1 comment

Thriller Fiction

The Painting

By:

Wes Montgomery

“I don't like it, Richard. His eyes follow me across the room.”

“Honey, it's just your imagination. There's no way the boy's eyes are following you; it's just a painting.”

“It's creepy. We need to get rid of that thing.”

“Yeah, you're probably right. With those dark eyes giving an ominous glare and sunken, pale-white cheeks making him look so close to death, I’m not sure I want to see him every day either, and the black, round-rimmed glasses don't help much. It looks like he's up to something. And what kid that age wears a suit and tie?”

“I wonder who he is.”

“I don’t remember his name or how he’s related.”

“You’re related to that little monster?”

“Yeah, some long-lost cousin. Ya know, now that I think about it; he might be Eli. The one who went psycho and chopped up his entire family with that axe by the tree in the background of the painting.”

“Please, stop!”

“I'm just kidding. Or am I?”

“That's not helping, Richard. Just get the fireplace going while I grab us more wine from the kitchen. Maybe when I get back, we can do something to take my mind off that awful painting.”

“Ooh, sounds good.”

“Don't be so presumptuous. I meant we could read a book.”

“It’s weird. I've been pacing back and forth while you were in the kitchen. It does look like his eyes are following me. That is disturbing.”

“Stop trying to scare me. If you keep it up, I'll walk right out that door into the snow and all the way to the Motel 6 down the road. You’ll be here to deal with it by yourself.”

“I'm not trying to scare you, Jess. I feel like he's watching us.”

“Richard, stop! I’m serious!”

“Okay. Sorry. Just cozy up next to me on this comfy couch and forget about the painting.”

“That’s better. How was your day, sweetheart?”

“Eh, it was just another day at the office. Bill being a prick as usual. I worked on tax returns all day; this is the worst time of the year. You?”

“Oh, mom and I went shopping. We didn't buy anything, but I did see some things I liked. I'll probably go back into town tomorrow and get some knickknacks for the new house. Since we upgraded from the apartment last week, I've realized we don't have enough stuff to fill all this space.”

“That's nice, honey. it's a shame that evil bastard uncle of mine had to fall down the stairs and break his neck so we could have this place.”

“You shouldn't speak ill of the dead, Richard. It's bad luck. Besides, he was nice enough to leave it to you.”

“I know, but everyone knows he was an evil bastard. It's not like I'm shining some new light on the matter. Even his own kids wouldn’t talk to him. That’s why it took two days to find the body.”

“So sad. I feel sorry for him.”

“You shouldn’t. He was a jerk who died alone in his own self-pity because no one could stand him. He carried a grudge against his own kids; otherwise, we wouldn’t have got this house.”

“It’s still sad.”

“I guess.”

“Do you like the wine?”

“It's nice, but I think I'd prefer a Scotch on the rocks. That would add just enough warmth to fight this drafty house and the bitter cold outside. Maybe you should scooch a little closer.”

“What was that? Something scratched the wall. I hope it's not a mouse; I hate mice. If I see one, Richard, I'll be standing on the coffee table screaming my lungs out.”

“It's an old house, Jess. You're probably just hearing it settle, and the snow is coming down hard. With that kind of weight on the roof, all kinds of noises are gonna happen.”

“No; it came from the wall. Just there. By the painting.”

“Oh, I'm sure you're just being paranoid. We've been talking about that painting for a while now, and it's gotten to your head.”

“I don't know. I have an uneasy feeling.”

“Just sit next to me. I'll keep you safe.”

“Don't dismiss me, Richard! You know I hate when you do that!”

“Sorry. Do you want me look and see if I can find a mouse?”

“No. It's alright. I think I'll just go to the kitchen and make a sandwich; you want one?”

“Nah. I'm not hungry. Although, I think I'll run to the bathroom while you're making a sandwich.”

“Are you my mommy?”

“What? Who was that?”

“It's me, up here in the picture. I want you to be my mommy.”

“No way. You can't be talking to me. I've had too much wine.”

“Look at me mommy. We can be together, forever.”

“I need to go outside for some fresh air.”

“You know you've always wanted a child of your own, mommy.”

“Richard doesn't want children right now. I can't press the issue. Besides, how do you know I want a child anyway?”

“I know lots of things mommy. He tells me everything.”

“Who?”

“Who are you talking to, Jess? Stop staring at that picture. You're gonna freak yourself out again.”

“Richard, he was talking to me.”

“What?”

“He talked to me. And there, he just smiled at me!”

“Jess, it’s a painting. It can’t move.”

“Richard, I know what I saw! He flashed a smile and winked at me!”

“Ow! You didn’t have to hit me! That’s gonna leave a bruise. I think you’re out of your frickin mind.”

“Sorry. Maybe I am out of my frickin mind. I'm just gonna finish this sandwich and go to bed.”

“Sounds like a good idea. But one thing is for sure; that painting is gone tomorrow.”

“No, Richard! He'll be all alone!”

“Who will be all alone? Jess, you're scaring me; you alright?”

“Eli! He’s just a kid, Richard! We can't leave him all alone!”

“I think you're just stressed Because the doctor told you, you couldn't have children. Maybe you need to talk to someone, honey.”

“I can have children, Richard. I lied to you because you said you didn't want children, and I didn't want you to feel bad. But Eli needs me. I can't leave him all alone.”

“You lied to me?”

“Yes. I've always wanted children, but you said no. I didn't want to lose you.”

“I don't know what to say. You know I had a rough childhood. I just can't risk that for another child.”

“I think we would be good parents Richard. Just because you had a tough time doesn't mean our child would.”

“Ugh! I know that. I just need more time to think about it.”

“We don't have forever. Since you can't make up your mind, I'm keeping Eli.”

“It's a painting, Jess. Not a real child.”

“Just forget it! I'm going to bed.”

“Ooh, make some room under those covers, honey. I am freezing.”

“You know you could wear your flannel pajamas to bed instead of those heart-covered boxers that I bought as a gag gift for Valentine's Day last year. Then maybe you wouldn't freeze to death.”

“Nah. Can't do that. All these little red hearts make me feel sexy. Besides it's hard enough to get you in the mo—”

“What was that? I think someone's breaking in Richard!”

“Stay here honey. I'm gonna go check it out.”

“No! What if you get hurt?”

“Relax. I'll take the baseball bat with me. Lock the door behind me and don't open it until I tell you to.”

“Richard, I'm scared.”

“It'll be okay. I'll be right back.”

“How are you out of the painting?”

“I want my mommy.”

“This isn't happening! Stay away from me!”

“I said I want my mommy!”

“Richard! Don’t hurt him!”

“Mommy, the bad man is trying to hurt me.”

“It's okay, baby; don’t cry. Mama's here; I won't let him hurt you.”

“Jess, what the fuck? Don't talk to that thing; it has to be a demon.”

“The bad man is calling me names.”

“Richard, stop it! Put the baseball bat down! You're scaring him!”

“Jess! What are you doing? Don't touch that thing!”

“It's gonna be alright, baby. Mama's got you.”

“Move, so I can hit him!”

“You can't hurt him, Richard. He's staying with me, forever.”

“The bad man tried to hit me with the baseball bat.”

“Well, I guess you'll have to teach him a lesson like you did his uncle.”

“You're right, Mama! The bad man should go down the stairs!”

“Jess, help me! He's going to drop me. It’ll kill me.”

“Drop him, baby.”

“Are you mad at me for killing the bad man, Mama?”

“No, baby. You had to; he was trying to keep us apart. We’ll clean up the mess tomorrow. Now, let's get your jammies on and go to bed.”

“I love you the bestest mommy!”

February 23, 2023 23:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Karen McDermott
11:21 Feb 26, 2023

Awesome. This has some Hitchcock vibes to it, but with a double dose of absurdity. Nice first submission.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.