0 comments

Fiction Drama Inspirational

Linda Parson walked into the Walker Building at a fast pace and sipping her second cup of coffee. Walked at a fast pace through security and didn’t greet the guard, stood at the elevator door frustrated. Kept punching the lift door, wondered why the elevator door won’t open faster. Entered the elevator and sipped her coffee and wondered why she had to share the elevator with everyone. People entered the lift to go to their office and got frustrated. Wished she had her own elevator, which would have taken her straight to the office. When the lift stopped at the tenth floor, she pushed her way through, annoyed with everyone for making her late. Walked to her office, greeted no one and everyone ignored her. Her office had a pleasant view of Swan River, but she never bothered enjoying the sight.

Today was an important day. Her company, Hotels and Luxury Holidays was going to bid for the Alphine Heaven Hotel in Tasmania. The hotel overlooked the beautiful mountains. Her pitch aimed at like-minded individuals for increased company revenue. Promoted Marketing Director will mean a huge salary and more benefits. Removed her light blue jacket and opened her laptop to go over her points for the meeting in an hour and got a shock. Slammed her laptop and stood up and entered the boardroom and her manager, Francis Hillman, stood.

“Linda -.”

“What do you mean, you are cancelling the bidding? I worked a whole month to pitch buying the hotel, and you cancelled the bidding. Do you know how much money we have lost?”

“It’s not about the money. Alphine Heaven has a gorgeous scenery, the mountains, and I thought we should target holiday makers, a place of relaxation. Business-like-minded people wasn’t the right target.”

“What do you mean, it’s not about the money? We have lost three hundred million dollars. How can you let that happen?”

“Linda, calm down, please let me-.”

“Don’t you dare tell me to calm down. Understood, we lost money Francis, we lost money.”

“Linda, please.”

“Alphine Heaven could have brought us millions. Can you see that Francis millions? But no, you let it go.”

“Linda, Holiday, Cruise and Trail were targeting yoga and bush walking enthusiasts, a relaxation hub, we would have lost to them.”

“You gave up because you feared a freaking small company. I could have bid and we could have won. The company lost so much money?”

Linda held her chest. She struggled to breathe and Francis shouted.

“Call triple zero now.”

***

Linda opened her eyes, wondered where she was. The heart monitor beeped, her body covered with a white blanket. Saw a nurse walking past her room and she realized she was inside a hospital room. She noticed her ex-husband sitting near her, hadn’t seen him for five years. Brady wore a suit and stared at her. Concern written on his face.

She sat upright. “Brady, what are you doing here?”

“I’m listed as your next of kin. That’s why I’m here. Doctors say it’s a panic attack. They will discharge you in an hour. You need to take it easy, Linda.”

Placed her hand on her forehead. “Oh, Brady, not again.”

“You know the reason for our breakup, right? Always on the go, wanting more money, never relaxed, working on weekends.”

“Why are you even here, Brady. To lecture me on how to run my life? Aren’t you married to whatever her name is? You had an affair. that’s why we got a divorce.”

“I knew this will happen one day, will find you in hospital. Doctors say it wasn’t a heart attack, but if you don’t take it easy, you will get one. Remember the last thing I told you when I left? Take care of yourself, but I can see you didn’t listen.”

“Go home to your wife, Brady.”

Brady stood. “Please relax, take it easy, please. Do it for Vivy and Paul. I’m going camping. Why don’t you come?”

“No, I have a job. Can see you haven’t changed, wasting precious time camping and–.”

“That’s why we got a divorce. You never relaxed, no weekend getaway. No time off or anything. Vivy and Paul ended up with me because you never had time for them. I had to raise them on my own. They now have a younger sister and brother. Lisa and Freddy.”

“I paid for the kids to attend the best prestigious school in Perth and because of my work life they have the best education money can buy.”

“Life isn’t just about money, Linda. Have you enjoyed simple things in life, like holidays, a pleasant lunch, or relaxing?”

Linda removed the blanket and stood near her bed. “We lost millions, and I need to return to the office and try to get the bidding on track.”

“Perhaps it is time to take a break and let it go Linda.”

Linda stared at Brady in shock. “Let it go, we lost money, Brady.”

The nurse entered the office. “The doctor said you can leave, you should relax.”

Linda wore her skirt. “Oh, shut up. I must return to work. Need to get the bidding on track. Can’t believe they let millions slide.”

***

She returned to the building and walked to her office, but she found her office door locked. Then she walked to the reception area and saw Tina typing on the keyboard. Linda shouted.

“Tina, where the heck are the keys to my office?”

“Francis wants to speak to you.”

Francis opened the door. “Linda, my office now.”

Linda marched to his office. “What Francis, we need to bid for -.”

“Linda you need–. “

“Don’t tell me to let it go. We need Alphine Heaven.”

“You need time off, Linda.”

Linda laughed. “Need time off. I need that deal. We need to make the deal now.”

“Linda, take some time off. You had a panic attack. When did you last take a vacation?”

“Who cares. We lost -.”

“We almost lost you, thankful it was not a heart attack. I think it’s time you take a well-deserved break. You have ten weeks of your service leave. Why don’t you take it, go relax.”

“No, I want that bid.”

“Listen Linda, we appreciate what you have done for this company and we think it’s time we let you enjoy your break. Why don’t you go home now and relax, book a holiday?”

“No,”

“Linda please -.”

“This is my job, my life -.”

Francis interrupted her. “Your health is your life, your kids. When was the last time you did something with them? Tina and Selina are off to a safari next weekend -.”

Linda placed her hands on her hips. “A safari.”

“Have you visited Kenya and Tanzania? Selina and Tina are going on a safari. Go join them. You haven’t gone outside Australia, leave alone Perth. Explore a new country, eat exotic food and wild animals.”

“You are kidding me.”

“Have you gone to Paris? Julie and her family are going to Paris next month, go with them and enjoy some nice French food.”

“I need to work.”

“No, you need to relax. Hey, why don’t you join my wife, Gail? Do some shopping, enjoy a massage and Gail knows the best places to relax and dine and she is excellent at booking pleasant hotels and holidays. Let me call her.”

“Francis, there is nothing you can do to make me leave my job.”

“Then I will fire you.”

“I brought millions for this company. Any company will want me. Bet I will start my new job tomorrow.”

***

Linda entered her house and dropped the box of her stuff on the floor. She quit her job and needed to find a new job. She had to work tomorrow. She remembered Retro Living wanted to hire her, and she called them, but they weren’t interested. Called other competitor companies, but they were no vacancies. Shocked, no one wanted to hire her. With her company ranking number one in Australia, she expected someone would want to hire her. Wiped a tear from her eyes. Maybe she should have taken her leave instead of quitting and cursing Francis. Unsure of what to do. She sat on the couch and wore her rubber shoes. Decided to walk around her neighbourhood.

Linda was unaware a park existed in her neighbourhood. Sat on the bench and watched the kids playing. Had a strange feeling, a feeling she has never felt before, a peaceful feeling. A little girl waved to her. Linda didn’t wave back and the kid ran on the swing.

“Hey lady, come give me a push. Come, push me lady.”

She walked to the swing and pushed the little girl, and tears dropped from her eyes. She never pushed Vivy and Paul on the swing, never walked with them to the park. Brady did that, and that’s how he met Bella, his current wife. Bella was taking her nieces to the park and Vivy and Paul liked her because she played with them. The girl ran to the slide and Linda walked home and picked up her phone.

“Hey Brady, where’s Vivy and Paul? Want to take them for lunch? Thank you.”

***

Linda walked to the Hilon Restaurant. Walking made her calm, wondered why she never walked. Why didn’t she walk with her kids or walk with Banjo the Labrador? She told Brady to take the dog. Regretted not spending time with her kids or husband.

She entered the empty restaurant. Vivy and Paul sat with Brady, Lisa and Freddy.

Brady stood and walked towards her. “Couldn’t leave the little ones alone, so they came.”

Vivy and Paul didn’t stand up to hug her, Brady moved to the table with the other two kids. Linda sat at the table.

“Hi Vivy and Paul.”

Paul stared at her and didn’t smile. “What do you want, mum?”

Brady snapped. “Paul.”

“Sorry, heard you almost had a heart attack. Are you okay?”

“Yes, taking some time off from work.”

Vivy smirked. “Mum, you got fired. You never took time off, never went camping or did anything with us. Now you had a heart attack -.”

Brady snapped. “Vivy.”

Vivy stood. “What dad, she has never bothered with us. Why now?”

Paul sipped his drink. “She almost had a heart attack? She wants to spend time with us.”

Linda stood. “I’m sorry Vivy, today at the park I played with a little girl. I never took the time to play or do fun things with you and Paul. Wanted to make it up, please give me a chance.”

Vivy nodded her head in disbelief. “Do you know how many times we tried to reach out to you and you ignored us? You told dad to take us and not even once did you visit us. Because you are too busy. Spending a day with a child in the park won’t compensate for ten years of ignoring us. Bye mum.”

Linda held Vivy’s hand. “Please give me a second chance. Don’t we all deserve a second chance?”

“You missed plays -.”

Tears dropped from Linda’s eyes. “I’m sorry, please forgive me.”

Paul stood. “Never seen you cry before. That heart attack did a number on you. Vivy, let mum have lunch with us,”

“Fine.”

Linda wiped a tear and sat on the table. Bella arrived and wanted to take the kids home, but Linda refused and said they should eat together. For the first time, she sat with her kids and ate with them. She learnt Vivy was in a drama club. And was the lead character in Romeo and Juillet. Paul was in a basketball club. Had an important game on the weekend. Linda promised she will attend. If they win this game, they will go to Melbourne to play in the national finals. Little Lisa was in ballet and Freddy played basketball as well.

***

After lunch, she walked home and sat on the couch. Wondered what to do next. She noticed the stack of CDs and walked to the stereo. Took a random CD and placed it inside the stereo and the upbeat music played. She danced and had forgotten the glorious feeling of dancing and of letting yourself loose. She stopped, dancing, when Brady and Vivy entered the house.

“Oh sorry,”

Brady smiled. “Good to see you dancing. Remembered we went dancing, and you were an excellent dancer. Vivy wanted to ask you a question. Go ahead Vivy.”

“We are going camping next week. Do you want to come?”

“Yes, I will love to come.”

“Cool, we are going to buy camping stuff tomorrow. Will do some shopping.”

“Of course, will be ready at six.”

“Mom, you’re not working. Will come at ten and we’ll go shopping.

Linda smiled. “Okay honey.”

Vivy smiled at her, and she wiped a tear. Walked to the car with Vivy and waved goodbye to Brady’s family. Walked to the house and opened a directory and joined a dancing group. She blasted the music and danced. Realized maybe losing the millions, a panic attack and getting fired was the best thing to happen today. She spent time with her kids, danced, walked and next week she’s going camping with her family.

June 04, 2024 02:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.