0 comments

Historical Fiction

In St. Kilda Scotland, there were the wealthy residents, and the servants. The wealthy ones believed in hierarchy and good fashion. Servants were what were called humble, the word being frowned upon. 

In this time, there was a family that lived the wealthy lifestyle. The Railes. Many of the Scots had heard of their name many times. They took part in the Hierarchy beliefs. This family had a mother, a father and a child. The mother was a wretch, as well as the father: Bobland and Cellecey. They had met through their own parents marrying them off to each other. They despised one another, fought, snarled and complained. But, within two years, they were expecting to have a child. 

Cellecey had been thinking of murdering the child once it was born. She’d thought “This little beast has ruined the remainder of my life. It shall suffer as I did.” Bobland agreed.

In the spring, on April 10th, Liri Ailease Raile was born. Cellecey tried to take the child out from the Midwife's hands just to strangle the infant, drop her, anything of harm. Bobland had not been there the whole day of Cellecey’s labor; he was off at pubs and bars. This had only given him the name of the Bar Bum.

Cellecey had tried to get rid of Liri weekly when she was a baby.  When Liri was a young child, she would only try every few months. But something always got in the way. Soon, she gave up.

At the age of eight, Liri was known all around St. Kilda. Many knew she was kind and intelligent. People wondered how such callous human beings could have formed this little girl to be the opposite of them. 

Bobland would send her off to shops and stores on her own. She would go to the same places every Tuesday: the printer shop to grab the paper, the butcher shop for no apparent reason, then to the small bookstore that held less than sixty books. Liri never considered why her parents sent her out every Tuesday; it was only a habit. On this particular Tuesday, Liri’s parents wanted her to be back early.

 She had finished her fun and headed back home. She went down a path that she had traveled over 100 times before. She could see her home from where she was; Cellecey saw her too. “Run, Liri!” Cellecy shouted. Liri started the action of a pounding jog.

“Child, why is your hair down? You mirror a prude. Fix it.” Cellecey demanded. Liri pinned it back as best as she could.

“Get in the carriage. We are taking you to your godmother’s mansion in Broadwick. She will be caring for you today,” Cellecey shuddered. “Who is that?” Liri had never heard of a “godmother” before. “What is her name?”

“Stop asking so many questions, mongrel. Her name is Amelia; she is my sister’s best friend. You have met her before, you were only young,”

“I still am young,” Liri muttered.

Bobland came along, for this one time, sober. On the ride, Liri listened to the horse’s hooves clobbering on the ground. After her ears listened for a while, she had grown to be tired, so she fell asleep. 

 Liri awoke to the sound of her father cursing at the coachman, “Do not stop so far away from the entryway.”

“Is she nice? Is she just as pretty as the baker at Shillams?” Liri bothered. “Who?” Bobland questioned. “Amelia.” Liri answered.

Both of her parents ignored her. But, Liri had pictured a young, kind, pretty lady who would welcome her with a hug. Liri hopped out of the carriage, smoothing out her hair and dress. Cellecey walked behind Bobland, who had Liri’s dainty hand in his. They got to the door, then knocked on it. A tall, burly man answered, with a blank face. He invited the Railes inside and showed them to the main area. “Are you Amelia’s husband?” Liri asked.

“Stop that, you silly-” Cellecey began. “Don’t raise to such tones.” spoke a voice with no obvious appearance. From a shadow, came an average height woman, who was slender, with long blonde curly hair and amber eyes. Her dialect was different from other Scots. It was lighter and not the common coarse tone. Her skin was the shade of bleached paper, it glowed with delicateness as it hit the sun. It was Amelia. “She is pretty!” Liri began to approach her and Amelia put her hand in front of herself; Liri stopped reluctantly. “Much like anyone, dear, I have my boundaries. You stand away from me when there are adults in the room. You are to be seen, not heard. Am I clear?” Liri nodded, but Amelia insisted upon a verbal response “Yes Madam,” she backed up behind the group of adults and stood as a statue. She tried to mimic Amelia’s stance, which was straight and confident.

“You will be arriving back by sunset?” Amelia confirmed. Liri remained in the same spot until Amelia motioned for her to follow behind her. She walked down a long hallway, then gestured to a room on the left. “You stay here, unless I call for you.”

“Yes Madam.”

Liri sat in the room, bored, staring out of the room’s window. She saw a boy walking up the driveway. He had papers held to his waist and Liri knew that he must have been working for the printer shop. A loud knock came from the front of the mansion. Liri knew what Amelia instructed her to do, but she was longing for freedom at that moment. She peeked her head around the door, not finding Amelia anywhere in sight. Skipping quickly, she went to the front of the house and watched the door open. Through the door, came a tall lanky teenage male. Liri thought he looked cumbersome and unashamed. He appeared trustworthy to her.

“Ms. Raz?” called the boy. Liri stood before him. “Who is Ms. Raz? I do not believe you have the right mansion,” Liri posed with her arms crossed and right foot pointed out. “Why, I am a regular, young lady!” He chirped happily, a smile swiping across his face. “I bring the paper here every Tuesday and Friday,” he then read the name and address from his sheet of paper “And, it is addressed to a Ms. Amelia Raz,” he proclaimed with a smile. He then pointed at the name and showed Liri. “What is your name?” Liri finally asked. “Well my name is and always will be, Morris Darbhm. You may call me Morris, Ms…?” he put his hand out for a proper greeting. “Oh, my name is Liri Raile, I’m a visitor for the day,” 

Morris leaned over and stated “Nice to meet you Ms. Raile. How about we go seek out Amelia, shall we?” He looped his arm around hers and they walked to the stairs,” I have never been down this way before…” Morris whispered. “Neither have I,” Liri giggled. A book then came out from a turn in the hallway. The book was attached to hands that belonged to the young servant, Mary. Mary was only a hair shorter than Morris, her stature was youthful and bright. She was only a year younger than Morris, who was fourteen. She dropped the book out of the sight of the two snoopers. “Morris?! Who is this? You know you are not supposed to be on the top level; it is forbidden by the mistress!” Mary exclaimed nervously. Mary swept the both of them down the stairs and to the front room. “Who is this?” she asked again. “Mary, this is Liri, she’s a visitor for the day?” Morris looked at Liri with confusion. Amelia’s voice came from the direction Liri’s isolation room was. “Mary, for what reasons are you roaring?” Amelia appeared and became appalled at the sight of them. “Morris, I expected more from you. Mary, that goes for you as well. And you…” She paused to look at Liri, who was hiding behind the two. “I ordered you to stay in that room, did I not? You falsely told me you understood me. Yet, you are out here and not in there, why is that, Liri?” She stayed calm and she never raised her voice, nor changed her tone. “I assumed that you might have forgotten. I am sorry Amelia,”

“You assumed incorrectly. I shall be informing your parents over this matter,” 

Liri nodded and went back to her temporary room. 

Liri didn’t remember falling asleep, but when she awoke, it was early the next morning. She did not leave the room again, so she waited, until a knock on the door made her jolt to her feet. She opened the door to find Amelia on the other side, holding a tray of food. Liri tried apologizing for her mistake the day before, but Amelia did not want to listen. “You eat this and then wash up; since your parents did not come to pick you up, I asked my butler to take you home.” 

Though Amelia didn't like children in the least bit, she still felt empathetic towards Liri. She knew that her parents didn’t come back for a reason, but she could not bear seeing a child roam around her world. 

Liri finished her tasks and came out to wait in the front room. She saw the butler come through a long hallway with the same blank face he had before. She tried to restrain questions that she had; however, one slipped out from under her. “Why can’t Amelia smile?” Liri tried to make eye contact, but she wasn’t brave enough. The butler replied, “I mustn’t answer that question,.. Strange child. Come with me, Madam.”

Liri began to follow him to the carriage. “I am not strange, you witnessed me yesterday.” 

“Hardly.”

“Do I irk you, sir?”

“Where is your home located Ms. Raile? That is the only thing I require of you. I am not interested in answering your questions, please.”

Silence filled the carriage, as Liri was all alone inside of it. In a manner of inner confusion, she thought about why her parents didn't come back. Soon, her thought process was broken because her house hit the horizon. Slightly sorrowful, Liri sprung out of the carriage. Walking to the front steps, lagging legs carried her. A fist was made with her hand, so that she could knock on the door. Right in the middle, she struck it with little might. There was no answer, for what seemed like a lifetime. The knock was attempted again. No answer. She became dejected. The moment had lost momentum in a way; it was dull and rested at a snail's pace. 

In a quiet voice, she managed “Is anybody there? May you open the door?” there was nothing. No one. The Raile’s were gone. At this time, Liri knew her parents had fled. They were always true to their word. They told Amelia that they would be back by sunset, but they weren't. Liri turned back around to look at the butler. “What’s your name again?” she shouted. “Sailem..” he replied. 

Sailem took Liri back to the mansion. “Do you think they were only forgetful? I knew they despised me, but I never knew they would leave…”

“I don’t believe they left you. I believe that they were.. Tired,”

“Why do you do that?” Liri wondered. “Do what?”

“You pause before you finish your sentences; it’s very irritating,” Liri crossed her arms. 

“I tend to think, before I select my words, Ms. Raile,” he raised his eyebrow at her, as if he were sending her a warning, before she asked too many questions. She didn’t get the memo. She asked more questions, until Sailem finally clarified his message. “Lesson one, my dear, do not speak unintelligently towards the mistress. That entails no questions that mutter, and no speaking unless spoken to,” 

“What on earth does that mean?” she giggled. “It means, hold in your questions, until you implode.” Sailem was joking with her in some type of way. Sternly, he looked at her. “Liri… you are in Amelia’s world now, I suggest you stop taking things so childishly and find a calm state of mind. In other words… your parents are not coming back for you. At least not now,”

Liri’s eyes were drawn to the floor of the carriage. She felt the burning of a single tear fall down her rosy cheek. Sailem witnessed the tear bounce on Liri’s shoe. 

“Amelia is the way that she is, because her family never taught her the basics of life. She was homeschooled for the majority of her being; she educated herself, no help from anyone. When she became a part of the world, she had no experiences with people. Amelia worked very hard to make a name for herself at a very young age. When she became successful, she bought her mansion,” Sailem spilled. “Two years after she settled into her new life, she got married to Richard; he was also very successful, but he died of a rare condition eight months later. It broke Amelia; she blocked everyone out and studied more of anything she could get her hands on,” He silenced himself. Liri watched scenery go by on the way back to the mansion. Her mind was on Amelia and her story. She felt upset for the whole time back.

When they arrived back at the mansion, Amelia was waiting on the top of the balcony. With disapproval, her face glared at Sailem. Slowly, she backed away from the balcony, disappearing into the mansion. Sailem guided Liri to the front door and let her in. Swiftly, Amelia and Liri met a gaze. “I presume your parents are on an outing for a while. You shall stay here as long as they are away.” 

Liri nodded.

At the age of fifteen, Amelia had taught Liri how to be a ‘proper’ woman: how to speak, how to stand, how to stay quiet, how to respond, as well as all sorts of schoolwork. She turned out to become very intelligent, noble and charming. She could name every single synonym, antonym and pronunciation to every word in the dictionary, every landmark and city of the world and she had become well versed in Bible study and theology. Amelia never let Liri be alone until the age of thirteen. She forced Liri into her studies a day after the abandonment. Always there, Amelia was more like Liri’s mother than her actual mother. 

As Liri was growing into a teenager, she made friends with Morris and Mary; they were her best friends. They got her into trouble often. They would take her away from her studies, bring her to the old shops she had gone to every Tuesday; prior to the leave. Liri’s status in Scotland had grown, yet in the best way possible. People saw her as the “brave one” of the town. 

Morris always knew what routes to take to avoid being seen by Amelia's friends and acquaintances, and Mary always knew when it was time to stop adventuring. Liri went through everything with Mary and Morris. She could not imagine a world without them.

It was a regular day of the trio, until later… a knock came from the door. Huddled around the dining room table, the three stayed. Amelia came down the stairs to answer the door. “Where is Sailem?” Mary questioned. “Out, dear. Please take Liri to her room and stay with her. Morris, you stand out here.” was said with grim tones. “Yes madam.” they all scattered at once. 

Amelia presented herself well when she opened the door, yet her voice sounded cross. “Hello.” an eyebrow was raised. “Come in, why don’t you?” she gestured towards the main room. Morris scanned the people who came in. He remembered the faces faintly, but for some reason he couldn't get the names. Suddenly, he had to shield his mouth from a gasp. He knew who the people were. Not recalling Amelia’s wishes, he ran towards Liri’s room. For a fleeting time, Morris knocked on the door and came in. “Liri! You-your” stuttered Morris. His hands flew through his hair. “Spit it out, Morris!” Mary snapped. “Your parents are here.” 

The impact of those words made Liri blank out. She did not comprehend the world around her in that moment. 

Much time passed since the news got to Liri. Without a knock, Amelia came into her room. “Liri… Some individuals are here to greet you.” Shaky, Liri stood. She made power with her stance. She swept out of the room and as she came out, she said something that made Amelia smile. “After all this time, they finally sprouted some courage.” 

“Liri! We have missed you!” Liri’s mother screamed unconvincingly. “We have brought news!” belched her father. Liri listened intently. “We have found Abraham Kochnail. The second richest man in this town. He is twenty-eight years young. He will be your husband.” 

Liri exploded. “I waited for you, for many years! And you appear now, to pawn me off?” She came down crashing. “Unbelievable for even you. I detest you, and your plans for me. Leave at once.” She stood and banished them.

Arrangements were made; Liri was now lovingly restricted by a husband, Morris, and she loved him unconditionally. They became kindred to one another, and believed in the equality of all people. No Hierarchy. She had two kids, Max and Fredi. She still wanted to feel free. She loved her children and her husband, but she needed time to think. To accomplish this want, she left one night, much like her own parents did, but for different intentions and results. She left to find herself. She left everything, and everyone, to become someone much like Amelia without even realizing it. She never returned, because she knew that if she did, she’d have to rebuild what was already a steady foundation.



May 30, 2020 20:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.