2 comments

Coming of Age Fantasy Fiction

Opposite Day 

By Laney Bryant

I wasn’t looking forward to my sixteenth birthday like you might be. People say that before there was something called a sweet sixteen? It’s funny to me that people used to look forward to they’re sixteenth birthday.

I was certainly not looking forward to mine, in fact I was dreading tomorrow.

At least I can finally get it over with, no more waiting to see what curse I was given. I mean I had been waiting for 15 years. No more overwhelming sense of trepidation. I found it interesting that out society chose to curse they’re own citizens.

I mean it’s not like I haven’t seen it happen before to others, it was so sad to see families torn apart. To see siblings turn on each other.

Every curse was different there has never been two of the same. Or at least not that I knew of. Maybe twins got the same curse?

I really hope that the curse will eventually let up.

There was a rumor that it wasn’t the government but that there was a person out there who had the power to curse the world.

I suppose it was possible, this had only been going on for twenty years so it could be a singular person. No one really knew.

Maybe it wouldn’t be that bad? Maybe I will get something along the lines of “you can’t to homework anymore,” or “you can’t cut your hair again,”

But really I don’t know. My older sister got “you can’t interact with family members,”

That’s why I haven’t seen her in a few years.

I missed her, maybe one day the curse would let up. I was extremely close with my sister. Her name was Maria.

There was a funeral held for her. Everyone pretended she was dead. Because to my family she was dead, she was gone. My younger siblings probably wouldn’t really even remember her. One day I might not remember her. What if my siblings forgot me one day? I chose not to think on it right now.

My parents said it would be delivered in the mail. I think it's ironic. Such a detrimental day of your life and it would all start with a simple piece of paper.

If I didn’t read it would the curse not be put into place? Or would it be even worse because I chose not to read it.

I think it's too big of a risk. I’ll just cross my fingers and hope for something good. Well not good but not bad...I think you know what I mean.

I checked the time, for the twentieth time this hour. It was 11:30. Technically in 30 minutes I would get my curse.

I think I would rather have a good night of sleep before my life changes forever.

I threw the blanket off my lap, slowly standing and stretching my legs.

I turned the lights off and settled into bed, setting my glasses on the table.

Sleep came quickly, wrapping me in sweet darkness.

BEEEEEEEEP

BEEEEEEEEP

BEEEEEEEEP

I hurled my alarm clock across the room, satisfied with the loud crash.

I didn’t open my eyes. I didn't want to brave the days ahead. That minuscule piece of paper could ruin my life. It could turn everything upside down.

There was a possibility that I could lose everyone I loved. What if I never saw my parents again. Or my sisters. I only had two left. I couldn’t lose them.

“CAAAAL!”

 My sister screamed. That was Ava she was two years younger than me, then there was Emile she was four years younger than me. Would I ever see them again? Was that the last time I would hear Ava’s voice?

A knock.

“Cal?”

Emily asked. Her voice gave me the strength to open my eyes, the strength to get out of bed. Because I had to be strong, I couldn’t let my family see that I was scared. I needed to be strong for them. With that in mind I opened the door, aware of every sense around me. My bare feet on the cold wooden floor. 

Emily grabbed me around the waist. Pulling me tight to her.

“Don’t go,”

“I won’t leave I promise” I said it like I had a choice, anything could happen. I hope I didn’t have to break my promise to her.

“Is breakfast ready?” It was cowardly of me, to change the subject, to get her to talk about anything but today. I just couldn’t stand it so I decided that I was going to pretend nothing happened. I am going to spend what could possibly be my last day with my family making sure the last memories they have of me are happy.

“Yeah, Mom made flapjacks,” she sniffled.

I patted her head, her hair was a bright red with a slight curl, I love braiding her hair and Ava’s, Emile’s hair was longer though. I would spend the entire night braiding her hair and talking with her.

She grabbed my hand, I almost pulled away. Her fingers were like ice. Emile started tugging me down the stairs behind her. 

Ava, my mom and my dad were sitting at the table chatting. My moms face was grave and my dad had a smile plastered onto his face. I couldn’t see Ava from here, she was quiet though which was unusual.

Flapjacks were on the table next to a bottle of syrup and some chocolate chips.

There it was a plain letter with a red seal.

I didn’t look at my family as I picked up the letter, the sharp edges dug into my fingers. I slowly pulled off the seal, and opened the flap of the envelope.

It was folded, I pulled it out and sat down at the table.

“I love you,” I said before unfolding the paper.

There it was written in black ink.

You shall forever say the opposite of what you mean, Cal Payright

February 03, 2023 23:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

J. E. Sanchez
14:09 Feb 18, 2023

Great story! -feedback: Use one tense. For example in this sentence,” I think I would rather have a good night of sleep before my life changes forever,” You can change ‘think’ to thought or would to will so it can sound smoother. Other than that, great turn on the prompt. Corrupt dystopia, curses…can’t imagine living there…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darling Jackson
15:00 Feb 17, 2023

Any feedback is accepted!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.