0 comments

Inspirational Historical Fiction Sad

   Today, March 19th, 2020. For the first time in my life, I am working from home. I have been working for the same company for over twelve years. The option to work from home was given to me a few years ago when I became eligible due to my new role in the company. What did I do? I refused. Why? Because to work from home was too much of a distraction. Knowing that I live upstairs of a duplex that belongs to my parents. The stairs are interior. They can come see me anytime they want. I pay them a rent but it does not mean I have my own private life. They barge in almost anytime they want. It is very annoying. I don’t have intimacy when I need it. However, since March 11th, eight days ago, the World Health Organization declared that the world is facing a pandemic. The virus is named COVID-19.

    As soon this worldwide news came out, the company’s major shareholders decided that the best decision would be to hand out laptops to all employees that perform their task in front a of computer on a daily basis. I was part of that group. At first, I was upset when I got the news. I will be headed to work from home. I was not too anxious to work from home. Knowing my situation with my parents.

    The first day of work was not fun. I had a crappy table to work on and a chair that did not adjust to the level of my table and laptop. I almost gave out my back. I was working in this very horrible position. After a week, I decided to order a new work desk and a new office chair. By end of March, I received by truck delivery my items. Once it was all setup, I felt like I was working in the office. So comfortable.

    By mid-April, I got accustomed to work from home on my new desk, chair and my company laptop. The issue now was my parent’s constant visits to my apartment. I needed to concentrate. This was serious. I am not talking about disturbing me when a friend comes over. This was my job. My duty. I take my role at this company very seriously. I have pride about my performance in this company.

    Mid-May, my parents decided, I was to blame, but it was bound to happen, to move away for a few months with my sister that lives in another city, three hours away from us. My sister was pregnant and she was going to need help. A lot of help. My parents told me that they might stay more than a few months depending on how the virus behaves and government decisions. Honestly, this was great news. I will be able to concentrate. The only thing I will miss is the great cooking of my mom.

    We are entering the summer month. Almost the summer solstice. My job, from home, is going well. A new challenge is arising. I had gained weight since I started working from home. A good ten pounds! This was due to my new sedentary life style. I barely go out on weekdays when I am working from home. The only days I go out are on the weekend and even that, I don’t stay out too long because lot of businesses are closed. My passion is cinema. The movie theaters are closed. One major reason for me to stay home. I decided to order a treadmill. It was delivered to me. Assembled by a technician. This was my first home visit since my parents left. I am home all day, in my living room, where I work. 

   Almost fall season. Approaching October. There is no news about my parents returning home. My sister is about to give birth in three weeks. Very close to Halloween. It is unbelievable how summer went by so quickly. Also, maybe that I did not take any vacation days this summer. I did not leave my house. Barely I mean. I was getting delivered everything to me. Groceries, meals with Uber Eats, items from Amazon. My office was my living room. The window right beside me. I live on a residential street so it is a quite street. A one-way street. Now, it feels like a ghost town.

    Because of the pandemic and the fact that governments around the world are emphasizing on staying home as much as possible and not to travel, I had postponed my vacation till November. Here we are. November 16th. I am on vacation for two weeks. I was hoping by now that at least, cinemas would be open. But, no. Still not open. I am a movie buff and for me, the best way to watch movies are in theaters. Here I am home, stuck watching movies on Netflix, Prime and Disney. I am spending close to sixteen hours a day in my living room which is my office also. Insane!

    Christmas has arrived. I am all alone. I can understand. We all need to chip in, do our part, and make sure the virus is contained. My parents will be staying longer at my sister’s. Now that she has a baby girl born on October 24th. A two-month-old baby does need a lot of attention and care. My parents will be there to help her. I wanted to invited my best friend to come over but…the risk is always present of the virus. We spoke over the phone on this beautiful, quiet, snowy Christmas day. We will have supper from our homes, apart, while on Facetime. Oh, technology does help during this crisis!

    After 365 days, we are March 19th, again…in 2021. I am still working from home, in my living room. I am still looking out of the window where I no longer hear cars passing by as much as before, less people walking. At night, seldom, I see dog owners out with their pets. A dog can’t stat home all day. The poor dog will not survive that.

    The future is not certain but we all need to know our roles and contribute to our communities to fight this common global enemy. Humanity must unite and fight it together.

   As for me, my employer cannot give me a date on a return to the office timeline. I miss driving my car and seeing my colleagues to work. The one good thing about this pandemic for me. I saved lot of money. And, I can say I saved time. Time and money. Two difficult commodities to possess. Time will tell when life returns to a certain normality… 

March 12, 2021 18:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.