0 comments

Drama Historical Fiction Romance

 He pushed the study door open and the King's flinty stare met his. Without hesitation he took a seat opposite his father, straightening his Royal blue jacket.

The king's fingers steepled as he dumped whatever it was that he was writing on the desk and studied Philip. They both had been through this routine so many times before that Philip knew what was expected of him, this time however, his instincts told him that the stakes would be much higher, so he willed his racing heart to calm itself.

His eyes avoided that of his father's as it darted across the room, there were vestiges of the past age about the room from the crenelated plaster cornice edging the high ceilings, to the gas-lit Crystal chandelier that hung down almost to the top of a tall man's head and the vaulted lead glass window that now only looked out on to a blank brick wall, giving it an ageless opulence and medieval social grace.

"You seem to want to play this very well." The King said finally interrupting the quiet ticking of the grandfather clock that had overtaken the silence between them.

"I haven't played anything, father," he replied.

The King's head tipped ever so slightly and Philip steeled himself for the upcoming debate.

"I was only using your analogy," the older man shrugged. "A pawn in my game, if I recall correctly. I daresay you ought to think a little too highly of yourself, you're at the very least a knight, useful but not as dangerous as you might think."

Philip felt his cheeks heat but held his tongue, keeping his temper in check.

"At least I don't always get to destroy everything in my path to get to where I want to go," Philip replied, playing along. He quirked an unamused eyebrow.

"Indeed." The King said, dropping his steely gaze from Philip's to his hand which was twisting the ring on his finger that was bearing a lion's head and then resting to the papers laid out on his desk. "Though whatever piece you consider yourself now is irrelevant, you know as much as anyone that you have always been destined to become king."

"I love her, father." Philip said flatly, ignoring his father's words. The King's eyes met his once again, his brows crashing down in hostile disbelief. Philip had to force himself not to squirm under his unblinking stare.

"Did you ever think I would take this lightly?" The King demanded finally, leaning back in his chair to study him over steepled fingers once again.

"I love Dorothy, father and__" Philip had already started.

"__You are the heir to the throne! And you do not have the luxury of curtailing cheap feelings like love towards people more especially one from the Mariona's descent, don't you get it?" King Edward roared, standing. He leaned over the desk, towering over Philip in a threatening manner, but Philip refused to cower.

"Is that your threat then? My crown?" He asked, his fingers curled into fists on the desk.

"If it were, would you give up the girl?" The king asked, seating himself as his jaw clenched in frustration.

"No!" Philip replied instantly. He felt a fleeting hint of momentary relief that he'd guessed the King's move before he'd made it.

"I would rethink that if I were you, son." 

Philip who was already rising to his feet reeled backwards at the revelation. "You're a manipulative__" his lips trembled as he tried to snarl at the king who rose in protest at his words.

"__You would do as I say Philip, or so help me God, I will take my thoughts and words into actions." He thundered.

"You would not." Philip managed, but the cruel tilt of the King's head told him that his father would. He'd played him so successfully to a corner that he could barely think straight.

"Keep up with your antics and watch the wrath of it unfold before your very eyes."

"I am not consenting to this," Philip spoke out, hatred and desperation flooding his thoughts. "This is pure black mail."

"It is your duty to your people," The King's words were cold. "And don't ever think you can foist this on your sister or half brother by abdicating. You are my sole heir."

"You act like a monster, infact you are monster," Philip couldn't hold it back any longer.

"I am a king." King Edward said in a matter of fact voice. "And you would do well not to forget that the next time you try not to think outside the box." He picked up his quill, dunking it into the ink, peering back into the papers on his desk and he continued his writing as a sign of dismissal to the meeting.

 Philip, considering his present attitude towards his father's decision as a reckless force that might be properly harnessed if he tried using a different approach.

"Father, please__" He started again.

"Don't try to preach to me Philip, quit the act of playing Romeo and face your duties and your betrothed. Stay away from that Mariona girl."

"Her name is Dorothy."

"I don't care! I do not give a rat ass about that piece!" The King banged his fist on his desk, rising. Philip followed suite. "Stay away from her!"

"No father, I love her, can't you see?"

The King's look was withering. "I don't think I ever raised a fool." He shook his head. "I never raised a fool for a son."

"Love is not foolishness, trying out seeking for peace is never foolish, father. War is foolish, fighting over stupid causes is very much foolish. I don't think the difference is very hard to depict. You all only care about destruction, always destroying things that you feel has gotten in your way, that's not how things are done father." There was a slight pause. "This malice between the Mariona kingdom and our kingdom has to end."

"Whatever you call it, however you choose to describe it, has thus brought me this far, distractions like this ought not to be tolerated. Besides your engagement ball is in a fortnight, there should be no cause for any lollydally."

Philip's nose flared, feeling pensive that despite all the reasoning he'd tried to lay out, his father still refuses to hear him out.

"I hear about how you bring her into my palace, or rather, sneak her in. I forbid her from entering here or even you seeing her anymore, this is the order of not just a father but a King." The King eased back on his chair, not once looking at Philip as he read through what he'd been writing.

"You can't just wall me up in this castle." Philip's retort was welcomed with silence.

The clock chimed noon.

"Order and Rules be damned then!" Philip stormed out of the study.

January 11, 2021 00:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.