The Broken Window

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends with a character asking a question.... view prompt

2 comments

General

It started with one of the stormiest nights the Briggs family had ever since. Hammering rain and icy winds, thunder, and lighting rattling their measly cottage. Travis Briggs, the eldest of the Briggs children, was shaking. He was a bully and hot-headed, but thunder made him scared straight. Milly, the second eldest, was delighted! She loved storms and often dreams of becoming a meteorologist. She was looking out the window, smiling wildly. Then there was Junior, the youngest. He sat on the ground, not fazed at all the commotion of his family around him. He had an uneasy vibe, his family was all caution of him. He has been known around the town to attack random strangers and pets with pieces of glass. But no one really knew why this five-year-old was so aggressive and violent. A smile spread onto Junior's face, a creepy smile. The family screamed as the power went out, well Travis did. "Junior?" Mrs. Briggs called out to her child. Mr. Briggs went to fetch a lantern from the kitchen, lighting it, and set it onto the dining room table. Junior was nowhere to be found. Then they all heard the sound of broken glass the house was filled with an icy gust. Milly screamed in shock and Travis was frozen. They all heard laughter as the tried to close the window, Travis cutting his hands in the process. They all backed into a corner, terrified and cold. Suddenly, the wind died down and the rain came to a calming quiet. "We must be in the eye..."Whispered Mr. Briggs. The family ran outside to see the damage. Mrs. Briggs hand shot to her mouth, muffling her scream. There, under the broken window, laid Junior...dead. His fist was bloody and he was icy to the touch. But his lips were still spread into a smile, a bloodcurdling smile. The rain and the wind started again. Mr. Briggs carried Junior back into the house, everyone was saddened and uneasy. They laid him on his cot, covering him with a white sheet. They whispered their prayers and lit candles. The rain and wind continued, but you could still hear the faint laughter of a child.

Many years later, the Briggs family was never the same. Mr. and Mrs. Briggs were traumatized by storms and decide to build a cellar in their home. Travis and Milly moved far away from their childhood home when they both reached the age of eighteen. Travis was now happily married with three kids. Milly's decision to be a meteorologist was forever changed and she became a geologist instead. The rare times they would visit was for Thanksgiving. Travis stepped through the doorway with his wife and children, Milly following. Everyone went in, but the two siblings stayed back. Exchanging a look, they both got the same shivers. Milly took a deep breath and stepped in, Travis doing the same. After sharing kisses and hugs, some quick chitchat, it was time for dinner. It looked glorious! Just as everyone sat down, the power went out. A child's laughter rang through the house. Rain was suddenly pounding on the roof and wind shook the cottage. PTSD began to come back to the Briggs family. Travis was shaking, Milly was close to her brother, trying to comfort and calm him down. The child's laughter rang and rang. Suddenly, everything stopped as abruptly as it began. Travis began to calm down and so did everyone else. But the weird thing was...broken glass was everywhere. On the floor, in the food, on the beds, on the seats, everywhere. Travis was done, he and his family left very quickly. Milly decided to stay behind and help clean. Her parents were in quite a shock. No one went back to Thanksgiving after that.

Many strange occurrences started after that day. They left Travis insane and paranoid. Then there was the day he jumped off a bridge, leaving a widow and fatherless children. Mr. and Mrs. Briggs eventually died of old age. It was only Milly left. She inherited her parent's money and house. With it, she decided it was best to sell it. It was a stormy night. Milly sat at the dining room table, a feeling of uneasiness washing over her. She felt like she was being watched. Shuddering, she decided to make some hot chocolate to calm down. Just a few more weeks, then you can leave... She thought to herself. She turned back around and headed back to the table. As she sat down, stabbing pain met her. She jumped up a realized...it was broken glass. The rain got harder and so did the window. The child's laughter that haunted her dreams filled the room. The windows exploded all around her, cutting her. Her screams vanished escaped out the windows, the wind carrying them. It was calm then...Milly collapsed onto her knees, bleeding everywhere. Gasping, she heard the laughter right in her ear. Looking up, it was Junior. He was as pale fresh fallen snow, paler even. He still had that same creepy smile. His fist was forever bleeding, dripping on the floor. "J-junior?" Milly whispered. Her eyes closed, not being able to handle the pain. The last thing she saw was Junior and his creepy smile.

She awoke again, her mouth gagged and she was tied up. She was outside, under the broken window. The same spot where Junior was found dead. Tears escaped her tired eyes as she struggled with the knots that kept her planted where she was. Sitting across from Milly, there sat Junior. She didn't notice him until he began to stroke her face. He wiped away her tears and sat beside her, his head resting on his shoulder. She cried and cried, sitting in the same spot for days. She was extremely dehydrated and hungry. Death was upon her...Junior sat with her until her chest had stopped moving and she was as cold as him. His smile was genuine this time. He untied her and held her hand. Pulling, her ghost emerged out of her body. Her face was sad as she looked back at her body, but became calm. It began to rain. They stepped in, the two disappearing into the air. People often wonder about the Briggs family and their family curse. No one really understood. What had happened to Junior that night? 

May 20, 2020 05:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

B. W.
23:28 Aug 22, 2020

I decided to come and look at your first one and its really good like your other ones you've made. 10/10. i was also wondering if you could check out "Legend of Evie -part 1-" i'd love to see what you think :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Imane Sah.
10:13 Jul 26, 2020

Nice story. I really like it!! 🎉😍

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.