2 comments

Mystery

I sigh as I stare at my ceiling, Shawn Mendes blasting through my airpods. Why, Tommy?, I think. Why did you leave me? That's a stupid question and I know it. He left me for Alyssa. Because she's better. Richer. Prettier. I pick up my phone and go to photos, scrolling through our cute pictures together.

I tap on the one where we are at Biggby and we are posing outside next to the sign. I remember we were acting like it was a famous momument or something. He has whipped topping on his nose and a big grin on his face. My finger goes to the little trash can in the bottom right corner, but I can't make myself do it. I just can't. My stomach hurts and I finally decide to let out the tears that I've been holding in. After a couple minutes, I go downstairs to make some tea and I see my mom cooking dinner. She gives me one look and wraps her arms around me and I start sobbing all over again.

"Oh, Honey... Shhh, it's okay."

She brings me to the couch and sits me down, hugging me.

"When did it happen?"

"T-today after s-school."

"Aww, I'm so sorry, sweetheart."

I just cry harder and sniffle. She sighs.

"Boys stink. Do you want some dinner? It's almost ready."

"I-I'm sorry, Mom, but I'm not that hungry."

"I understand. Just get yourself some sleep."

"Okay, M-mom. Night."

"Good night, Baby. I love you."

"Love you, too."

I head upstairs and fall on my bed, snuggling into my blankets as the tears stream down my face.

...


When I wake up, it's still dark outside. Huh. That's weird. I don't feel like I woke up early. I check the time. 6:35. Usually the sunn would be out by now... I suddenly feel like crying, even though after last night I would have like no liquid left in my body. I decide to go downstairs. As I do, I pass by an alarm clock on a table in the hallway that now says 6:36 PM. PM? I just woke up. Did I sleep through a whole day?

"Mom?"

My mom looks up at me and comes in for a hug.

"Oh, Honey... Shhh, it's okay."

I stand there awkwardly, confused, and not hugging back.

"Um, mom?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"What day is it?'

"February 14."

Another punch-in-the-gut reminder of Tommy breaking up with me on freaking valentines day. But I slept. What the heck.

"Okay..."

"Do you want some din-"

All of a sudden there's a flash of color and I'm back in bed. I sit up. It's morning now, the sun shining brightly through the curtians. Did I dream that? I get up and get ready, picking out jeans and a t-shirt to wear. When I'm done, I go downstairs and get myself a bowl of cereal. I put the milk away when I'm done and go to the table to eat. As I'm eating and scrolling on social media, my mom comes in the room.

"Hi, Honey. How are you this morning?"

"Fine," I say into my phone. She sighs and kisses my head.

"Okay, well, your brother is coming home later."

I sit up, setting my phone down in excitment.

"What?!"

She laughs.

"I knew that would get your attention. Yes, Jack is coming home from college this afternoon."

"Mom! Actually?! What time?"

"Around two."

I grin and finish my cereal, setting the bowl in the sink and sprinting upstairs.

"Thanks, Mom!"

I don't hear her response because I'm already facetiming my brother in my room. When he answers and connects, I see he's in a car.

"Jack! You're coming home?!"

He laughs, smiling.

"Yeah, why?"

"Mom just told me!"

He grins and looks behind him in traffic and makes a turn.

"Cool."

"What time do you think you'll get here?"

"Sometime around two or three."

"That's what Mom said."

"So why are you asking me?" He says, laughing.

"I needed to hear it from you. I have so much to tell you!" I feel my fac grow sad. "Tommy broke up with me yesterday."

"What? I liked that kid."

I shrug.

"Yeah, so did I."

"I'm sorry, Sis. Alright, we can talk about this when I get home, okay?"

"Okay."

"Love you."

"Love you, too."

...

"Melanie!"

I bolt up in my desk chair.

"Jack's here!" my mom calls. I sprint downstairs to see Jack standing in front of the door, holding some packed bags and a large smile on his face.

"Jack!" I say, running into his arms. It's been one year since I've last seen my big brother. Too long. He laughs, hugging me.

"Hey, peanut," he says, using his nickname for me. I grin.

"Hey. How's college?"

"Great."

"I have something for you, Jack! I'll be right back," I say, jogging back up the stairs to my room, but before I can get to the fifth step, I fall through the floor. My scream is drowned out as I fall. I don't fall through the floor literally. I fall into a blur of colors. I'm in space, then a science center, glitching from one reality to another as fast as one can blink. Then I'm back in my living room, standing on the steps.

"You good?" Jack asks me. I blink, then turn to him.

"Y-yeah."

I go to my room and get his gift that's wrapped in a box. I bring it downstairs and hand it to him. He smiles at me, opens it and... I fall through the floor. Again. This time I'm in all darkness, and ever sound seems like I'm underwater. There is a light above me. It takes me a minute to realize I am underwater. I start to float to the surface gradually.

"Melanie!"

I blink, and I'm back to looking at my brothers face.

"Sorry."

"Are you okay?"

"Fine."

"You said that last time."

"I said I'm fine, Jack."

He gives me a look.

"Okay..."

"Don't worry about it."

"Why shouldn't I?"

"Because it's not your buisness."

"My sister is my buisness. Is it Jack?"

"No! Stop being nosy, okay?! I said I'm fine and just leave me alone!" I yell at him and run upstairs without bothering to watching him open my gift.

"Melanie!" My mom calls after me angerly. I ignore her and run to my room anyways and sit on my bed, putting my head in my hands. It's happening more often. Why, though? What is it? Am I glitching? That's not possible. Suddenly, I get very dizzy and collapse on the ground. Darkness swallows me. When I open my eyes, I'm in bed with my airpods in, listening to Shawn Mendes. I feel like crying. Oh, no. I go downstairs quickly to see my mom cooking dinner.

"Oh, Honey... shhh, it's okay..."

February 07, 2023 19:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Laurel Hanson
21:25 Feb 10, 2023

You've done something quite interesting with this prompt. AN enjoyable read.

Reply

Brooke Peterson
15:21 Feb 21, 2023

Aww thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.