0 comments

General

Danny didn't think he was anything but normal, he went to work 5 times a week, he paid his taxes, he did the minimum required fitness regime to keep him healthy. Yes, Danny Waters was normal, except for the fact that he killed women as a hobby.

He wouldn't say it was a hobby, no it was more a craving, a need that had to be satisfied through blood. A hunger, yes that was it, a hunger. Just like certain people had a hunger for food as sustenance, he needed the chase, the watching, the screams from them as they bled dry in his arms to keep him sane. He supposed by other standards he wasn't sane but he thought he was.

He sat watching Linda as she walked out of her apartment to buy groceries. Linda was his latest target, a woman after his own heart, but then all women were after his own heart. He liked to think he was saving them from the cruel, harsh world. It was no place for fragile things like they were.

Linda had a smooth clean walk, her stride belaying her confidence in herself and her environment. She was dressed in sweats and a tank top, but that did nothing to take away the grace that her lithe body showed. A body that he could already picture dry, pale and lifeless in his arms, her skin smooth and free of worry lines, like the porcelain doll she was meant to be.

He smiled, the thought of holding her making him drool, he looked forward to getting her under his control, marking her, making her his, and only his. His gut burned, fire spreading from his stomach until it reached every part of his body, burning his veins and tingling his palms. He itched to wrap his hands around her neck and squeeze until she gasped out her last.

But he stayed his hand, his hunger could wait, for now. He had been satiated for a while but he wouldn't last much longer, he had to have her but for the time being, he'd be content to watch her, watch her go about her life, the one she was content to live. He could give her so much more, he could get her to places where she'd be free, all she'd have to do was let go of her life.

He watched her all day until she left to go dancing, as was her habit every Friday. It was a test of his patience since he started watching her, seeing her without any protection, especially the one that daylight offered her, just within his reach but he refused to get to her. In some way, he was pushing himself, wanting to see how far he could get without snapping. He did it to show that he was not a slave to his hunger, that he could control it not the other way around.

On this night though, she looked so enticing, so perfect, so ready to move on, it was all so fateful, pure happenstance that he had brought his tools out, not that he needed much.

*

He watched her run dry in his arms, looking every inch as perfect as he knew she would. He smiled, his hunger satisfied. 


Yes, he was completely normal.

February 16, 2020 17:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.