0 comments

Science Fiction

I will explain why I took this decision and don’t regret it. I am also going to explain how time travel works.


During my entire life, I was always interested in time travel, however, I was not more than an “aficionado,” never to become a real professional. You have to be an actual genius to be taken seriously and be part of the SITTS, the biggest and only real center dedicated specifically to time travel. I was intelligent enough to know I was not intelligent enough to work there.

Up until the time this idea crossed my mind for the first time, I had had a very happy life–I couldn’t complain at all. I was very family oriented; we were all very united. I had a lot of friends that I spent time with. My childhood was the best I could’ve had. I had a couple of girlfriends during my youth and early adulthood, which was the cherry on top.

But it’s when you get older that you realize maybe your future is not going to be the happiest of all. My friends got married and we’d spend less time together until there was a point where we stopped communicating entirely. My relatives started to die: my grandparents, my aunts, my uncles, and my mom. I started to miss the “good old days,” you know. Everything got worse when my partner died. She was not able to give me a family, but I loved her so much. I never felt so alone before.

My days were spent working at a university as a teacher. I was very good at physics, one of the best in the area. I spent all day reading about all the sciences that make time travel possible. I wrote my own books and articles. Still not good enough for SITTS. I couldn’t even conduct my own experiments–only those that SITTS had licensed are allowed under rigorous rules since it could be dangerous. I didn’t see a purpose in this anymore. I loved it, but I got stuck and there was no way out. I didn’t see a purpose in life anymore either, so that is why, on September 17th, 2098, I decided to get on the ride. I decided to time travel. This is taken as a form of a “cool” suicide.

I am going to give a brief, but clear explanation of how it works, or how I think it works–since I never had access to the real documentation for not being part of the already, widely mentioned center throughout this writing. Over my 40 years of active life, I discerned everything through my own studies.

The first thing you have to understand is that there is no way back. That is something the personnel at SITTSO–a subdivision of the SITTS–let us know in their thorough explanation. Everybody already knows this, but the contract we have to sign states very clearly that we’ve been told this by licensed scientists at SITTSO. So it’s more a protocolary thing.

They provide you with the necessary equipment for time travel: a special suit, two atomic clocks, and a bracelet. They take a sample of your DNA which will be forever stored in the DNA vault at SITTS. This is to keep a record of every human being that decided to time travel since you won’t longer be part of this reality. This is a special vault. See, when you go into time travel, and decide to quit this reality, technically, you never existed, so your atoms start to disappear. This vault will preserve those atoms. If a sample ever gets out of there without special equipment, bye-bye to that record.

Everything was ready. It’s fair to say I was nervous, very nervous. There is a 0.9x10^-1000000% chance of failure. No one knows what happens when it fails. The chance is so low, scientists had long since decided to stop focusing on that (and with that, it remains the second most important question without an answer.)

When the countdown started–30 seconds,– the scientists recited the Human Race Creed, a writing that symbolizes the union, prevalence, and advance of the human race –it brought a tear to my eye I must say. They recited it in the form of a song, as if it was a choir. It was one of the most beautiful things I ever lived. I had heard the Human Race Creed so many times before, but when being sung to you at that last moment is just a totally different experience. Now you appreciate the beauty and importance of its words.

Now, a little bit of explanation, when you decide to go time travel, you are removed from the “original” reality and put into a copy of it. Have you heard of the Butterfly effect, where even the smallest shift can have a great impact later on? Well, if we decided to go to the past using the original reality, even a small change–a coin flip happening in the other part of the world not having the original outcome–could change the future in a dramatic way. So, you are just sent into a copy of it and it doesn’t matter what you do in it, nothing will change in the real one.

Yes, everything around you is “alive,” let’s put it that way, but in the end, everything is a copy. People around here don’t hold a soul anymore. (Whether you believe in humans having a soul or not, I thought including this example would help quite a lot to understand this better.) You still hold yours though, and until the day you die, you will still have it. What happens after you die? That is the most important question still awaiting to be answered.

Now, what about the items we were given? Well, the special suit is very straightforward to discern; we’ve seen in movies hundreds of times that humans need special suits for every not normal exploration they do–explorations to space, explorations to the depths of the ocean, explorations to mines or caves, whatever it is. When you are time traveling, to keep it simple, your atoms are shifted everywhere around. The suit helps to keep them in a single place, otherwise, it would be impossible to reconstruct you on the other side. If we could look at it while we are in the process, we could see it as if a bottle full of sand was being shaken–the grains of sand would be swirled around in the bottle. The same happens to you inside that special suit.

The two clocks are used to give a real insight into time. They are not common clocks, they are atomic clocks, the most precise clocks in the universe, as SITTS puts it (I am put off by the humans' arrogance to think we are the only creatures in the universe). I am going to explain it this way, there is a weird phenomenon called the Observer effect, where, simply put, things at the quantum level behave as they are supposed to when they are being watched. Something similar happens with time. Look, when you time travel, everything gets twisted and there is a mess in time. You would not know what time it is or what year you are in. All clocks and calendars around the world would be marking different times and dates. In other words, you would lose track of time. And because of how time travel works, you cannot travel through time as you would expect. For example, you will want to go to the year 2000, but end up in the year 2000 BC; because, how are you going to go to the year 2000 if you don’t know what year you are in? How do you know you are not already in the year 2000?

When you have two atomic clocks, time will not be lost. The reality you are in will be automatically adjusted to these clocks.

Why two and not just one? If we had only one, the same phenomenon would happen to that one clock and we’d have a similar outcome where time has gone off track. With only one clock, all clocks and calendars would mark the same hour and have the same date, but it would be wrong. All calendars around you might mark the year 2050, but you may actually be in the year 1950, and that’d be because the clock would’ve been twisted, and that reality would’ve been adjusted to that wrong clock. When there are two or more clocks “staring” at each other, observing one another, this phenomenon doesn’t happen, and everything is as it’s supposed to be.

The bracelet is also very straightforward, with this you control where in the timeline you want to go. You mark the year, the hour, and you’re all set. Your location will be random if you have not lived in that part of the timeline before–let’s say, 10 years before you were born,–if you have, just where you were at that time.

The bracelet is not difficult to use at all. I was scared at first that I would screw something up and end up trapped somewhere in a wormhole or something of the sort, but don’t worry, this is foolproof.

Now, there are two different approaches (or better said, views) when you go on time travel. The first one is actually living there. Let’s say you decide to go 10 years back, you can relive that part of your life in the flesh, you being you, controlling your own actions. The other one is as if you were watching everything from the outside of reality. You are there, but no one can see you–as if you were a ghost and were watching everything as if it was a movie. And yeah, you see yourself as well, but without controlling the actions you make anymore. You cannot go for the first approach if you didn’t live there. For example, I was not born yet in 1945; I went there and watched, from an outside-reality point of view, how the concentration camps were being emptied by the Allies. I think you get this.

I’ve gone back in time to when my family was still around and how it used to be when I was a kid, at Christmas time, and all of that. I decided to live the time I met Jenna again.

I know what is going to happen all the time, but still, I like to relive everything again.

In case you are wondering, yes, you still can change the future here, but since it is a copy, you can always go back to the “default.” I’ve sometimes changed the future for fun, I must admit, and reversed the time.

Other trips I’ve made, to mention some, were to New York City in 2001 to see the planes crashing against the Twin Towers; to the World Cup final in 1950 when a lot of people committed suicide after Brazil lost the final to Uruguay; to 1969 to see Apollo 11 take the first humans to the moon; to the Middle Ages in Europe; among other historic events.

The most interesting ones have been traveling to the Paleozoic Era, the Mesozoic Era, and the early stages of the Cenozoic Era. I went as way back as to what I believe was the Hadean Eon. The experience there gave me a lot of anxiety. I experienced a lack of air. It was just the impact it had on me. The only description I could give is as if a person with Megalophobia was to see something extremely big, for example, another planet very close to Earth. The level of anxiety they would experience would be such that they would struggle to take in air. Or as if you would swim in freezing water, and struggle to breathe. That’s what I felt because of how shocking all around was.

The last thing I want to recommend here is, if you are going to do this, do it well. Explore absolutely everything you can imagine. Do you know what I am planning to do? It is the craziest thing you will hear today, but I am planning to go back to the early stages of Earth's history. Go back to Hadean Eon (yes I am thinking of getting over my apparent phobia) and I am going to see the live action of every single day on Earth until the day I must die. I will experience something maybe only God has experienced before. See every single day of the planet Earth. 4560+ millions of years are ahead of me. It might get boring, it might not, but I will do it nonetheless.


My only concern now is, how am I supposed to send this to the reality I come from? Will I be able to find a bridge or something? I don’t know, but I have unlimited time to figure it out.


Good travels, everyone!


  • Phil.



SCIENCE INSTITUTE FOR TIME TRAVEL SPECIALISTS

DESCRIPTION: UNKNOWN SCRIPT

NUMBER OF PAGES: THREE AND A HALF

AUTHOR: UNKNOWN

ORIGIN: UNKNOWN

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH

TRANSCRIPT: NO

ATTACHMENTS: NONE

DATE: 09172098-174423

TYPE: CLASSIFIED

RESTRICTION: HIGH


May 06, 2023 02:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.