1 comment

Fiction

The lights were flashing different colors as the music intensified. He stood and watched the house from across the street. 

At least one night a week, this house was jumping with people. He often saw it as he walked by. The front door was always open and he could see inside. There were always a stream of people flowing in and out like a river that can't make up its mind. And every night he would look over at the house as he passed by.

Tonight, the music was loud and the lights shined and dimmed sporadically. People wobbled about occasionally holding a plastic cup in their hand, snacking on food on nearby tables. 

He never paused like he did tonight. But something about tonight just made him stop. He was transfixed with the house and the people. He wanted to be a part of the fun. 

But he was an odd looking guy. Short with dark hair and a bit of a wiry face. Even with the amount of time he spent sleeping through the day, he had bags under his eyes. Working nights went against what most people do so he was never around others much. 

He didn't know if he could just walk in and be amongst everyone else. He was nervous that everyone would look at him in disgust and turn him away. 

But tonight was a great night. The summer heat was there even though the sun had set. The crickets were chirping in the tall grass and there was a small breeze that made him feel alive. 

Quickly he decided to cross the street before he found something else to distract him. As he made it to the other side he stopped and looked at the doorway. 

With a tentative first few steps he made his way to the entrance. Soon he began to walk with a more confident pace as no one seemed to pay him any attention. As he crossed into the house he could smell the the stale smell of what appeared to be beer.

He quickly realized being short had its advantages. Everyone looked up in the air with their arms outstretched to the ceiling as they danced and sang. Very few lingered on the outskirts talking amongst themselves. Those people seemed to only pay mind to themselves. No one gave him a second glance. No one gave him thr signature weird look that said "Why are you here?"

He soon found himself in the kitchen and he perked up at that. Finally something besides beer! 

He made his way to the table climbing onto the nearest available stool as he took in the feast before him.

Someone had set out a nice cheese platter with fancy meats on the table. Next to it sat an assortment of fruits. Hopefully there were blueberries he thought as he got closer. There were pretzels and chips. There even seemed to be a bowl of fancy nuts to the side too. 

So this is what brings people in he thought. Sure there was music and drinks. And yeah, people seemed to really enjoy talking to each other. But fancy food? That was the real prize in his eyes.

As he grabbed a handful of nuts he began to chomp away, not bothering with a plate. He looked to the side and saw a girl staring at him eyes wide. 

Oh no. This is it. He was about to be booted to the curb. At that thought he stuffed his face with the nuts in hand and went back for some of the fruit. He was going to get as much food as he could before he was shown the exit.

The girl got closer and suddenly stopped looking startled. "Kit?"

He slowly stopped chewing and looked at her. She obviously was confused because he was most certainly not this Kit fellow. As he thought of what to do the girl began to ramble on.

"I thought it was you. I can't believe you are here! Its me Mary! You look great. My friend Jane said I should dye my hair a darker color maybe like yours but I don't know." He continued to eat the berries in his hand and watch as she continued on. "I think it might look weird. Do you think it would look weird? You know what is weird? Donuts. Why do they have a hole in them it is such a waste." He nodded with that thought. 

And just as suddenly as she started she stopped.  

She blinked and kind of laughed as she looked at him and waited for a response. To what he didn't know. Where was he to start? He didn't even process everything she said. He went to eat another berry to buy himself more time but the bowl was empty. 

Looking up at her he decided to nod again in hopes she would continue taking.

He then watched as she blinked again and then proceeded to bend down and hurl all over the floor.

It was now his turn to blink and stare. As he looked at her, he tried to figure out what he was supposed to do with a girl he didn't know lying next to vomit near the bottom of the stool he sat on. He didn't want to draw attention. 

A guy suddenly appeared and lifted her up. He smiled crookedly and sort of laughed as he pulled her up in his arms. 

"Sorry Kit. You know how these parties go."

And all he could think was no. No I don't know how these things go. I never come to these things. And who is Kit? It still isn't me. 

He watches as the guy carried Mary out of the kitchen. And as soon as they walked out of the kitchen a another guy strolled in. The guy was tall and muscular. Nothing like himself. Probably double his own size. He was wearing a white shirt that had the words "Todd the King of Beer Pong" scrawled on it.The man looked at him and cheered.

"KIT," he bellowed.

Oh for goodness sake again with the Kit. 

As soon as the man finished yelling he swooped him up off the stool and stuck him over and behind his head, sitting him down as if this were a usual thing. 

He started to freak out about how high he was. Before anything else could happen, the guy, Todd maybe? turned around and ran back into the room where everyone danced.

He let's out a yell and shouts "EVERYONE IT'S KIT!" 

The music turns down and everyone looks over at him and the guy carrying him. 

Oh no. This is it. Yeah those other people thought he was Kit but a whole room of people? No way. They would not recognize him and would be quick to inform the heathen known as Todd that he was in fact not Kit. They would all give him dirty looks and throw him out the front door any minute now. 

The music increases and everyone jumps up screaming as the energy goes higher than it was before.

"KIT! KIT! KIT!"

As they chant a girl comes up and puts a yellow rain hat on him.

And all he could think was of course. Why should he expect anything else than a chorus of chanting from these wacky people. And a classic fisherman's hat? Just a normal night like any other. 

Finally giving in he lifts his arms up and tries to yell out. It doesn't turn out as loud as he would have liked, nowhere near the level of the others. But the crowd seemed to love it nonetheless. 

As the man below him walks into the crowd he hears the quick endings of a conversation between what appears to be a couple. 

"Kit walks by the frat house every night. Rain or shine. We named him Kit after a while. But he never comes close to the house. But now, that party crasher, he's one of us now."

So maybe I am Kit? the raccoon thinks as the music pumps louder and the lights shine down on him.

May 08, 2021 21:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tricia Shulist
14:57 May 15, 2021

Ha! Great ending. That was fun. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.