0 comments

East Asian Creative Nonfiction Contemporary

When did you experience a disturbing moment in your life that you have to face rather than turn your back and get away. For months Mrs. Marta Sarmiento heard from her workmates at school about the new principal who arrived few months before and school authorities come to investigate the validity of the reports that she was not welcomed in their school. Marta taught English in the higher grades and her pupils struggle in their English lessons looking for resources to help them in their reading lessons. One of her pupils cannot read at all staring blankly to the open book infront of her and Ma'm Marta (teachers are address Ma'm or Madam) was getting worried where almost two-third of her pupils cannot read and they were already in grade level six. How did they reached this grade level? The Department of Education had approved a policy to pass all pupils to minimize expenses. It was the duty of each teacher to find ways in order to pass their pupils whether they can read or not in English. English was the medium of instruction before the native language was introduced as a subject and most teachers didn't specialized English to teach as a subject anymore. Ma;m Marta learned the English language when it was the medium of instruction in all subjects in the elementary grades nationwide. When she was in Grade Six she can already summarized a story conjugate verbs and diagram the different kinds of sentences whereas her pupils now are really non-readers. yes non readers and what will she do? Since she is taking her Advanced Studies in Education she spent her time one day in the university library where she was able to take down notes about Dolch Basic Sight words her pupils in mind to start their reading and overcome their difficulties. She wrote the words in a chart two hundred ten in all. These basic sight words were arranged alphabetically. This arrangement of words had helped to guide her pupils since the alphabet was the most basic knowledge you have to know in learning English. Another helpful tool is using the concrete and abstract theory when introducing new words and possibly Marta had introduced this again to her class to refresh their minds. She also wrote words for the class to read then words phrases then sentences. In that way pupils can express what they wanted to say in words phrases and sentences. Using these reading techniques are no longer in the school curriculum but Ma'm Marta really wanted to accelerate the reading abilities of her pupils. She knew she can reverse this situation by using the least time given for remedial reading. She extended her remedial reading class to the lower grades from grade three four and five levels. Now it became a school level reading project wherein the study tried to find out how many non readers were at the school. It was now the middle of the schoolyear and Ma'm Marta when she went to the principal's office to file her reports she is confronted about the upcoming meeting of the district supervisor to meet each one of the school faculty and shed light what they feel and say about the new principal. Marta had no idea what to say incase she will be interrogated but something crept in her mind about teacher's promotions and from hearsays two friends were contenders to become the assistant principal. The older friend was expecting to be the choice but the new principal was already training the younger friend so there might have been a wrong choice according to the older friend considering her seniority. The time came for Marta to face the District Supervisor. "Marta I heard you are the leader of those who didn't like the new principal? she added sternly, if you are, you will face the consequences.' Ma'm Marta didn't wait any minute to pass that she told the supervisor the group of the older friend who are spreading the rumors . When Ma'm Marta was back at her school she didn't feel anything but a big relief as she watched from the library corridor looking down one of her co-teachers going to the district office to meet the supervisor. The decision came upon the transfer to another school of the older friend. At the opening of the new schoolyear the younger friend was now the assistant principal. She expressed her gratitude to Ma'm Marta of what she did. "You had solved a complicated problem, I commend you for that.' Ma'm Marta was assigned now as a special teacher to be the Chairman of the Research Committee. She is no longer a class adviser. Ma;m Marta was sent to school conferences. She coached her pupils in school Art Contests being also a teacher in Music and Arts. One of her lesson plans was published by a teacher's magazine circulated nationwide as a model lesson plan. Her assignment to teach English for non-readers who are in the last section of the departmentalized subject posed a question in her mind. Their reason why. they say she was good in English. How come?> Why not the higher section? To counter this notion she decided to undertake a school research. This was called Actual Research for those who have taken the Academic Requirements leading to the Master of Education degree. Remedial reading classes for other teachers were set up to help their pupils who cannot read. It was a whole year project to be submitted at the end of the schoolyear. It was an arduous task to check how far one non-reader has improve her reading or not. But the most gratifying moment when the non reader started to read her book from the beginning to the end is the only reward a teacher could get. On the other hand you could see the joy of the child as soon as the world of reading is opened in front of her becomes a happy experience. Non-readers had a chance to overcome their difficulties only with qualified teachers who push their pupils to become book readers. Ma'm Marta's School Actual Research Project was approved that she was included in the roster of candidates to become assistant school principals. A few years passed the younger friend Ma'm Marta had sided for assistant principal promotion became the School Superintendent where all the faculty became proud of her including the older friend.

July 17, 2022 13:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.