Change

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about transformation.... view prompt

2 comments

General

“Ma, I need to go to school, it’s getting really late can you just prepare my scrambled eggs. “Little John was pestering his mother to cook fast. His mother Kane was surprised by the sudden change in her son’s behaviour. She felt very absurd that just a few months back, her 10 year old son was so lazy and lethargic Kane had to force him out of bed and make him do his daily routine. He would not even budge a bit and move from the bed. His dad Jean worked in a factory as a technician. Though he had a good pay, he would just give a meagre amount to household. He had lots of bad habits which was a stigma to a happy family. Kane was always a hard worker she worked as a maid in a multimillionaire’s residence which was truly a blessing in disguise to Kane. She managed to earn for her living and her son’s education. Little John was a 10 year old spoilt brat. He always thought his parents were very rich as they pretended to be so. They didn’t want the child to know the actual situation. Though Jean was an alcoholic and had many other habits, he loved his son very much. He didn’t want his son to suffer poverty as he had suffered in his childhood. So did Kane. This was the major mistake what they did. The child was pampered right from his infancy, Hence John always expected to live like a Prince. When he wanted something he would create a ruckus and forcibly would acquire that toy. Jean also worked as a chauffeur in his free time for the same high lit family where Kane was working as a maid. The 10 year old kid was unaware of the circumstances his parents were facing; he got all what he desired for within a nick of time his wishes were fulfilled. This was truly a dangerous move from the parents. Jean used to drop him school in a limousine which he actually worked as a chauffeur. But little did John know about the ground reality. He was brought up as a Prince and he assumed to be one. One day all of a sudden John pestered his mother to buy him an expensive skateboard which was par limit from their budget. John was growing up and his demands too. His parents had to convince him about their situation. Kane said” John, listen now your are growing up and I feel you can understand the situation, we are not rich kid, the car which your dad drives is not ours, it belongs to the family where I work as a maid. The house which we are living in belongs to them. The expensive clothes are just the used clothes of their kids. The toys too are the ones used by them. Now do you understand that we cannot buy you that expensive skate board, it’s just out of reach”? John couldn’t believe what he heard, he was just yelling around saying,” you don’t want to buy me that skate board hence you people are acting, We are rich , we are not poor, my dad owns a limo and you are the queen of this mansion”. Though Kane and Jean tried to convince their child, it was futile. The next morning Kane entered John’s room to wake him up. He wasn’t there. She searched everywhere but couldn’t find him. She was in a shock. Jean too searched everywhere enquired their neighbourhood but couldn’t locate him. The y were grief stricken, Kane was in tears,” It was our mistake, we shouldn’t have lied to the child, our kid is very sensitive and now he is heartbroken”. Jean too was very depressed. Along with a friend of his he went to the police station to file a missing complaint.

John who was very depressed and sad when he found out that his parents were poor, he couldn’t bear it. He was a small 10 year old yet his mind was matured enough to understand things. His parents had lied to him and this was more depressing, He woke up early in the morning and left the house without being noticed. He walked and walked until he found a dog with her 8 puppies hanging around her. It was cold outside and he could see the puppies hugging their mother to keep themselves warm. The mother dog was weak and skinny yet she fed her puppies. She searched for food in the litter- bin so that she could feed her kids. John was truly surprised to see the affection of a mother towards her kids. Then he moved on to see a cow which was bullied and thrashed because she refused to milk until her calf was completely fed. This was another example of motherly love. As he moved on for a while he saw a birdie’s nest. He could see small birdie’s with their mouth open. John saw the mother bird picking grains and small insects and feeding the little ones. As the mother bird was picking the grains cat tried to pounce on her. But with snick of time she escaped and flew away to her nest. John understood that no matter whatever situation is parents protect their kids. As he moved on he saw an aged man carrying his disabled son on his shoulders. Now John understood the fatherly love. A father supports the children to make their life easy and happy. John was overwhelmed by the situations he saw and was ashamed of himself for not understanding his parents and their love towards him. Now he understood why his parents struggled hard to fulfil his desires. He returned the same way as he had left his house. He saw his parents crying. John ran to his parents and hugged them saying,” Sorry mom and dad I will never pester you for anything. I can understand the difficulty you both face in bring me up, I’m lucky to have such caring parents” Kane and Jean hugged their kid and wept along. Indeed there was a transformation in every soul around.


May 29, 2020 14:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

John K Adams
21:20 Jun 03, 2020

This is a good first draft of what could be a powerful finished story. The characters would (in my opinion) come more to life if you introduced the elements of your tale through dialogue. This makes them more human and the situation more real. I hope to read more.

Reply

Arathi Raghuveer
16:31 Jun 09, 2020

Thank you Mr. John I appreciate your comment and would definitely take your suggestion for my next write-up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.