24 comments

Sad Fiction Contemporary

It was an envelope, small and pastel blue; sealed and then folded up as if it wanted to disappear or the sender had meant it to. Without name, address, or stamp it was like a summer’s sky on a cloudless day; it should have heralded opportunities, yet Simon felt only trepidation, turning the square over and over in his hands. His stomach had lurched when he’d opened the box this morning, sent as promised by the care home, and the letter had all but jumped out at him; flashes of the frightening Jack-in-a-box toy he’d tried to break when just a lad, springing unbeckoned to mind. 


Now surprise and shock had subsided, leaving his emotions to eddy, ever ready to surge once more: cataracts after the calm. He thought the letter was for him; perhaps deep down, in the bedrock of his bones, he knew it. Yes, there was no inscription bearing the name, Simon Schwarz; still, this missive was for him- and he knew just who’d written it. 


He had never sent the letter. He had never meant it to be sent. Hadn’t even bothered to write his name! On and on; the internal monologue played: a wasp’s drone. His fingers twitched, an uncontrollable spasm, with longing to rip up the bloody thing: the letter his father hadn’t had the guts, emotion or common decency to send. Why should he read his last words now? The boat had long departed to the Underworld; Charon ferrying him across those waters flowing on their immutable course, and surely his father was in the Underworld by now. What would reading his final words bring? What could he learn that would make sense of the last decades? And anyway, he knew the answer already: silence plus absence equals a void; a father-shaped hole in his otherwise complete world.


Flinging the envelope onto the coffee table, where it settled tentatively atop his pile of sketches, he crossed to his phone and called up his sister’s number. For a moment he considered a voice note before deciding that now was perhaps the time to call. Caroline picked up almost immediately. 


“Simon. What’s up? You never call.”

He ignored the veiled dig.

“It’s arrived: Dad’s box. You know the one they promised to send when I was last in.”

Perhaps he’d got her at a bad time as her uptake was slow.

“Box?”

“With his possessions in.”

Confused silence. 

“From the care home. The belongings he had in his room with him- I guess…” 


He trailed off, words stifled by an image; the only time he'd seen his dad since leaving home was two weeks ago: propped in a plastic chair; the TV blaring white noise in Sunny Day’s darkened, communal lounge.  


“Oh God, yes.” Caroline said, recollection flooding her voice with relief. “I’m sorry Simon. The drugs have me in limbo land most of the time- bloody pills- but in a week I’m free of them. Then I’ve only got sleep deprivation to deal with.” The laugh of the resigned. 


He made commiserating noises; remembering suddenly her infection- last thing she needed after giving birth, but it had rather left him alone to cope with their father in his final days, although he had managed to honour the bonds of filial loyalty with just the one visit. Caroline had been wracked with guilt; he’d cursed the bacteria and called up the care home: the son, hardly prodigal, was due a return.


“Anyway. It’s with me here, now.” He gave the box a kick with his toe, surprised at the leap of pain as he made contact. What did he keep in his room? Bricks and concrete blocks? Hard things- unsurprising. “So, can you come over and take it?”


Caroline sighed slowly, incomprehension almost audible, like he’d asked her to run a marathon while breastfeeding and changing a nappy. 


“Well, I’ve just got her off. I might have half an hour max before the next feed.”

“Fine. Great. See you shortly.” 


He tapped the end-call button and flung the phone on top of the pastel blue envelope. In the silence, his toe throbbed and the square of blue pulsated, half out of view; suddenly, he realised that he hadn’t even said goodbye.  


With a sigh to rival his sister’s he stooped, lifting up the box’s top. The two flaps called to mind a scarecrow’s arms, half heartedly trying to scare. Somehow, the sight made him laugh and he felt his apprehension not take flight but peck, feigning disinterest, at what was cast his way. 


He wished for a stiff drink to steady his hands, but he’d promised Caroline he’d go easy on the liquor after he’d woken up after London Fashion Week with headlines on his new collection and a self-inflicted black eye, inked in even more attention- grabbing colours than his latest gowns. Yes, the hacks had had a field day: dresses with their trademark palette of blacks, purples and blues; and here was Schwarz, with his shiner. That was the story one tabloid had run on their front page; they’d photographed him prone on the pavement, moments before Caroline had scraped him off the floor, pulling him into his flat. Good old Caroline. It had been the day after the doomsday visit to the care home, and she’d tucked him into bed without even a word of reproof even though she was reeling from the drugs and probably felt, only days after giving birth, that she was the one deserving of a lie down. 


He returned his attention to the innocent looking box. Focusing his eyes on the cardboard’s print (Bandages and gauze- in other circumstances inspiration for a new collection perhaps) his hands blindly grasped the squishy items: a black cat; a dog, perhaps to chase it; and a hamster, which made him jump when it squeaked. Toys. Hard to believe his father had wanted them given he’d thrown all of Simon’s cuddly comforters into refuse bags and taken them to the charity shop before his son had barely started school. Perhaps they were gifts from Caroline; it was hard to think of another explanation.


Delving deeper into the box, his fingers grabbed a solid item with the weight and dimension of a book. Lifting it out, the lurid ‘70s colours of the cover grabbed his eye, so it was a moment until he realised what the item was: a photo album; even worse- a family one. Embossed on the front were the family names: Lorna, Adrian, Caroline and Simon Schwarz. He’d never seen this album before; if asked if such a thing existed, he would have said highly unlikely, given his father had burnt or thrown most things when their mother had died over a decade ago. But, here was a family album, heavy in his hands. 


Opening it the cover creaked like an arthritic joint, and Simon gasped in pain. Staring from the first page was the ghost of his mother’s face, a phantom caught in the brown pixels, solidifying in the small image- losing wrinkles and liver spots- now smooth and unblemished, but with the same wide smile he remembered. Behind her, with a supportive hand on her shoulder, his father; the tight line of the mouth softened - by what? Just youth, or could it be a touch of pride as his wife’s belly bulged with their baby: the long-awaited boy. 


Hardly breathing, he turned the page. A baby in a christening robe, white folds of fabric trailing nearly to the floor. The gown piqued his interest with its elaborate lacework and the matching bonnet excited him to such a degree he nearly reached for his ever-ready sketchbook, until his eyes focused on what was actually important: his face, small features mirroring the larger ones looming in disbelief from above the page. 


At that moment, Caroline burst in like a peal of thunder. Ever since she had become a mother a few weeks ago, she had been toting around infant carriers, change bags and other baby paraphernalia, cacophony rumbling in her wake. 


“Don’t get up,” she instructed him, throwing down an overflowing bag which promptly spilled a milk bottle, rattle, muslin square, packet of baby wipes and her telephone onto the floor. 

“I’ve left Lucy asleep while Max does home office; I’ve probably got twenty minutes before she’s due her next feed.” She gave him a playful push to move along when she saw him surveying all her mess. “It was easier just to bring it all with me than find a bag for just my wallet and phone.” 

She pointed to the cardboard carton, “so, this is Pandora’s Box,” before flopping down onto the sofa next to him. “Man, is it good just to sit!”


“Father or mother’s hand?” He asked, shifting the album so it rested on both their laps, pointing to the writing he found hard to decipher. 

“Dad’s of course,” she said, only glancing at the album, no discernible waves of surprise or panic washing over her. “Oh, I could just shut my eyes for forty winks; you fancy going through all of it without me?” She yawned the yawn of major sleep deprivation. 

“Well I can, but aren’t you even the tiniest bit interested in this?” He jabbed his finger at the photo of his baby self, nearly lost in the trimmings of ornate Victoriana.

“Not really,” she managed through a second yawn, “I think I know most of them off by heart; Dad’s favourite pastime was showing them to me at every visit.”

Simon swallowed, he felt like he was choking on incredulity. He might have only visited once, but no album had been produced for him.

“Right. So this would be my first birthday?” 

He pointed to the photo on the next page; a diminutive Simon in little shorts, bouncing curls already at his shoulders, reaching up to grasp soap bubbles as a miniature Caroline- still a head taller than him- stood before a banner proclaiming “Happy Birthday,” blowing the ghostly orbs from a small dish.


“You always loved bubbles,” she murmured through shut eyes, “shame you didn’t stick to soap ones, you’d save your PR a fortune at all your snazzy events.”


He ignored the jibe and turned the page, his heart jolting when he saw the photo. It was his second birthday; he didn’t need any inscription or commentary from Caroline to tell him that. All the fun and joy of the last image was gone; now he was sitting rigidly before a birthday cake, shaped like a football. With puffy eyes, his face was framed by a severe haircut: short back and sides. He didn’t remember the moments caught by the camera, or the time after. Perhaps they had eaten the cake, his mother’s mouth softening from the hard line preserved in the photo; perhaps his father’s smirk of triumph had slinked into the corner, where it belonged.


No, those memories were lost to time; what remained, his first memory in fact, was the preceding hour. His mum’s cries: there was no need to shear the child. His father’s determined tone: no son of his was going out to play with the long curls of a girl upon his head. The clash of blades as he took the kitchen scissors out of the knife drawer; the ripping of newspaper, placed upon the floor with the instruction to stand upon it, and the swish swish of his hair falling from about his face, little lost waves. How light he had felt afterwards, like a soap bubble about to rise up, only inside he had popped already. 


“Take the clippings and put them in the bin.” His father had instructed him, before tossing the scissors into the drawer and departing, job done. 


Next to him, Caroline snored quietly, then enthusiastically, oblivious to the tumult taking place right next to her. Swiftly he turned the page and saw the years had leapfrogged forward. A picture of him with his mother, a pattern for her dress on the floor. He had sewing tape draped over his shoulders, a looping necklace, and pins in his mouth; the very same scissors in his hand, wielded by his father just pages before. He still remembered how patiently he had cut along the dashed lines under his mother’s supervision; the muttered exclamations when his father had returned from work: how curly locks should mend the socks. The sarcasm had sliced through the air, swift and sure as the blades in his hands. 


He flipped the pages more quickly, desperate to end the battery. There was his sister, perhaps 17, modelling his GCSE art project, the first haute couture dress he’d made. He’d run it up on his mother’s sewing machine, tacked it with her pins and finished it with her buttons. In the photo’s background, his mother was a blur, tidying away the scraps of fabric; his father was nowhere to be seen. 


The last photo showed a jump in time: two years later, an image of the project that had won him his place at Fashion School; Caroline once more- a Uni. student now- modelling the newspaper dress he had pasted together, face unreadable, unlike the headlines splashed across her body. He remembered the day after the shutter had clicked; it was the day he’d left home, packing boxes much like the one at his feet, never to return again. Mum had come to visit him at his digs; later, even when she was sick, she’d come to his flat. On the opening shows, she’d accompany Caroline, both clapping enthusiastically in the front row, ignoring the glitterati’s sneers of disdain. 


If this was his life’s story, it seemed a mighty sorry one, compared to the glamorous public narrative: the successful designer, snapped with scissors in hand, standing before his collections of evening gowns. No, this woeful tale was best tipped back into the box’s darkness, he thought, preparing to do just that. Only as he raised the album, yellowed papers rained to the floor; clippings that had never been affixed, rather furtively tucked inside the back cover. Staring up at him from the carpet, his notable firsts, marked as such in his father’s hand, black felt tip pen announcing the content of each article: Simon’s first London runway show; Simon’s Chanel interview, Simon’s first double page spread, Vogue. The world he thought he knew lurched suddenly sideways and he dropped to his hands and knees.


When the phone exploded to life on the coffee table, he felt like it was his shuddering heart that had caused it. Gasping, he knocked his sketchbooks to the floor, scrambling to answer it. Max, his sister’s husband, was calling to let them know Lucy was awake; he’d tried on Caroline's phone but there’d been no answer. Simon looked at it vibrating- a missed call- on the floor. Had it been ringing all this time? But Max was fine, happy to look after the baby; he had already fixed a bottle and Caroline could take her time.


He put down the phone and picked up the forgotten blue envelope, just as Caroline stirred.


“Boy was that good; your catwalks are fun but give me a catnap any day!”


Slowly he heaved himself onto the sofa, gesturing to the photo album next to him. 


“Is it ok if I keep it a bit longer?”


“Sure. Shall I take these toys for Lucy? Or might they feature in your next collection: upcycled designer handbags perhaps?”


It was a lighthearted tease, but there was something in her brother’s face, the numb set of his normally elastic mouth, that made her toss the toys in the box and rub his arm. 


“Hey, you’ve found the envelope. I remember seeing it at Sunny Days, propped on Dad’s bedside table; once I even found him asleep, still holding on tight. I think that’s why he folded it so small: to fit into his hand.”


“Is it meant for me, do you think?”


“Yes,” she said gently, looping her arm about him. “I asked him once for the recipient’s name; did he want me to address it, deliver it even? But he said no. He’d forgotten so much by then,” she looked sadly at the little envelope, “somedays he didn’t even recognise me, but that day he knew what he wanted to say: that it was for you, his son Simon, and that when the time came, you’d know.” 


Slowly he peeled open the envelope, the old glue giving easily. Inside were not the last words either of them had been expecting, but the message was still clear. There was a curl, soft like a newborn chick’s fluff, luminescent in his palm. Also a photo, faded from exposure to light, as if it had been pored over many times. An image of a man kissing the forehead of his babe in arms. On the back, in his father’s solid hand: Simon, aged one week. In spidery letters, which looked like they wanted to scuttle away in fear, but remained, nevertheless. Me, aged 41.


This photo had never made it into the official history of the family album but his father had treasured it his entire life; a secret he could only impart from the silence of the grave. Holding the photograph in one hand and the wisp of his hair in the other, Simon received the message he had been wanting his whole life: there had been love, just hidden: a silent hoard. 


He gathered up the clippings: the curl of his hair, newspaper articles and the loose photo, sweeping them to his chest; he’d spent all his adult life telling a story in the weft and weave of fabric; here was the start of a whole new collection. 


Caroline put her arm around him, drawing him in.


“You always were his beloved curly locks; he just never knew how to tell you.”


He rested his head on Caroline’s shoulders, “at least now I finally know.”


August 24, 2023 19:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

AnneMarie Miles
19:19 Sep 01, 2023

Sister scribbler, how lovely it is to read your words again! I'll never tire of your beautiful inscriptions and the investments you take in the details of your stories. It is masterful! Im sure I've said it before, but it's worth saying again. I particularly love how poignancy is never lost in even the simplest presentations, such as this revelation of fatherly love. A question Simon must've asked himself his whole life, and now stumbled across his answer, even if a little too late. This is a beautiful reminder to tell our loved ones how we ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:40 Sep 01, 2023

Sister Scribbler!!!!! I have been waiting for this day; can't say how happy I am to see your message my dear. I have been on, off the old Reedsy train myself the last few months, but everytime I've climbed aboard I've been hoping you might be jumping back on the bandwagon too. As you see, I am still churning out the sad and poignants! But I don't think there's been a "storm" one since you were last on ,-) So, pleased to see you back, and with another story! I will head over to read it in a few days as I have just started a story for a differ...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:39 Sep 02, 2023

Wishing you the best of luck on your latest scribblings and contest submissions, my friend (though you hardly need it with your talent)! I look forward to hearing how it goes and reading your next Reedsy story. Do I sense a storm a-brewing...?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:11 Sep 01, 2023

Beautifully written and wistful tale. If only the father could have overcome his reserve and told his son how much he meant to him. A heartfelt story that feel like a gift being unwrapped.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
04:07 Aug 31, 2023

Great writing as always, and this story shows how deep the hurt can be, left by a cut (pun intended) never healed between father and son. Pictures have a way of teleporting us back in time to remembrances deep and longing. Of many lines, I liked these: 'it was like a summer’s sky on a cloudless day; it should have heralded opportunities,' 'The world he thought he knew lurched suddenly sideways and he dropped to his hands and knees.'

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:15 Sep 01, 2023

Thanks so much Marty. Yes, I like that teleportation idea a lot. I will try to head over to one of yours soon. It's a bit busy for me as a teacher at the moment: school start is upon us!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:41 Aug 30, 2023

Lots going on in this one! What most stood out to me in this piece was the sister's (non) reaction to the album. A bombshell for Simon is everyday and obvious for Caroline. And why? Because the father had shared it with her, easily, readily, and without issue. In one tiny interaction, we see the depth of the communication rift between father and son, specifically, and we see a hint of the pain it's left Simon with. He's surprised because he's oblivious because he's so focused on himself and this perceived rivalry. He's even cognizant of th...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:33 Aug 31, 2023

Hi Michal, yes the letter's potential to speak volumes, without containing a word, really gripped me this week. Great to be back, however briefly. I love all the Reedsy back n forth, but I'm busy prepping for the school start so it might be a while till I manage some direct or indirect communication on here!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
15:45 Aug 30, 2023

“Clippings” - your title holds as much as Simon’s box! The hair, the articles, and Simon’s heart clipped by the relationship he had with his father. You know a great story when you’ve read it and feel full afterwards, like Thanksgiving dinner for your literary stomach. That’s how I feel now. Great work, Rebecca! :)

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:38 Aug 30, 2023

Thanks Nina. I love your culinary analogy, especially as a Brit it is the one meal I can really relate to as we all tuck into turkey at Christmas. I only hope the tale left you feeling happily full and not stuffed like the bird, which is how I tend to feel after not holding back on seconds and then the flaming xmas pud! Cripes, it will soon be time for festive yarns! On a different note, have to let you know that I love your bio; fellow teacher and it just snap, crackles with wit! I look forward to reading more from you in the coming weeks.

Reply

Nina H
19:08 Aug 30, 2023

Oh, it was definitely the Goldilocks of full- just right! And what is a flaming pud post stuffed Turkey?!? The only flaming deserts I’ve made have been casualties of poor timing on my part! Thanks for reading my bio! Not to sound boastful, but it DID merit Best Reedsy Bio Award 2023. It’s a made up award Delbert (you know Del, right? I mean, who doesn’t?) nodded me for. Then it all sort of avalanched into existence. Mostly by me. I’m pretty good at fabricating certificates and awards. 🤩

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:27 Aug 31, 2023

You absolutely own that award😜Flaming puds are normally of the intentional variety: you tip a load of brandy on your figgy pudding and ignite it. Hate to think how many homes have gone up in smoke over the years. Plenty of real life cracking tales probably

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
10:44 Aug 30, 2023

This hit really hard, Rebecca! So poignant and beautifully sad. Thank you for writing this. Good luck this week!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:40 Aug 30, 2023

I think if I had a soundtrack playing for these it would be mournful music, lots of violins...time must be approaching for me to try a funny again; there's only so much maudlin even I can take. Thank you so much you lovely literary lady you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
02:29 Aug 30, 2023

Oh Rebecca, what a wonderful story. I loved the little details and the epic way you walked us through this character’s life. I admire how much you packed into the story and the little lessons included here, too. Yes, our parents are people, too. And yes they usually do their best to love us in the only ways they know how. Nice work!!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:42 Aug 30, 2023

Thanks Amanda. Reconnecting with readers after a couple of months off has been even nicer than writing the story; forgot how much I miss good old Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:31 Aug 29, 2023

It’s lovely to see another of your stories. This one grapples with something really important: men not allowing themselves joy for fear of weakness or womanliness. And it isn’t just overt as in the dad’s case. Simon, with his more feminine interests, looks, and relationships, still places demands on the sister who needs and deserves more consideration, and engages in toxic behaviors. It’s passed down by the whole of society even people try to resist. Great work.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:26 Aug 29, 2023

Thanks so much Anne. It's been a struggle to find time but engagement from wonderful writers like you inspires me to try to find more time in the coming weeks. I think you popped up in my activity feed for this week's prompts ( another one I'm skipping) so I'll make sure to head over soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
10:05 Aug 26, 2023

How incredibly sad, and so true for many men of a certain generation. There is not a lack of love, just a lack of understanding and and fear of expressing love. You write this tale so well, so beautifully with such tenderness, that we can see Simon growing and changing before our eyes. His experiences had made him quite self absorbed, not even registering that his sister had given birth. He was blinded by his own pain, he did not even think about the discomfort he was causing his sister by demanding she leave a newborn to attend to him. He...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:16 Aug 27, 2023

Hi Michelle. I'm glad you felt the tender tone and saw the evolution of Simon. I think it was a great classic prompt this week. Letters can be a super plot device can't they for humour and of course cranking up the suspense (open it!). But writing this story, it was how a letter can function for character development that I enjoyed the most. Thanks ever so much for the detailed appraisal; it's appreciated as I wrote this quite close to the end of deadline so it might not be so read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
09:10 Aug 25, 2023

Another great tale from Rebecca Miles. Even when you kinda know how it's going to end, you still get a jolt of sadness and sweetness at the end. Only a master storyteller can do that. Your usual excellence in exposition and description shines through. Truthfully, one can learn a lot about writing exposition and description by reading your tales. I'm still struggling with that, but I have picked up some valuable ideas from your writings. Great stuff, my friend. It's nice to see a tale from you this week. Cheers!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
11:46 Aug 25, 2023

It's good to jump back on the Reedsy train after alighting for a bit longer than expected and seeing you on board Del! Sad and sweet: sounds like one of mine doesn't it,-) I enjoyed developing a different relationship to my normal romantic fare this week. I wonder if it is just me or whether others feel guilty this week about never writing letters. We all love the pen, even if we don't live by it, and yet the great age of the epistle is long gone. I used to write letters; I'm sure I'm not the only one...although writing comments and engaging...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
06:39 Aug 25, 2023

Hi Rebecca, what a powerful story you've written. It sums up a lot of men who were never able or allowed to show emotions. I had a grandfather and father much like this. Criticism damages relationships so badly and that comes across vividly in your story. Your characters are realistic and your designer isn't clichéd which I particularly liked. The building of tension about the envelope was good and then a nice twist to the tale. This was a good take on the prompt.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
11:52 Aug 25, 2023

Hi Wendy. Yes, thanks for pointing out that legacy and I am tickled pink the tension came off as with such a dollop of poigancy I had to hope that the suspense of what was in that unaddressed envelope would still grip right to the end. Thanks "dear gal" - in the voice of Dorothea- for giving my not quite such a light and breezy tale your time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.