0 comments

Drama Romance Teens & Young Adult

I’m Emily. If “what was your best time in your life?” question would be presented to me, my simple answer is high school days. It is a time when adults refer disaster will occur to lives of children. Well, it is true, but it is not just a disaster. It’s a beautiful disaster which will fill people the sweetest memories of their lives.

First, I had nothing I kept losing all the precious things. I didn’t have dreams about my future. My future was so dark in my eyes. I only had the desire to protect things which are important to me.

I lost my parents when I was 7 and was kept in an orphanage by my aunt. I wanted to die so bad, but when time passed, I had my own family built there. The owner of the place, Matilda was so nice to me. She took care of me like a real mother. I didn’t get a chance to go to school after elementary school, but since I knew that a day would come when Matilda would have to leave me, just like the others, I gained education the way I could. My hobby was singing, but I didn’t know whether I had the talent of singing. I used the public library to study. I turned 15 years old. I decided that it’s time for me to take responsible for my own life. I started doing part time jobs and making money.

Every morning, I came near the fence to watch the school uniforms of the girls passing by our orphanage. I deeply desired to attend school. We had five sweet children in my orphanage. One day, they will only have me to rely on. So, I worked hard to make money and kept developing my knowledge by using the library. I turned 18 years old. Finally, I have enough money for school.

It was the first day of my new school; I woke early in the morning. My cuties were supposed to lie beside me, sleeping, but they were nowhere to be seen. I gazed at my school uniform for a time. It was a lovely one, but I kept saying to myself to be calm, so that I will not gain my hopes up. I was happy, but nervous at the same time. I went out of our room to the dining table where we eat breakfast. There were handmade decorations hanging in the room. Oh how sweet of them. ‘Good luck!’ was said in one decoration. I hugged them tight and said that it’s obvious of good luck coming my way because of the love they give me. I can remember Emma, the youngest one in the orphanage telling me to cal her out if somebody dares to hurt me. Then, I thought that it would be enough to make my day awesome. I would never forget the cute look she had saying it me.

So, I went to school. Cheerful girls were all over the place. It was the Seoul girl’s school. I went to the class. Nobody was there. Suddenly, three children came into the class. Two girls were dragging one girl into the room. They pushed her to chair. They saw me and waved at me with a smile. I smiled back. Then, they suddenly demanded the girl to give them money. The girl shaking in the seat replied that she doesn’t have money. Then they said that, they would have some fun with her if they find any money in her bag, which they did. They took her bottle of water and pretended to spill it while drinking. All her books got wet. I felt like interfering and helping her, but I felt scared as it was my first day. They kept troubling her. Students in the class were increasing one by one. They didn’t seem to care about this, at all. I was surprised. Were they human at all? I gathered courage to help her. I went towards them. Then, suddenly, a middle aged woman entered. She had a bright smile and looked very friendly. She called out my name and asked me to introduce myself to the students. I introduced myself and everybody seems to like me. Then, the teacher wanted to appoint a new monitor to the class and she appointed me. I was glad, because it was my first day. I didn’t feel nervous, because I knew I had to do my best for the sake of everyone. Teacher was teaching in the class and I reserved a text from my class WhatsApp group telling bad stuff about how a girl of our class looks and teasing her with her family background. I can see the girl who was bullied earlier crying. It must be about her. I sent a message telling to stop it. I messaged them that it was not a joke. Then, they started teasing me telling that I look pitiful living alone without my parents, having no money. They were really the worst. So, I raised my hand calling out the teacher and told her about the incident. She punished her with library duties. Class was over. The two girls, who were bullying her, went out of the class and they were glaring at me with a bad expression while they pass.

I went to the place of the girl who was bullied. I asked her whether she was ok. She was hesitating while she talked but was so thankful towards me. She said that it was the first time somebody daring to stand against her and I might need to guard myself for trouble. Apparently, this annoying kid, Kathleen was the daughter of a successful politician. Her father had built half of the buildings of the school. I was hesitating thinking about that, but was proud of myself.

I decided to have a walk around the school. Suddenly, something was being thrown at me. Rotten eggs were being thrown at me. I’m covered with rotten eggs. There were three girls surrounding me. It was Kathleen and her friends. She came near me, and said that it was too bad, having to introduce herself like this. She threatened me that she would make my life a mess if I dare to interfere in her matters.

I couldn’t stand this and I stood up for myself. I told her that she looked pitiful, mentally unstable and to gain control over herself. She suddenly grabbed me and dragged me into the back of the garden. Two girls are holding me tight. Then, the bully came with a piece of wood and started hitting me. That was so painful. I struggled but couldn’t break free. She suddenly told them to let go and tried to hit m again. I grabbed the wooden piece with all my might. She kept pulling me and I kept defending her. She suddenly threw herself at the wall and fainted. I started shivering. I was sure that I didn’t push her that hard. She was just trying to frame me.

We were called out to the principle office. It was such a bad luck. Kathleen was with a bandage on his head. The principle asked me about the incident. I told her the truth. Then, I demanded to see inside the bandage of Kathleen. Obviously, she doesn’t have a wound there.

It seemed to be like the principle was just trying to frame me, knowing the truth. She told that I should be expelled, but she would transfer me instead. If Kathleen was proved to be wrong, the principle would have to punish her. So, she just got rid of me instead of her, because that was her easiest way. I had no other choice but to transfer. I had no one to protect me like she did.

I was going home. It was late. I was really upset. I felt being wronged. I was walking beside the road and suddenly saw a flash of light in front of me. I thought that can this possibly be the end. That was all I could remember. I was at a hospital. A middle aged looking woman was sitting beside my bed. I can see three children sitting in front of my bed. There were two girls and a boy. My head was paining really badly. The lady beside me held my hand and asked how I’m feeling. She hugged me tight and said she’s so glad that she found me. I kept pinching myself. It was such a warm hug. Then, the children came near me laughing. The boy tapped my head and asked if his idiot was doing ok. I was feeling shy. I was wondering who this handsome boy was.

I asked them about their identities and they were very surprised to hear it from me. The lady said she was my mom and the others were my friends, but I didn’t remember them. In fact, I didn’t remember a single person in my life. The lady who said that she was my mom was Drusilla. At that time, I believed that she was my mother, but her daughter, who was looking, just the same as me, had gone missing during her school trip and they couldn’t find her for two days. It was when I was brought to the hospital injured by the accident. Everyone will get to know the bitter truth some day, but I felt like spring has finally arrived to my life after a lot of raining. I had to stay in the hospital for three weeks and during this period I got to make a strange friend.

My room was in the second floor of the building and I had my bed next to the window where I could look the outside. I was reading a book, when I saw something in front of my window. It was a boy. He was hanging with a rope in front of my window. He waved at me. I was too surprised to wave him back. Suddenly, he shouted and was going to slip and went down quickly. I opened the window immediately and looked down. He safely landed.

Later, it was my time to go home. Mom picked me from a beautiful red car and we turned into a street which looked so peaceful and beautiful. We stopped in front of a beautiful house. It was not a huge luxurious type of a house but it was a big lovely house. The handsome looking boy who tapped my head, Ethan was in front of my house. Apparently, he was the best friend of mom’s real daughter, Erica. They were always together starting from Elementary school. I had no memory of my activities. So, I believed that Ethan was my friend and was getting to like him little by little. He had a very positive personality. Anyone who gets to know him would like him a lot. He was caring, hardworking.

It was the first day with my new mom. I felt so strange. I was getting so confused with her. I had been living with her for almost 18 years and I felt so attached to her as if she was a new person to my life.

It was the first day of school. I got into my uniform. We were supposed to live in dorms. I ate my breakfast quickly. I got into the car. My mom would drive me to school. I was worried that I would miss her. We arrived at school. We were in front of the gate. I hugged telling that I would miss her. Mom laughed and seemed to be very happy. She told that I wouldn’t even touch her hand in front of the gate and was worried being embarrassed before my friends. I went to the school. I was at the school main hall. We were supposed to have a meeting. I kept looking for my friends who came to see me in the hospital, Rachel and Cherry. Then, I found them at last. They hugged me and greeted me. I greeted them back. Suddenly, they were so surprised. They told that normally I wouldn’t greet them back when they greet me. I kept asking them, if I was that mean. Their continuous response was ‘yes’.

Suddenly, girls started blocking our way screaming and jumping, simply going crazy. Then, they started emptying the path towards me and my friends. Ethan was walking in the path. They started shouting that they love Ethan. I had no idea what this was about. I asked Cherry. Cherry told that Ethan is a celebrity in Korea. We kept chatting and that’s when I got to know that this is Seoul’s Arts school. I was happy thinking that I might be a good singer, but I was wrong. I was at the practicing room and I was told to sing a song. I started singing and my teacher started to cover the ears and shouted at me to stop singing the song immediately. They were so surprised. I had been a good singer. Our evaluations were coming and they were worried about me as I wanted to make my debut as a singer before graduation. So, I started practicing, but couldn’t help but feel upset about the classes I had that day. I screwed them up.

It was the third day of the school and we would get a new student to our class. She came into our school and it was Kathleen. I felt so strange seeing her. I wondered if I knew her. She looked at me and smiled. After class was over, I went up to her and asked her whether she knew me. She suddenly started pulling my hair, shouting at me telling that she would make my life miserable like before. Suddenly, I heard a voice saying that Kathleen has ruined his nap. Kathleen became scared wondering if he had heard their conversation. It was the boy who was hanging in front of the window, earlier. Kathleen went and my hand was bleeding. He touched my hand and took a plaster and covered my wound. I thanked him. He was amazed about me thanking him. I imagined how sassy and bad I have been. I asked his name and he replied that it’s Eric. We started having a conversation, while walking to the class. There was a bump in front of the path. I tripped and was going to fall when Eric held me. He was holding me. I got into my feet again and that was when I saw Ethan coming towards us. He seemed to be angry. He asked Eric about what he was doing. It was like he was jealous. When I thought about him, he did bring me chocolates and came to see me every day. That was when I realized the truth. I held both of their hands and went to the practicing room laughing telling that they care too much about me.

I came to the class and started practicing. I couldn’t do it right. Ethan and Eric were watching me. They said that all three of us will practice singing together. All of a sudden, I felt happy when singing and I felt my singing was beautiful. I was puzzled. It was the magic of love. Meanwhile, Kathleen kept searching for evidence to prove that I’m not Erica.

One day, she was going to the principal’s office room with a piece of paper in her hands. She had evidence to prove that I’m Emily. That was when Eric grabbed her hand and got her to talk to him. He took his phone and showed the recording he had about Kathleen threatening her. He had always kept an eye on Kathleen. He have had a major crush on Erica before so he became close to me, but after getting to know me he wouldn’t even care if I’m not Erica.

Eric was worried about Erica, because she was still missing. He was searching for her secretly. He found out how I lived my life before and wanted me to live happily. He might be tough looking in the outside but he is very sweet in heart.

We were practicing really hard for the evaluation. It was the evaluation day. Everybody was talking about me, because my singing was so horrible before. Surprisingly, I got 75 marks for the evaluation. Obviously, it was because of my buddies. It was the best time of my life. The life which was filled with darkness got filled with lightness during my high school time.

Later, Eric finds out that Erica died from a car accident and I got to meet an old lady in an orphanage when trying to help the kids with my mom. She kept telling me about my past which confused my mother. Then suddenly, I recalled everything. So, she started finding the truth. She found out that the daughter whom she loved so much had died; she adopted me and said that she would be my mom. I felt so happy to meet my small friends again. Emma ran towards me and hugged me. I promised that I would come and see them quite often and I will be their guardian hereafter

As for my future, I kept doing what I love. I debuted as a singer with Eric with the help of Ethan. The worst singer turned out to be the best singer by the power of love, but the love triangle which started from my new life is still going on. Now, I’m 26 years old and they are still my best friends forever. All three of us are famous singers, now. My nightmare of life turned out to be a magical paradise thanks to the high school days. No matter what, we shouldn’t lose hope and keep on working to make our dreams come true.

June 04, 2021 16:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.