2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance

As I steered into the wedding venue parking lot, I hoped the picturesque setting would impress Nadine. I didn't want her to regret the deal she made with me to be my plus one.


"What a view, Zack," said Nadine. Her looks alone put her outta my league.


The Columbia River Gorge had that effect on people. The sun hadn't yet set, and the Hood River portrait was complete: blue sky, sheer rock cliffs, and emerald green river populated by windsurfers. The only thing missing were the bald eagles. 


I grinned. My focus wasn't on the landscape. My mission was to change my status from IT helper/friend to something more. Heck, I even donned a monkey suit with a bow tie for this shindig.


Nadine looked at me expectantly, snapping me out of my reverie. I boldly extended my hand, and surprisingly, she took it. "You look wonderful tonight: your dress, your hair, everything." Could I say tonight yet? The universe answered, and the tea lights came on as we approached the concierge. 


"Thank you. It's new. You look great yourself, by the way." Her smile melted me.


We got checked in and oriented with little time to spare. Nadine headed to the powder room, followed by two of my cousins, deep in conversation. I secured seats in the back of the wedding area. Near the front, I spotted Mom and Dad, who had not saved us seats—thanks, guys. As the music started and the ushers began escorting family in, I craned my body and neck to find Nadine. I spotted her, but her furrowed brow conveyed worry. 


After she settled, I asked, "Are you okay?"


"No." She leaned in and cupped her hands over her mouth to whisper in my ear. She'd just been to the bathroom, so I wasn't eager to know what was wrong. "I just overheard a conversation between two of the bridesmaids." 


"My cousins, Iris and Rose." I kept my voice low.


"One of them is already married to the groom." She pulled back from my ear to get a reaction. As I tried to absorb what Nadine said, my male cousin escorted my aunt, the mother of the bride, past us.


All I could muster in response was, "What?" It came out louder than I intended, and we got shushed by the people behind us. I switched to texting. 


"You sure?" I texted Nadine.


"We must stop the wedding. It's illegal!" she texted back.


"Now? Too late." The six bridesmaids strolled past, and I scrutinized Iris and Rose's faces, knowing perfectly well that Iris was the culprit. Every family scandal had her handprints. I switched my phone off and showed Nadine. She had a look of hopelessness, as did I, but she followed suit. Mendelssohn's Wedding March began, and the ceremony commenced.

#

After the ceremony, we hurried from the Wedding Sanctuary Bluff to the Cocktails Palisade. In a quiet corner, Nadine spilled everything she overheard, but the details were sketchy: prom weekend, Las Vegas, drunk, chapel, forgot about it, does it count? 


"So, you're thinking that one of my cousins may have married the groom years ago as a goof, and she's just bringing it up now? It's not our secret to tell, right? The ceremony is over."


"The marriage isn't legal until they sign the license. They are probably doing that now. Let's find them." Nadine's paralegal knowledge could upend this entire event.


I agreed with Nadine's idea even though, on some level, I didn't want to find them because I had no idea what to say. Regardless, we raced to the concierge, who revealed that the wedding party was in the Tranquility Room. Nadine tucked under a tree, and I knocked on the door.


Uncle Jasper answered. "What's up, Simon? We're busy in here taking pictures and signing things." Simon was my given name, and I'd yet to convince my family that I go by Zack now. 


"About that… I have something urgent to tell you." I could hear gaiety behind him.


"Talk to the wedding planner. She can handle anything you need." Uncle Jasper started to close the door but couldn't because I had inserted my foot.


"I really need to talk to you." Uncle Jasper still considered me the kid who took forever to take the training wheels off my bike. Assertive Zack was new to him.


"Okay, Simon. But let's make it brief." No point in correcting my name now--my assertiveness was still a work in progress. We joined Nadine under the tree.


"Well?" asked Uncle Jasper.


"Uncle, meet Nadine, my plus one. We work together at the law firm. She's a paralegal." My babbling exasperated him, and I needed to get to the point. "Nadine overheard that the groom, Brock, is already married." After blurting it out, I looked down.


"Really? Tell me—"


"Excuse my interruption, sir." Both men turned to Nadine. "Time is of the essence, sir. Until you can check out this news, may I suggest, and I'm not a lawyer, that you prevent the marriage license from being signed? They won't be officially married until it's signed and filed."


Uncle Jasper nodded as he absorbed the information. Was that a slight smile of relief on this face? His hands flared out as if activated. He set off, then paused. "Wait. Who did you hear this information from, dear?" He looked intently at Nadine. I gazed sheepishly at my shiny black Oxfords, which I couldn't afford.


"I overheard it in the restroom, sir. Two bridesmaids didn't know I was in the stall."


"That narrows it down. Thanks!" Uncle Jasper sped off towards the Tranquility Room, which wouldn't be calm much longer. A deep sigh escaped me as I realized I didn't have to name names.

#

After the commotion, we headed to the open bar. My rich uncle spared no expense. Armed with champagne cocktails, we strolled along the cliff walkway. Stars emerged in the twilight, and night-blooming jasmine scented the air. Should this nerdy, insecure guy dare to move in for a kiss? Just as a romantic note struck, the host corralled the guests to dinner. 


The live band serenaded the crowd of about three hundred as we ate the best wedding dinner ever. Although I tried to steer the conversation away from earlier events, a cloud of expectancy hovered. Nothing about the reception seemed amiss, and that felt strange.


"What do you think happened, Zack?" We hunched in close so we wouldn't be overheard. I liked that.


I shrugged my shoulders and turned my palms upward. "Maybe it was too late by the time Uncle Jasper got into the room?" I glanced at the head table, and the newly married couple looked, well, happy.


"Maybe…" Nadine looked unconvinced. I admired that she cared so deeply about people she didn't know.


"Uncle is very well connected. He's probably already talked to an attorney. Tonight is his wife and daughter's big show, so he's letting them have that." 


Dinner completed, and the host introduced the bridal couple, Brock and Violet, and the dancing began. My work buddy, Blair, had given me wardrobe and dancing tips for tonight in exchange for setting up his remote office, my new cottage industry. Blair suggested that I ask Nadine to this event because he'd observed her daily visits to my IT help desk. I told him Nadine was just technologically challenged. 


I turned to Nadine as she watched the dancers. I heard the opening notes of Jason Mraz's I'm Yours, a song I played on the ukulele. Go time. 


"Nadine…" She turned her head and smiled. "Would you like to dance?"


"Yes." The magic word. Was she fulfilling her part of the bargain, or did she really want to?


I tried a few of Blair's moves and hopefully didn't look too foolish. The music transitioned to Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, and my brain did a virtual fist pump. Nadine grabbed my outstretched hand, and I reeled her in for the slow dance. When Nadine placed her head on my shoulder, I wanted to freeze time. Was she tired, buzzed, or into me? As the song ended, Uncle Jasper's voice on the mic interrupted us, and we took our seats.


"I have an important announcement." He sounded so serious that Nadine and I gave each other a foreboding stare. After thanking people for coming, blah, blah, blah, his voice became loud and excited. Next, we heard "prizes for guests" and applause. He faked us out.


"Did I tell you that Uncle owns a chain of hotels?"


"No, you did not." Nadine's eyes widened as she joined the clapping.


The family took turns pulling guest names out of a hat. Aunt Camilla drew for a trip to Las Vegas. She purposely dropped the first name she picked on the floor. I'd bet anything that Iris's name was under her shoe right now. Rose doled out a New York getaway. Although the gifts were lavish, waiting for people to react and get to the front grew tedious.


"How 'bout I get us another round?" I asked.


"I dunno. I'm feeling a bit tipsy. Maybe split one?"


I stood to go, but I asked myself how we would share one drink. "Sure, I'll be—"


"And the grand prize winner is Simon Martin and his plus one! Come on up, nephew." By the look of Nadine's face, she didn't catch on.


Looking down, I said to her, "That's me. Simon's my given name. Come join me." She took my hand as we worked our way to the stage. I wondered if any trip could top how I felt at this moment. 


"Here he comes, folks. Ten days in Fiji, all-expense paid trip." The applause thundered.

When we reached Uncle Jasper, he covered the mic with his hand and whispered, "Thanks, you two. The marriage license is still unsigned. We'll sort things tomorrow morning." He lifted his hand and said, "Congratulations to my nephew Simon and his plus one…" 


I leaned toward the mic and blurted, "Nadine." Somehow, I can be more forthright about her name than mine. The rest was a blur of applause, disbelief, and smiles until my face hurt.

#

On the drive home, Nadine effusively retold every detail of the night. I think I succeeded in showing her a good time, but it was unclear if I had moved the needle from buddy/friend to more. Had I made enough of an impression to ask my burning question? 


I decided to risk it: "No matter how you answer this question, I still agree to fulfill my part of our deal and help you with your remote office."


"Huh?" I glanced at her face, and she looked perplexed.


"I was wondering…You see, I have this trip coming up sometime in the next year. Would you be willing to be my plus one?" 


She stomped her feet and let out a little scream. Needle moved.


May 16, 2024 15:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

MK Brain Frank
16:43 Jun 24, 2024

Did Uncle Jasper deliberately arrange for Simon and Nadine to win the grand prize? As a thank you for loyalty and discretion?

Reply

Kristy Schnabel
17:06 Jun 27, 2024

Hi MK, yes, indeed, Uncle Jasper rigged the raffle to everyone's benefit. ;-) Thanks for reading! ~Kristy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.