0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

He had been nicknamed ‘Pedro’ while in America and the name had stuck. He was an athletic young man about 27, tall, fair and handsome with neatly combed hair and a trim moustache. He had gone to the USA in early life and had a degree in petrochemicals. His sponsor – a relative – had said “Pedro, you’ve a degree and experience here. I think you should go back to India. Mehrchand who is chief of Zica Chemicals is offering you a research job.” Pedro had come back to India and was part of Zica Chemicals. That was a year ago. Zica had two divisions one petrochemicals and two chemicals for manufacture of drugs. The company was very profitable and Mehrchand had established a research lab in petrochemicals in which Pedro was member of a team. Pedro’s team consisted of 3 members, himself, Hakim and the woman Violet. Coordination among teams was done by Lavanya, a senior female. She was 29 was tall, fair with a face and body which would turn men’s eyes towards her.

The building had a common canteen in a floor above, where all executives would gather and it would be open round the clock since the plant functioned that way. That was where Pedro met Rupa in particular. She was a very good-looker about 24 and had passed exams cum laud with gold medals, and was held in high esteem by people in the field. She worked in the division which produced chemicals for drugs. Pedro and Rupa were mutually attracted and would come together for picnics etc arranged by Mehrchand to bind employees together.

Violet was not that good looking like Rupa though she was passable. She was known for her melodious voice and singing ability. In fact a film song in a super hit film had made her widely known.  Violet was head over heels in love with Pedro. She knew the competition with Rupa was tough but she set out to capture him. That day she said “Pedro, one of my songs is going to be auditioned for a film. Music director Djamil will be there as well as certain actors. I’ve been allowed to bring a guest who is not in the film field. I’m inviting you.” He nodded. She said “The function is at the Little Theatre Hall at 6 PM on Sunday. Come at 5.” He agreed.

That Sunday Pedro was at the venue and was received by Violet herself. Looking at her he whistled and said “Viola, I couldn’t recognise you in that magnificent sari, make up and jewel fittings.”

She was flattered. She introduced him to the long bearded Djamil, composer cum music director who was clad in pyjamas with a long shirt on top. Djamil said “Mr.Pedro, I’m largely uneducated and don’t know how to talk to researchers. I hope you won’t mind if I’m not talkative. I fell in love with Viola’s voice and am encouraging her.”

There were preparations and finally Violet stood at the mike wearing large ear phones. She sang a song to the accompaniment of musical instruments and received a standing ovation. Djamil called for an encore and there was a discussion between the movie makers. After that there was high tea which was enjoyable. At the end Violet came to Pedro and said “Can you drop me home? I came by the studio’s car and am dispensing with it.”

“Sure I will.”

After getting into the car she said to him “Let’s park near the lake for a few minutes. As you know I’m a paying guest in an apartment complex which is facing the lake.”

Having parked she said “We’ve been working together but you never take notice of me as a female except today. You know how much I appreciated your words of praise the way I came dressed?”

He knew where the conversation was heading and said “Viola, I’ve not been serious about looking for a wife. I like you a lot. Also.......”

She interrupted saying “That is a lie. Everyone says you’re courting Rupa. She won’t suit you since she is arrogant. I hate the sight of her.”

It looked to Pedro that she had started shedding tears at that stage. She said “Okay drop me at the red gate there.”

Pedro dropped her after giving her a hug and said “See you tomorrow at the lab.”

As he drove back he thought about what Violet had said. She was going to be a star in the cinema horizon no doubt. However his mind was on Rupa who was very beautiful and was recognised as an authority in certain areas of research. She had told him she had an offer of a job under UN auspices and was seriously considering it. He asked himself “Why not marry her and go to live in Switzerland?” He could always get a job there with his American degree. “Somehow I prefer her. I had never thought of Violet to be my wife.” His mind was in a quandary: His parents were no more and he had no one to help him think of life ahead. He was looking for someone who would guide him in life. Sometimes in his dreams he would feel forlorn. He looked for someone who would help him live a steady life. He didn’t think Violet would fit.

Soon there was an opportunity to be alone with Rupa. It was at her birthday party. Talking to her he said “Rupa, what are your plans for the future?”

Rupa didn’t answer for moments. Then she said “I’ve none. I introduced you to my parents. They’ll take care of it. I had told you about a Swiss job. They’re against my taking it.”

“Let me ask you a simple question and let the answer be direct. What would you say if I proposed to you?”

She didn’t hesitate but said immediately “I would’ve to give it a lot of thought and consult my parents. Let me think it over.”

A fortnight later Pedro and Lavanya were at the gas station of their complex suspecting some contamination in gas purity. At that time the staff were alerted about a possible gas leak, and they rushed out checking pipelines. Lavanya said “We’ll have to put off the search for the contamination.” As they walked back to the lab, they had to cross the animal house when they sensed gas leakage and she immediately muffled her face and nose with folds of her sari but Pedro was overcome and fainted. She untied a part of her sari and closed his mouth and nose. Then with muffled voice she shouted for help as loudly as possible and a janitor came to help. Lavanya now asked for the ambulance and it arrived in seconds.  Pedro’s face was still masked by folds of her sari and the two landed in the campus medical centre.

The doctor who examined the unconscious Pedro gave him an injection and revived him. His eyes were inflamed. The doctor said “No need to worry about him. We’ll keep him here for now and shift him to hospital.”

Head honcho Mehrchand himself immediately came and enquired about the gas leak. He said “Lavanya, fortunately it was a small leak from a cylinder and the escaped cloud had landed over where you two had stood. You had covered yourself just in time”

“Sir, before Pedro could pull out the handkerchief he had inhaled the gas.”

“I’ve ordered an enquiry into the incident to ensure it doesn’t happen again. I know he lives alone. It’s better he stays in the hospital as long as necessary. Lavanya, my car is standing outside to take you home. Pedro, you’re safe. I’ll see you again later.”

That evening, Pedro who was moved to the hospital, sat on a chair wondering about what had happened. Just then Violet came to see him with a big bag of fruits both fresh and dried. She said “Pedro I was very sorry to hear about what happened. Get well soon and consider what I had hinted at when we met after the audition.”

Just as she was going out Rupa dropped in with more fruit. He said laughing “I can’t consume this amount of fruit in a month! Hakim will come and a few others as well. I must distribute it to them!”

She said “I told my parents about you and they said they had no objection if you proposed to me. I can stay the night here if you accept.”

He laughed and said “I’ve a lot to think about. I can’t do that if you’re here. See you as soon as I can.”

Pedro lay thinking about the two proposals. He had decided against Violet. However he had Rupa. He thought deeply about Rupa. Then his mind dwelt on Lavanya. She was no doubt elder to him by about 2 years. But her timely help had saved him from poisonous gas. Perhaps the age difference may make her reject him. He knew she was conservatively brought up and lived with her parents. But she was unmarried. Why not make an attempt to get her? Late that night Lavanya came to visit him. He thanked her for her timely help.

She said “I understand Rupa had been here to see you. I hope that satisfies you.”

He was silent a few minutes. Then he said “I know all were thinking that I was after Rupa.”

He continued “I hadn’t made up my mind. Rupa has accepted me no doubt but......”

“I don’t understand! It means you’ll be marrying her. I wish you all the best.”

“Wait a minute. My only living kin is in America. He has no say in decisions on my marriage. So I’ve to think it over deeply.”

“I still don’t understand what you say.”

“I’m not looking for a wife who would like show business. I’m not interested in a woman’s beauty as it were. I need a wife who would understand me, care for me and counsel me even if she were slightly older. I need someone who is reliable and courageous like you.”

She was overwhelmed and said softly “If that is a proposal I accept.”

He got up and ardently kissed her. He thought “Both Violet and Rupa are going to be surprised at my decision. I’m happy I’ve found the right woman for wife.”

Aftermath: Violet resigned from Zica and took to film music. Rupa also resigned after her marriage to a professor arranged by her parents.

END

December 15, 2020 02:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.