Oh,Linda

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a story about a first or last kiss.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama

Linda Howlett, knew she was not the most attractive girl on the scene, She attended the local youth club to feel part of the scene. Linda had thick brown curly hair, that prefered to do its own thing ?Partularly when washed it become very frizzy.

Recently Linda had started to wear mod clothes. Shorter skirts. Her legs were good, Problem being she had freckles on her face and proturding teeth.

How she wished she was pretty like Jill and Sue. Vibrant with warm brown eyes like Viv who many "fellas fancied. It was the seventies, fella, being the in word for boyfriend or a decent looking bloke that every one admired.

The youth club was held at a local Ex Service -man's Club every Thursday 7pm till 10pm, for teens, fifteen to eighteen years of age. An older adult was in charge of the club. There was a bar selling soft drinks and crisps. Worn Red and Lime green Draylon furniture decorated the room. It was some where to go, rather than walk the streets with your friends.

Linda looked at the clock another Thurday night? The club consisted of the lounge with the bar, and a smaller room with a television where couples hung out. Why did she come? Every one was friendly. Some looked sadly at Linda. Clive and Sandy were so lucky to be together, they chatted away in their own little world. Linda thought about leaving early it was eight thirty she felt a pat on her shoulder.

There he was Cyd? Blond hair, too tall for Linda with a shiny black tooth in his mouth at the front. Everyone was cheering as Cyd chatted to Linda offering to walk her home. Even Ted the club orgainser looked happy as she left the club with Cyd. The kiss Cyd gave Linda was vile, lingering he had forced his tongue down the back of her throat. She was glad that no one had seen them in the street outside her house as it was dark. Frankenstines Monster, she hoped she would never ever see Cyd again. He had insisted that they meet the following Saturday at the Park.

Saturday had come wet with puddles of water on the pavement. Linda sat warm and dry indoors reading Blue Jeans Magazine "Yuk" Cyd had a bloody cheek kissing her like that. He just was not nice. A loud banging on the front door an hour later like a hurrican . Linda had rushed down stairs from her bed room in odd shoes. At the front door stood Cyd. "What a let down she had been, standing him up. He went on making her feel small and humiliated. Telling her she had no respect for others. Before strolling off.

After her father had asked, "Who the devil, was that odd fellow". Linda had said he had mistaken her for someone else. Well it was partly true she was not for him? Some weeks later she had seen Cyd out with some posh girl in a floral dress, They had made fun of her. Laughing before walking off.

Linda did not go back to the youth club, after the experience with Cyd. It was not her scene any more. Instead she had got a job in Woolworths Store in town. Feeling more grown up. Experimenting with make up and eye shadows to being out the colour in her hazel eyes. Her hair now hung glossy in a neat bob. Linda had become more confident and alert talking to others.

It was through work that she had met Dave a delivery driver in his twenties who looked like David Essex the pop star. Dave played in a band evenings and Linda went along to watch the band play at local venues. When the band had split up for numerous reasons, some years later Dave and Linda had stayed together. Renting a small cottage near Kingstone on Thames Surrey.

Linda smiled touching her tummy. Life felt good for her and Dave. She had heard that Viv had divorced serveral times. Some one else had commited sucide. "What are you thinking about"? Asked Dave. Oh, about us, remarked Linda. The scan at the hospital was complete soon they would be a three some with a baby girl , Anne Marie.

"Happt Valentines Day, Dave" Linda said smiling knowing that all was well. Once Anne Marie was born a bundle of pink flesh at eight pounds and one ounce. A true Valentines gift. Their daughter gurggled as the champayne corks popped. Linda's eyes shoe bright their baby was trying to talk . She could not be happier the way her life had been blessed.

Sometimes one had to make sacrifices and struggle to achieve goals or was it fate how her life had worked out. Linda qas tired her eyes closed Dave gave her an hug . While Anne Marie snuggled in her mothers arms wrapped in a white shawl. That she would be christioned in.

Some months later Anne Marie was christioned, in the small chapel. As the bells rang out clear on a bright Summers day. Not a cloud in the sky. The lord god had done them proud. Dave could not stop talking about his daughter to his work mates. Recently they had decided to buy the cottage rather than rent. Linda had become a full time mother to Anne Marie. If a monster like Cyd entered Anne Maries life she would put a steak through his heart. Hoping that Anne Marie would be lucky in life.

She had not told Dave about Cyd it was an experience she did not like to think about. Although it still stayed some where lodged in her brain. It just made her think how lucky she had been, finding Dave, not wanting him to think she had been with someone like Cyd who probably had an high opinion of himself. Goodness knows why? Some poor woman had probably been bullied by him. Had she been set up by others to be with Cyd all those years ago? It did not bare thinking about.

February 09, 2024 22:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.