17 comments

Creative Nonfiction Funny Drama

When Falls the the Night

It was a dark and foggy night. Well, the night had started normal enough. The early fall day had pleasant temperatures but as the day turned into night the temperatures fell rapidly so as the earth cooled mist started rising and fog rolled in. The thick, soupy kind of fog. When it falls it makes the world silent and so white it is dark. Starting in the low areas and gradually filling in everywhere cutting visibility to almost nil. The nine pm drive to the energy plant turned sketchy with all the twists, turns and hills and dells along the twenty-four mile route. Still I managed to make it to work on time.

But barely in time. A nod to the guy stuck in the guard shack at the entrance to the parking lot. He could make out my sticker on the windshield and smiled back as he waved me through. Hurry to find a parking place in the back lot reserved for my kind. A mad rush to the entry building throwing all my hand-held items on the x-ray belt and stepping through the explosive detector. Luckily, I had not filled my gas tank on the way in so didn't set off the alarm saving valuable moments not having to be hand searched. Quickly pick up my badge at the bullet-proof glass enclosed cage. Slip the pass card attached to the badge into the door to unlock it and run up the stairs. I had dressed in my uniform at home so didn't need to do anything but shove my purse and lunch into my locker and get to the line to pick up my gun. In time to be the last one in line. Thank the Sergeant on duty there and check the roster to see my position for the night.

I could have been assigned in the entry building, or guardhouse, overseeing the scanning procedures and badge collecting there; or inside the multi-storied plant making sure the security routes were well covered; or the outdoor routes in charge of the Security Officers in vehicles; or Central Alarm System or Secondary Alarm System. I pulled SAS. The one watching all the closed circuit TV cameras. All twenty-six of them staring out at the electrified fields between the double security fences surrounding the plant grounds. All night long.

This tight little room was only a walk downstairs not out to four stories up in the plant where CAS was located. I had enough rushing around. Now it was going to be a matter of keeping my eyes open, all night long. The two fellow officers I relieved were quite happy to see me. Always good to be appreciated. They were ready to get out of there. My co-worker for the night was already taking the favored position in front of the microphone used to make dispatches to any tripped alarm. Good ploy to keep awake.

Our two unarmed Watch-people assigned the duty of helping us watch the cameras were crowding in, too. But, as suspected, the two leaving Sergeants pointed out they already had to send the Watch-people out to, well, watch the E-Fields up close and personable because as one could clearly see no one could clearly see anything through the cameras. The fog obliterated any visibility. Cameras were whited out. Those two would have to bundle-up in their rain gear and go outside to relieve the other two who were walking around the two-mile perimeter in opposing directions “watching” for any nefarious activity within the protected area. Probably watching with their heads bowed and covered harboring against the unfavorable weather conditions. At least there were two armed S.O.s still making the rounds in vehicles, too. Driving SUVs two-miles-per-hour around and around. We would be safe from all raccoons and possums all night long.

Soon it was down to only the two of us. In a darkened room. Staring at whited-out cameras. All twenty-six of them. All night long. Never enough to talk about.

I was not a coffee drinker - until I took this job. On night shift. All night long I now drank coffee and requested frequent breaks. My partner Sergeant did likewise. Did I mention there's never enough to talk about?

“Nice weather we are having.”

“A little foggy, don't you think?”

“How was your day?”

“I slept it away.”

“What do you want to be when you grow up?”

“Away from here.”

He's such a fun guy.

Maybe the Lieutenants will put on their Ninja suits, that is all black attire, and pretend Qaddafi (this was happening in the early nineties, okay?) has broken through the incredibly strong E-Field barriers and all the S.O.'s have to chase terrorists through the plant with their thumb and pointer-finger “guns” drawn to keep infidels from getting to sensitive areas where the reactors are re-acting. That is always good for some alarms going off. But what self-respecting terrorist wants to get out in such foggy weather when no one could see him to give him proper credit? Don't expect that to happen. Will have to be content to drudge through another boring night. All night long.

I often wondered why the cameras only pointed at the E-Fields. Shouldn't a security force be looking out beyond the fence line also to see what may be approaching. The grounds of the plant were lit up so brightly like a city unto itself when night falls but someone on the inside couldn't see anything beyond the fences. Imagine the perfect target this facility made from the sky? But no one ever seemed to think an attack may come from above (like 9/11). Anyone wanting to wreak havoc would definitely choose to break through the double fences or use number one E-Field with the gate where all entering vehicles were searched.

At least I finally graduated from being a Watch Person or a Security Officer to being a Sergeant with so many more privileges and responsibilities. My job was never to figure why security seemed too lax but only to do as the manual instructed. Dispatch officers to answer alarms. Watch the cameras. Cameras that became totally useless in any adverse weather conditions such as fog, rain, snow, or wind. Even bright sunshine if directed straight at a camera would send the walkers out. But always expect the worst when falls the night.

October 12, 2023 23:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Michelle Oliver
14:16 Oct 13, 2023

What a job. Creative non fiction, I see. A well told story with an engaging voice. I like the little asides that drew us into the narrative pov.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:38 Oct 13, 2023

Gave some of the best years of my life to that job while trying to balance four teens singlehandedly😆. Thanks for liking and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
22:42 Apr 28, 2024

You've brought to life the atmosphere of that night shift at the energy plant. The way you describe the fog rolling in and the routine tasks of the job, it's like I can picture myself there with you. And your thoughts about security vulnerabilities and the limitations of the camera system make total sense. Your storytelling captures the mix of tension and boredom that comes with working the night shift in such a high-security setting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
17:00 Nov 15, 2023

Hey Mary! I love a good creative non fiction. Jobs can define so much of us-routine, most especially. I loved the way this story incorporated a bit of humor as well-true comrades in arms. Nice work!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:24 Nov 15, 2023

Don't know how I missed this one. I was horrified to find I'd read and commented on some of your stories and forgotten to 'like' them. Silly me. Rectified a couple of those. Read this one because I couldn't see your latest one . . .yet? You have been a versatile person in your life. Necessity breeds invention and versatility. Engagingly told.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:12 Nov 15, 2023

Thanks for liking all of them. I do that, too, comment but forget to punch like. My latest was 'the battle rages on' which I did not enter into contest because I wasn't inspired enough to write my own material. It won't be under the stories in contest but should still be under your activity feed under stories on your profile. I think that shows everyone you follow. I have gotten some likes so it is somewhere.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
01:22 Oct 19, 2023

Great story, Mary! Looks like you have a lot more stories about this time in you. Amazing how fast that coffee habit takes hold! The voice of the narrator here is really engaging. I thought this line was really funny: "We would be safe from all raccoons and possums all night long." You got me thinking with your chosen observations. How security fails b/c of the weather, and how different security systems really show what we are afraid of, and not what we should be afraid of. You probably have a lot of great insights and anecdotes from those ...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:37 Oct 19, 2023

I really was concerned our 'security' measures didn't measure up to the potential severity of threats such a facility could invite to anyone wanting to cause big trouble.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
03:45 Oct 17, 2023

Thanks for writing and sharing. Great descriptions. The joys of adverse weather conditions covered the horrors of the night shift and the 26 cameras.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:17 Oct 17, 2023

Thanks for liking and the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:59 Oct 14, 2023

Another highly engaging and fascinating chapter from the Book of Mary! You have such great tales to tell! Thank you for sharing this. Love the sarky 'it was in the 90s, ok" made me lol Very good!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:02 Oct 14, 2023

Glad it amused you. Wasn't much joy in the job. But it paid the bills.

Reply

20:08 Oct 14, 2023

Could probably say that about a lot of jobs. Currently feel exactly that. Raising 4 teens alone ( well 3 and a 20 year old) so that is where I am at . trying to pay the bills!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
19:37 Oct 14, 2023

You’ve had some interesting jobs, Mary! A prison on a night so foggy, the guards can’t see, sounds like an idea for a new prompt! (:

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:00 Oct 14, 2023

This was guard duty at a nuclear energy plant. Some of the procedures made no sense to me. Thanks for reading and liking. Can't say I liked the job very much. But is was a blessing for me at that time of my life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
18:23 Oct 14, 2023

Nice slice of life look at an undervalued job. The guards at my old company were usually so friendly and fun to chat with, except for one guy who thought he was Barney Fife in a cloud of cannabis. He actually scolded me for an entire hallway for forgetting my key card one morning. Great piece!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:31 Oct 14, 2023

Thanks. Was surprised how much I had forgotten the terminology for things on the job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.