0 comments

American Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

  Huffing and puffing, Adam takes a quick glance at himself on the reflecting glass door, making a weird face at his haggard and exhausted status, he combs back his thick mane of hair with the help of his sweaty hands in an attempt of looking a little more presentable, and pushes open the cafè. Adam is greeted with the sweet and bitter goodies aroma, causing his nostrils and hungry empty stomach to awaken and distract him from his actual purpose. As he tries to make his way through the sea of grumpy, grumbling customers demanding for their bloody morning coffee to survive the morning, Adam with an eye of an eagle spots a slender hand, waving at him eagerly. And with a toothy grin he skips his way to his most beloved other; forgetting all his exhaustion and hunger. 

Successfully reaching, he dives in, to kiss the crown of his fiancé's head. Debra, smiling at his little adorable,heartfelt gesture says, " well, well someone looks extra jolly and merry today!. Somethin good happen?!."

"Is it that obvious!",rolling her eyes, Debra offers him a playful smile before saying,

" umm..yea darling, you're practically shimmering and drowning in the sweetness of your.... sweat."

" ooh", with a gleeful smile Adam asks her "so... do you wanna know!"

"Of course, (leans forward)tell meh! I'm all ears!!."

Adam heaves a deep sigh, sending few strands to the side says,

"You're not gonna believe this!,...but I have found a new hobby!!."

Hearing those familiar words once again, Debra raises a brow while sipping on her dark espresso. Unsure of what to say, Debra coughs few times ;clears her throat, then finally says trying not sound insensitive, "ohh....umm, congrats!..but what about your previous hobby?."

"Ohh,umm..well..you know, I got sick of it..you know the usual,"

"I taught you decided to stick with tennis,at least till the end of this month.."

"Umm..yea I know, but I just got bored of it, but I assure you this time!; this time for reals!, this is the one!."

"And that is....,(eyes him up and down) I see it has something to do with you sweating."

"You got it!, I've started to cycle."

"Ohh!, good for you!..but hey can you promise me something."

"Anything for you!."

Debra gives him an eye; sighs then says,"I want you to promise me that you're gonna stick to this one for a long time, at least till the end of this month...can you do that for me! hmm?."

" yea.. I will try to--,"

"Promise?!"

"Yea,yea"

"Mm,good good, this is for your sake darling"

"Yea..."


And so Adam beings his journey of cycling passionately everyday, by the crack of the dawn,the man jolts up from his bed and rides his bike,soaring with the wind,flying with the early birds, believing this is it, this is what he's been missing all this time. Adam with a smile stretching to the ends of his jaw screams wholeheartedly, "THIS IS IT!!, THIS IS THE PLEASURE I'VE BEEN SEEKING FOR!!. I PRAY TO HEAVENS TO LET ME SETTLE WITH THIS BLISSFUL LEISURE!!."


As two weeks fleet by like nothing, Adam once again finds himself panting as he rushes towards the familiar building. Pushing open the the translucent doors, his orbs examine for a certain brunette, and indeed he finds her waving at him with the same warm and gentle smile. Hugging her dearly, he sits next to her still recovering from the exhausting run.

Debra scanning him from top to bottom shakes her head in a teasing matter and comments, 

"Will we ever meet,(reaches to fix his sticky hair) without having you, look like you've just returned from a war,hmmm."

"Ohh, umm sorry I was so engrossed wi--", 

" yea I know, you were busy chit-chatting with the birds and squirrels while cycling through the beautiful mountains", declares Debra while swaying her arms exaggeratingly.

" actually I..", Debra cuts him off again and continues, 

"No no, it's fine..I don't mind it at all. As long as you're happy, I'm good too, and also look at those muscles, (pinches his thighs), daaamn!! I gotta thank your new found hobby for encouraging you to muscle up!!."

Adam biting the insides of his mouth mumbles,

"Debra..actually I started exercising..like for reals."

"YOU WHAT!", Debra gasps in shock " You started exercising!!. Wow I'm so proud of you darling!!. But how do you manage to workout and cycle, isn't that tiring for your body."

"Well the thing is..I stopped cycling since last week, 'you--', wait let me finish...my legs weren't used to the sudden intense workout, so I took break from cycling and started to tone my legs and maybe my whole body."

Breathing a sigh of relief Debra says" ah thank goodness!!, I taught you got bored of it, gracious it hasn't been that long yet!."

"Yea...,you're right."

'Gosh,should I just tell her that I find exercising more fun now, ughhh she will definitely get mad at me for changing my hobby again. Ahh screw it I'm gonna tell her later.'


And so life goes on,till one fine day Debra plans to go on a trip with her partner,she walks in her man's well kept studio only to find him missing, "strange he is always lazing around at this time of the day", as she takes her phone out to give him a call, Debra feels arms circling around her slender body, and for a good ten seconds she remains still melting into his warm and adhesive embrace,before realizing something." FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!, CAN YOU FOR ONCE NOT SWEAT AND SMELL, YOU SMELLY FISH BAG!!"

"Hehe,sorry my bad..so..what brings you here..and is that your bike on the back of the car?."

"Tch that was a surprise."

"A surprise....?"

"Yea..I was thinking that maybe we could on cycling date.."

'Ohhh shiit,I'm dead meat'

"Umm..about that I was meaning to tell you that I.....ummm."

Stutters Adam feeling in wrong for not telling her.

"I...well...youuu...see"

"Yesss..you what?"

"I sold my bike..."

"......."

"What...why...when?"

"Three days ago...,(pushes back his hair aggressively)umm.... I grew tired of it; had no use of it, so I sold it and bought some boxing equipment to practice at home."

Overwhelmed with the new information, Debra looks at him shocked, with hints of disappointment. She Ruffles her brown threads of silk as she walks back and forth not knowing what to say. After calming down she takes a seat beside the guilty puppy pouting and drowning with guilt. She eyes him and says while patting his clammy yet fluffy mane " why didn't you tell me,did you think that I would get mad, I said it for your sake. I just wanted to help you out, not force you into it."

" mmm..I'm sorry.."

"Don't be..I guess I will just have to sell mine as well!."

"No don't!!!, Its alright I'm gonna borrow a bike from a friend, we can still go don't worry!!!."

"Mmmmm Okaay!! Whatever you say...but boxing really...never taught I would hear those words coming out from you, guess my man is full of surprises."

"Hhhhh...yea"

"When did you start,I can't believe you hid it from me!"

"Sorry..remember last month I told you I got into bodybuilding and all ' yea' mm..that's when it caught my interest."

"Ohhh...I see..soo you think this one is your thing, like did you finally find your dream hobby?."

"Hmmm,I think I'm almost there.."

And with that being said. Debra suddenly slides on her knees and clunches both of her hands tightly against each other and prays,

"Then please!, let it be the one, please please!."

Adam giggling at her silly actions proceeds to copy her and says, 

"YES!!, PLEASE LET IT BE THE ONE FOR ME!!."

The merry couple then burst into fits of laughter and joy enjoying each other's company.


Following days, Things were going smoothly, to the point Adam hundred percent sure that he had found his long lost hobby (boxing), until the dreadful day has come. Just as he got off his work, the said man walks down the streets a little dazed and absent minded like a drunk man; which he is not, and all of a sudden, all of his senses come to life. His eyes glinting with curiosity; nostrils opening from the delightful alluring smell, hands trembling with excitement, and legs leading to the source of the bewitching magnificent aroma that engulfed him whole.

Adam isn't sure why was his stomach growling so much, especially when he had his meal not long ago. Nonetheless, he finds himself walking, more like gliding towards the source of the heavenly smell.

He finds himself standing in front of a simple and small restaurant that felt more like a home, hesitantly he pulls the door which causes an ugly screech from the hinges of the chapped wooden door.

As he steps in, a lady around her early forties approaches him and greets him with a very wide smile and cheerful tone that reminds him of his mother.

"Well well, good evening young man!!, what can I get for you?!."

"Umm...good evening to you too ma'am..umm...I don't know, what do you have to offer?."

"Hmm, this place is known as the best selling homey pizza!!."

"Uhh...pizza..umm I think I'm too full to order one."

"Don worry, sonny!!, you can have a slice. Trust me you're gonna beg for more!!." Says the lady while laughing, a little too loud for the man's tired ears.

"Well then, (rubbing his nape awkwardly) I would like to order a slice please..."

"Okey dockey!!." And with that the lady runs off to the kitchen. And after a while she retuns with the promised slice of pizza.

Adam once again feels himself shake-up from the glorious scent; failing to notice that he is drooling. The lady looks at him devilishly and says I'm warning ya, you're gonna go home with at least two boxes, anyways enjoy!!."

And without any hesitation Adam bites onto the tasty piece of triangle and swallows it within seconds. Eyes wide open, he snaps his head towards the lady, who's standing there holding onto two boxes with a very smug and victorious grin.

"Llladdy..howww..what did you put in there..what I meannn to say is how is it soo different and tasty!!"

"Hmmm I told ya, you will beg for more!!."

"Yes..I..I..I...haah..can I please have some more."

"SURE SWEETIE, ALL YOURS!",says the lady while handing him the boxes of the yummy goodies.


Handing her the cash,the man fidgets and shifts from foot to foot, which of course goes noticed by the lady. So she leans in with a smirk, "boy, I can tell you have something in mind, so spill the beans."

"Umm..it's nothing really..uhhh..( he thinks for a moment then shakes his head again) ohhh..it's nothing..thanks for your service!"

"Are you sure you don want to spill it out, cause I sure can, for ya!!."

Adam looks at her,then at his sweaty palms turning into shades of red,with a whisper like mumble he asks her," can...you...perhaps teach me how to cook it.."

He glances at her hoping she wouldn't lose her shit over the crazy request, however; he finds himself being smacked softly at the back, with a heartwarming laugh the lady says "Atta boy!!, you finally said it!!,you requested it so don go ditching on me later on, got it?!"

"Yes ma'am!!!." 

"That's the spirit!!."

And with that Adam sighs and thinks to himself,

'Well then, farewell my dearest puching bag.'


And so his journey of cooking began. Everyday he will try to learn something new, then try to cook it . Failure after failure but, that doesn't stop his igniting passion to learn and succeed. Every week he learns a new dish and taste tests with his friends, whom act as his judges, then proceeds to learn from his master chef. That is how he spends his days, discovering the variety and art of cooking.

With the month coming to an end, Adam has been planning to surprise his significant other with his newly gained knowledge and experience.

Cleaning his already freakishly sparkling studio, Adam calls Debra to come over, then runs over to his open kitchen and begins to create his masterpiece. What he doesn't know is that Debra planned to come earlier to surprise the birthday man, who had completely forgotten about it.


Immersed in creating the menu of the night, Adam fails to notice the feather like steps of his beloved fiance. Sneaking upon him she startles the poor man with a loud 'BOOOOO!!', which causes him to yelp in shock and throw the dough on her which then causes her to yelp in surprise and fall with a loud 'thud'.

Both baffled at the sudden outburst sit there until Debra gasps and gets hold of the dough placed on her like a hat and says

"Wha...ohh..haah..is this ddddddough....is that flour ( wipes Adam's face).... I dun get it.... are you....by any chance... chance... COOKING?!!!."

"Well...ummm..yea,' guess there is no going back ' behold my newly discovered hobby Debbie!!."

" wait..what....seriously, you learned how to cook!!..when?!."

Then Adam explains to her, his profound interest in the cutlery world. And all she can do is nod absorbing in the overwhelming news.

After a long conversation,both of them start to Clean the chaotic mess they've created, talking about everything that revolves around the milky way. Then Debra remembering her actual goal tonight screams frustratingly, 

"HEYYY!!....YOUUUU..TODAY IS YOUR BIRTHDAYYYYY, I'M THE ONE WHO'S SUPPOSED TO TREAAT YOU!!."

"Uhhh....right...it is....shoot...totally slipped out of my mind...,well you dun have to worry about that. I'm just glad you showed up, now both of us can whip something real quick since it's getting late an all...so why don't you lend me a hand, an we're both even with this."

Still fuming with embarrassment, she pouts but agrees.

And so both of them stand side by side before the high marble counter and initiate the process of cooking.

Debra being the curious cat she is asks" so are you finally settling with this hobby?."

"Hmm, for now maybe, but who knows, tomorrow I might wake up wanting to fly a plane or make one!." Says Adam laughing at his restless hyper self.

"Knowing you, you might actually do it....hhhhh."

"Yea....,but aren't you bothered by the constant change of heart I get?."

"Umm..not really; not anymore, as long as it doesn't cause you any harm mentally and physically. I'm totally fine with you doing anything. I will always look forward to your drastic surprises, like this for instance (points at him peeling the carrots). Never saw this one coming!!. The only thing I hope for in the future; after getting married, you don't grow sick of me, that will be a problem to my frail little heart."

"Never!!!!, I can have a change of heart regarding anything in life, but you!, I will never stop having butterflies!."

"How cheesy and sweet of you!!, where did you learn those lines from?, is it Eddie?!"

"You got it, spot on!!."

And the night goes on with them making the messed up kitchen a little messier, both acknowledging and accepting that there is no fault in having multiple hobbies or a restricted one. One can always explore, discover and evolve. One can always have a change of heart regarding the interests in life. However, what matters most is the things that cannot be replaced, such as love, trust, honesty and, loyalty.


January 25, 2021 07:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.