, is that my little Ada?” 

The sound of someone’s voice caught her attention, her eyes widening and a smile stretched across her lips. She spun around quickly, her eyes landing on an older male with a bright smile upon his lips and within his eyes. 

“Uncle!” 

She cried out, the man rushing forward and lifting Ada up off the ground. Her arms wrapped around him tightly, hugging onto him as he spun her around. 

“I wish you would have told me when you were going to arrive.” 

“And ruin your surprise? I think not.” 

The laugh that came from her uncle made her smile, the way his eyes sparkled lit up her world. He reminded her of a younger, thinner Santa Clause. 

“Surprise? What surprise?” 

The question escaped her as she was set down on her feet, her eyes never leaving the older male’s as he chuckled. She imagined him with a big belly and it shaking like a bowl full of jello. 

“Hm, I don’t know…” 

He pat himself down, searching his pockets for the surprise that he had gotten her. A pensive look sliding onto his face leaving Adamine curious as to what he was looking for. 

“Uncle?” 

“Ah, here it is.” 

He pulled something from his pocket, but it was obscured within his hand. He held his fist out as if waiting for someone to fist bump him, but within a second, he opened his hand and down dangled a beautiful necklace. 

Hanging from a colorfully beaded band was a small dream catcher with pale wings carved out of very light opal gems. The tiny feathers that hung off of the dream catcher added to the beauty it already had, the sight of the piece of jewelry causing a surprised gasp to escape her lips. 

“Oh my, Uncle, it’s beautiful.” 

“So you like it? I figured we could get rid of your evil dreams and have them fly upon the opal wings into oblivion.” 

A giggle escaped from Adamine and she nodded. 

“I love it. It’s absolutely stunning.” 

Her uncle moved toward her, gently wrapping his arms around her and aiding in putting the necklace around her neck. He clasped it and smiled, pulling away when the necklace was secured. 

“Uncle, I actually wanted to tell you something.” 

The smile that once sat on her Uncle’s lips had disappeared into a frown she wished wasn’t there. 

“Is everything alright?” 

“Yes, maybe. . . I don’t know.” 

“What is it my dear Ada? Talk to me, what are you so serious about?” 

Adamine hesitated for a moment, sighing when she finally worked up enough nerve to speak to her uncle about what she had seen. 

“Uncle, I saw someone drowning in the river. Not now, but in my mind’s eye. You were there and Papa too, you were both jumping in the water and. . .” 

Before she could finish her sentence, someone had bumped into her Uncle and in turn, bumped into her. Her feet backed up and toppled her over the hill backwards, sending her straight down to the bottom where the river was. 

Her eyes had widened for the briefest of moments until her back hit the ground and knocked the wind out of her. She bounced once and rolled before plummeting straight into the river below. The splash had caught many people’s attention, but none so more than her Uncle’s. 

Her body felt weightless as she lay at the bottom of the river, stuck against a rock. The sound of a loud splash nearby caught her half conscious self’s attention, the feet of her uncle and father seen as they came crashing in to save her. The screaming she could hear must have been the children’s and that of her mother’s. She couldn’t be certain though, especially since it was muffled by the sound of the water. 

As her eyes shut and darkness finally claimed her, one single coherent thought crossed her mind. 

“Guess it was I who fell. . .” 

June 12, 2021 01:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.