6 comments

Romance

'Was this a giant mistake ?' She wondered out loud. He was so handsome. Had graduated with honours from the most prestigious Harvard University. Earned a decent livelihood from his teaching job. No known addictive habits. Seemed like a perfect match for her. But, something was amiss. And she couldn't pinpoint what it was.

She was a simple girl with simple dreams. Having graduated from the municipal college, she had taken up a job at the local preschool. Working with children helped her revive a childhood she never really had. Having lost her parents when she was only 5, she had quickly learnt to adapt to the ever-changing life of a girl bounced from one foster home to another. She refrained from making friends lest she loses them.

Now the time had come to finally make an acquaintance for life, if not for herself, at least for the sake of those loud-mouthed colleagues and neighbours.

So a friend had suggested using a dating app, which ended up matching her with this charming young lad. Shawn was his name.

Decked in a blue chiffon dress and high heels, she gracefully entered the 'Resto' cafe at the agreed time. He sat by a corner table, patiently waiting for her. Her little heart fluttered like a caged bird as she neared him. This was new, exciting and scary all at once. The app had only given her a brief description of him so that she could identify him. " Blue eyes, lovely smile, and a gentleman in blue" was all it said. His light blue shirt hugged his muscular frame. As she neared him, he gentle stood up smiling.

" Miss Rose I presume?"

"Yes. Mr Shawn?"

"Yes, mam. Nice to meet you. Please sit down. You smell lovely."

No one had ever said that to her. Was this normal. Felt creepy. Why wouldn't he comment about her dress, or how she looked? ' You smell lovely!' Outrageous.

Uncertain, she took a seat.

"So, let me introduce myself. I am Shawn Michaels. I teach English at Harvard, my alma mater. I graduated with honours and decided to pursue my career there. I don't drink or smoke. I am a vegan. I do yoga. I love the opera. I play the violin. Single, never married. My parents live in West Virginia with my two brothers. So, tell me something about yourself."

A pause.

Who talks so much about themselves on a first date. That too a blind date. Risky isn't it?

"Err...I'm Rosaline Shepard and I'm a preschool teacher."

A chiselled face, good manners, lovely smile, bright blue eyes. But those eyes; they seemed lost. He had never once really looked at her. Was he shy? Unlikely. Was this some sort of a routine for him? A twisted fantasy? That no woman was worth looking at?

" Shall we order something? Coffee?"

He signalled to the waiter.

He waited for me to order.

"A double shot espresso, please."

"A double shot espresso for the lady and a latte for me please".

As the waiter hurried off with our order he continued to muse.

"It's a bright sunny day today. The grass is warm, and the wind carries the aroma of bright blooming flowers. A fine day to meet someone special. Even the songbird broke into a joyful melody as I sat waiting for you. So what do you love to do? Any interests apart from caring for and playing with children?"

Was he mocking me? How dare he? So much for the poetic phrases.

"I read. Books have always provided me solace in tough times."

"That is excellent! Books are indeed our best friends! They transport us to a world full of dreams and possibilities. Be it The Bard or J K Rowling, stories inspire us. So, what are you currently reading?"

"Romeo and Juliet"

"Ah! One of Shakespeare's best works!

What's in a name?

That which we call a rose

By any other name

Would smell as sweet" he finished, quoting Shakespeare.

Romantic or crazy? He seemed to have something to say for her every single response. And never once did their eyes meet. She felt like she was talking to a beautiful talking wall.

Even the double shot espresso couldn't help her. Why wasn't he looking at her? Was it because he was too proud to look at a poor girl? Or did it not matter to him. His latte sat untouched on the table. Why simply order if you didn't want it? Feeling more and more unsettled, she left the cafe with a petty excuse of feeling sick.

It had been his best date ever. Women never really looked at him with love. It was more often pity than longing in their eyes. He could feel their sympathetic glances burn holes on his back.

He knew the moment she entered the cafe as the air rich with the smell of coffee, suddenly had a hint of lavender in it. The aroma tingled his senses. Her light steps and the whirl of her chiffon dress about her told him she was dainty and gentle. A preschool teacher. Someone good with kids can't have a bad heart.

Few words, an elegant silence. A woman who knew her words' worth. Well read, and knew what she wanted. The order was only for a coffee, but she hadn't hesitated a moment.

He had only heard and read about love. The bard had gone to great lengths describing it. His poor heart had started racing like a horse the moment that lavender aroma had hit his nose. He was excited and happy. Unsure how to stop his hands from trembling in joyous excitement he had decided to leave his latte untouched. They said love, at first sight, was possible. Well in his case, it was mostly, love at first meet.

Unfortunately, she had fallen sick and had to leave. But before he could reach for his cane, and walk her home, she was gone.

It was her first blind date.

For him, every date had been the same, blind.

August 25, 2020 19:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

River Russell
22:19 Sep 02, 2020

At first I thought it was going to be a cliche sort of story, (though I am one to talk haha), but then it started seeming as if he was creepy. The entire time I tried to guess or make a hypothesis about the ending, but I was so far off. In the end I felt so bad for Shawn! You did a wonderful job and you are great at writing, keep at it!

Reply

18:55 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you for your love and support!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
22:57 Aug 30, 2020

This was funny, I really liked it. You did an awesome job with the two different perspectives.

Reply

05:39 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
10:30 Sep 21, 2020

Woah!!! I didn't expect that ending!!! That was an incredibly touching story, thank you for writing it!!!

Reply

18:06 Sep 21, 2020

Thank you for your kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.