7 comments

Fantasy Drama Fiction

Even after all this time Kiara thought Antoinette was was the most beautiful thing she had ever seem. Her coat gleamed silver-white in the sunlight, her mane flowed like silk, like movement made liquid and the mother of pearl gleam of her horn added a frisson of awe. Kiara’s breath caught a little in her throat as Antoinette tossed her head and whickered softly in greeting.

She gave her nose an affection stroke and marvelled at the soft warmth, you could feel the energy flowing through her, anticipating a race. The warm smell of horse and hay filled the stall as she stepped inside and picked up a curry comb. She rested one hand on Antoinette’s shoulder, “hey beautiful it’s going to be a big day,” she sang softly, bringing the comb and brushing in sweeping circles. She moved through the brushes methodically, burnishing the already gleaming coat before moving on to picking out her hooves.

She flicked a brush through Antoinette’s mane, combing out the elf knots til it was ready for braiding. Antoinette fidgeted a little in her stall, she knew braiding meant a competition day. Kiara’s fingers moved methodically twisting the wool into the braids. She loved this time, her mind occupied with the quick movement of her hands, the golden light of the early morning seeping into the stable. This was when she felt most at peace. The braiding took her the best part of an hour but when she was finished she felt the glow of a job well done, not a hair out of place. A touch of oil over the horn for a final touch and voila. Her own toilette took rather less time. She scraped her hair back into a bun and put on a soft woollen tunic.

She patted Antoinette affectionately on the nose and lead her gently over towards Danny’s station. Danny was built like a warhorse himself, 6’4” with a booming laugh. He shook his head when he saw Antoinette, “You two are going to get flattened out there. She’s pretty as a picture but that won’t bring home any prizes.”

Kiara felt a stab of annoyance but tried to keep her voice casual, “she’s the best on the circuit, no one’s touched her yet.”

Danny grimaced, “Damon will be the one to beat this year, have you see that thing he’s riding? Vicious it is, I’d swear it was part dragon.”

Kiara pulled her lips into a tight line, “Antoinette will do just fine.”

All the time they had been talking Danny had been hard at work. She might not care for his opinions but there was no doubt he was an excellent craftsman.

He held up something silver in his hand “final touch - you want to do it yourself?”

Kiara grinned and he tossed it over, she slotted the sharp silver spike over the top of Antoinette’s horn and tested the edge with her finger. A drop of blood ran down her hand, staining the edge of her tunic.

Antoinette was fully armoured with heavy steel plate, though most of it was hidden under her colourful silk caparison, but you could see the chanfron over the head to protect her muzzle and eyes. It cast a shadow under across her eyes that suddenly made her look dangerous.

Kiara smiled, satisfied. “Ok, me next Danny” she said stepping forward ready to be armoured.

The stables were a hive of activity now. Stable boys ran back and forth, Unicorns were being brushed, armoured, exercised. Men - and it was mostly men, in armour paced nervously. Kiara swallowed her nerves as Danny helped her into her armour. The smell of hot metal, made her feel slightly sick as her helmet slotted into place. No going back now.

It wasn’t til she and Antoinette began moving towards the arena that she saw Damon. Kiara drew in a sharp breath, Danny hadn’t been kidding. Damon’s steed Shadow was a giant, black as jet and powerfully muscled with a bony, raptor like skull showing through his shining coat. Antoinette skittered sideways, sensing her tension. 

A woman in a tall pink hat threw a flower under Antoinette’s hooves ‘good luck’ she called, kissing her fingers towards Kiara. From here the way was thronged with spectators in an array of gaudy outfits, impractical hats and shoes that curled like a unicorn’s horn.

Kiara ignored them; thinking about who was watching would only break her focus. A thin sheen of sweat coated her brow as she entered the arena. She knew she had to face Damon first. It was a hotly anticipated match and the stands were already filling fast.

It seemed like only a second, though it must have been at least a quarter of an hour, before the stewards were announcing the competitors. Damon was poised at the other end of the lists, somehow Shadow seemed to have grown even larger, the sun sparked off the horn on his forehead and Kiara felt a frisson of fear.

She lowered her visor waiting for the bell, trying to hold the lance steady in her suddenly trembling hand. Antoinette had her head down, poised for action, then the bell rang out and they were flying. Hooves pounding as the distance between her and Damon disappeared. She aimed for his helmet, hoping desperately to end the match but her aim was off. He caught her slightly in the shoulder but she kept her seat as they wheeled around for another charge.

Antoinette plunged forward eager for blood, her aim was better this time, she caught Damon in the chest and he fumbled and fell back, but his legs stayed gripping tightly to Shadow - who pushed forward head scything from side to side, horn ripping into a gap between the plates of Antoinette’s armour. Blood gushed onto her silver coat and Kiara gasped in dismay. She wanted to dismount and tend to Antoinette but Damon was already ready for their final run, his eyes red with the thrill of blood. 

Antoinette plunged forward for a final time but Kiara wasn’t ready, she tried to pull her lance up but the timing was all wrong, everything was in the wrong place. Damon caught her on the helm and she fell half stunned from Antoinette, with her last effort she tried to pull her around but it was too late. Wild with rage Antoinette sheared through the weak neck seam in Damon’s armour. Blood filled the air as Kiara’s vision went dark. 

July 28, 2023 22:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

23:26 Aug 04, 2023

I really enjoyed this. I love the Whole Battle-Unicorn vibe. Don't mess with the Unicorns!

Reply

Show 0 replies
J. D. Lair
05:00 Jul 30, 2023

I was not expecting the story to turn the way it did, so great job following the prompt! Learned a lot about unicorn care and wear for combat. Well done. :)

Reply

Cassie Gibson
09:29 Jul 30, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment I really appreciate it.

Reply

J. D. Lair
14:36 Jul 30, 2023

Any time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kaelyn Klaus
19:27 Jul 31, 2023

Wow... thats all i can say. It is amazing! As someone who loves dark endings this story is perfect. But i have questions.. Did Kira die? What happened after Antionette killed Damon?

Reply

Cassie Gibson
09:28 Aug 01, 2023

Thanks so much for your comment - glad you enjoyed it. I think I rushed the ending a bit but if I was going to continue it I would say Kiara probably survived but Antoinette died and she had to learn to live with the guilt of feeling like she pushed her too hard.

Reply

Kaelyn Klaus
22:19 Aug 04, 2023

I really like that. It is a very unique tale. Thanks for liking my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.