Flawlesss Execution

Submitted into Contest #170 in response to: Write about a plan that goes wrong, for the better.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Suspense

The perfect plan must consider everything, be efficient in its execution and effective in attaining its intended result. Detective Holloway was well versed in destroying seemingly perfect plans, bringing to light those who use their cunning for wickedness. He was indeed the finest detective the city of Existence had ever seen with not a single case unsolved in his long career. No one knew how he did it, some said he was simply talented, others said he was just lucky and they could have very well solved the case themselves easily. The most daring of all even said that the Detective had made some deal with the devil. Either way, the Detective found great pride in his accomplishments and silenced any one who dared spread misguided rumors about his person.

The Detective arrived at the scene just before noon, just as the main force was clearing out the small house where a homicide had taken place. The Detective and his three subordinates entered the house. The house was just as any other suburban house of the city, just this one was characteristically dingy and dark. Officer Snobb, one of the Detective’s subordinates, attempted to reach for the light switch in one of the walls, but the Detective as if anticipating his move, swiftly warned him to not touch anything and ordered to trio to stand by the bedroom’s door. As usual, the three followed the orders without hesitation. For hours they watched as the Detective analyzed every single nook and cranny of the house until finally, entering the bedroom where the victim’s remains were located.

The trio fought to contain their excitedness while the Detective opened the door; they were eager to see Detective Holloway’s genius unfold before them to solve yet another case. But this time it would not be, for the Detective quickly slammed the door shut before anyone else could enter. The officers did not lose their hope however, and decided to wait outside for their Detective.

Hours passed by; the bells of the a nearby clocktower rang thrice, indicating that noon was ending. The impatience of the subordinates turned into boredom. Officer Hobby, the most outspoken of the trio, in an effort to lighten the weight, proposed that they review the case. Officer Thinkerton, who was standing in the middle agreed without hesitation. Officer Snobb, the third of the group, in a rare move succumbed to Officer Hobby’s proposal without much struggle. And so, the three subordinates began their retelling of the case.

The case according to the three officers

Officer Hobby began.

-So, first comes the victim. She was really odd this one; spent most of her day inside, left occasionally at night to a yet undetermined location. She did not have much contact with anyone else; a background check was run twice and both times it yielded the profile of a very boring individual.

-Indeed, Officer Snobb corroborated, the victim lacked an own mind, a higher purpose to serve, instead choosing a life mundanity and sedentarism. To waste such a precious life like that…

Officer Thinkerton did not like the overly pompous tone Snobb used so he quickly interjected to cut the incoming monologue:

- Anyways, the most shocking fact about this case is not the victim herself, but the circumstances surrounding her death. No suspect has been found, no motive has been deducted, and what’s most surprising, the body was found surrounded by feathers of all colors and types.

Officer Snobb was deeply offended at Thinkerton’s audacity. The situation escalated further when Officer Hobby and Officer Thinkerton kept discussing the case until the former cracked a joke and laughed at it himself. Officer Snobb hated when that happened and just the smallest giggle from Hobby made his blood boil.

Irritated at having his reflections interrupted, he turned rapidly to talk face to face with Officer Hobby, but instead he saw Officer Thinkerton muttering incoherently with one hand on his chin. This was the last straw for Officer Snob.

A loud quarrel soon began among the three officers. So loud in fact, that it forced the Detective to finally step out.

The Detective Solves the Case

The loud voice of Detective Holloway shook the foundations of the small house. His large body eclipsed the doorway, inspiring respect in the hearts of the Officers who quickly resumed their formation in front of the Detective. With a grin of satisfaction, the Detective marched back into the room, put a hand on the window opposite of the door, and solemnly stared outside. His three subordinates were left puzzled but none dared to say a word. Moments passed before the bells of the clocktower rang four times, announcing the arrival of the moon in the sky. Outside, darkness started to consume everything. Only then the Detective looked up and began speaking:

-Throughout most of my life I have known only one purpose, to serve as an instrument as an instrument of justice against those who attempt to evade the consequences of their wrongdoings. For many years I was successful and the completion of my duty brought me much pride and recognition. But now I feel is all fading away, the truth slips before me, and my duty here has yet to be completed. I look to you and ask, why?

The Detective kept his gaze fixed on the ceiling while reciting his cold words. No one in the room answered until I realized the words were addressed to me, the author, his creator. Certainly, I was perplexed at this turn of events because no such thing was planned for this narration. Instead of fixing this deviation immediately, I decided to heed in the words of the Detective.

-Detective Holloway, your purpose was not to serve as an “instrument of justice,” but to simply serve as the instrument in my now distorted narration. Yes, your life was quickly conjured with a few lines and within a few lines it shall end.

Admirably, the Detective seemed unfazed by this revelation. In fact, he answered more firmly than before.

-The circumstances surrounding my creation are irrelevant; I feel real. You may reduce a whole life to a single line, but you will never erase the emotions I have passed on. I am as real as you.

The final words of the Detective caused a commotion within me. It was a huge mistake to allow him to impose himself before the story, but there is always a way to reverse it. Yet the Detective did not allow me to fully grasp the meaning of his words:

-My failure here to finish my duty is in fact not mine at all. It is thanks to your lack of wit that all plans you had for this narration crumbled so fast. And it is thanks to you that I am allowed to act and carry on with this story.

He let a moment pass before delivering his final sentence.

-Am I your creation, or are you mine? It is through me this story lives on, your hand a mere puppet that dances to all my whims.

The Detective was right. It was his nature to always see the truth, as I had planned him to do so since beginning. The story was really his from the start; the three officers, the case, the house- all were tailored to see him become successful.

Unfortunately for the Detective he is still a work of fiction, an idea briefly materialized to serve a single purpose. He shall feel what those who wrongly believe they are in control do: idleness, for no author will ever allow their creations to best them. This time I’ve got a plan and I will stick to it.

Conclusion

The three officers stared wide eyed as Detective Holloway so passionately spoke with the ceiling, not moving a single muscle save for his mouth.

Officer Hobby was the first to break the silence among the Officers. He was surprised at the turn of events, but said it failed to arouse any excitement in him, and that he found the monologue rather boring. He cracked another joke as he left the house giggling to himself.

 Of the two officers left, Snobb was the first one to speak. Officer Snobb sharply criticized the words and tone the Detective used in his monologue before stating that he would have done much better. Ultimately, he lost all respect for the Detective and decided to leave the house. On his way out he finally examined the decorations along the walls, which made him feel disgusted he ever decided to set foot on that house.

Officer Thinkerton was the last one. He stayed longer and watched as the Detective stared through the window at the darkness outside. Thinkerton reflected on the monologue and wondered who the Detective was talking to. Finally, the thought of having someone else orchestrate his life made him feel uneasy and so exited the house silently, hoping to forget what he had seen that day.

With no one to witness his immense astuteness, the Detective saw no reason to keep working on the case. He too left the house to wander purposeless through darkness beyond.

And so, in the city of Existence there is a very peculiar case that remains unresolved.

November 04, 2022 22:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.