5 comments

Contemporary Crime Drama

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives . But what happened may you ask? A tragic thing a thing that is so unimaginable to the human mind except one, an outcast a weirdo a phyco is what they would call them,…….but who? Well let’s start at the beginning shall we?

It was the summer of 84’ the young couple embraced in each other’s arms explicitly in love with one another in the early morning hours nothing else matters in that moment, nothing . They were watching their favorite show The Cosby show a series of the century.

Mark was the truly cheerful upbeat one of the two. Always trying to make a joke out of something that is forbidden to amuse from. A selfless man had no desires except for the one thing most important in his life, Emily. But Emily, Emily was something else. She was vibrant and nice and eczquezent and…… depressed. She was depressed, depressed because nothing could make her happy after she lost the baby she faked it until she could make it.

But she could not be unhappy today, out of all days no…. she had to be happy. Right? It was the day of their wedding neither could sleep so that is why they were up so early but yet full of excitement for their big day. " Baby”, Mark said in a vibrant hastiness,” Come on my mom said she was gonna take you to the dresser to get your hair fixed up, well come on!” Emily was sitting on the bed thinking about how horrid his mom, Julie was going to be, she hated her guts but yet his mom seemed so unexplainably cocky that it made her wanna laugh sometimes. A real true laugh……. " Mark you know what an asshole your mom can be please just don’t make me spend this day with her out of all days , please.”

Mark knew his mom and he knew Emily both strong independent females with a lot of excruciating ideas about each other. Putting them together for a good hour wasn’t the brightest thing he has ever come up with. But his mind was made up. He was tired about the two fighting,”Emily, dear no you are going I am tired of this bullshit just stop you and my mother will go to the salon together and you will have a good time understand me?!” He could not let them ruin this day not for him and not for Emily. He felt himself getting hot he realized he was yelling.

" Fine”, she said in a cool tone,” but you don’t have to be such a dick about it.” She was surprised by him speaking to her like that over a course of 3 years he had only ever yelled once, twice, maybe and that is a big maybe three times.

" I am going with your mom and I will be as nice as possi-” she got cut off by a loud BANG! They both looked at each other with big scared eyes. " W-w-w-what was that?” exclaimed Emily tears welling up in her eyes. " Emily shut up do you wanna die?” Mark said quietly. " If I die you are going down with me” ,said Emily with tears rolling down her cheek, “plus it is most likely nothing maybe ju-” Another BANG louder this time coming from the front door. " Emily hi-” Another BANG they heard the front door open footsteps shuffling in quietly but clumsily.

“Emily I need you to climb out the window and run, run like hell and don’t look back, don’t you dare look ba-” Emily cut him off in mid sentence, “Baby I know I love you ok?” She climbed out the window and never looked back she heard a gunshot but still never looked back. That’s what she told the police. Her story never changed but she was never remorseful and there was no pain in her voice when she talked about it. But they thought it was because she was depressed a tragic loss made her stone cold. But did it really?

The reason why she was traumatized scared out of her mind was because she thought that the killer would come for her too. She knew Mark was dead but she wanted to go back see if maybe he was still alive. She ran, she ran faster than her feet would allow her. She thought the killers were gone. She knew they were gone. Right? "Mark!!!" she yelled as she approached the house. She heard nothing she went in stupidly. " Baby, BABY, where are you!"

She tripped over something....... a gun. "What the fuck who would just leave this here?" She saw something move in the shadows. Something slim and fast. It wasn't a man. " Julie!?" Emily called out remembering she was coming to pick her up. " Julie are you here? If so stop trying to funcking scare me for god's sake your not goi-" She slammed into something hanging from the ceiling. Looking up she saw him. Her one true love the only person who ever even kept her from assassinating herself. " MARK ba- no please please please baby OH MY GOD who did this to YOU BABY?" Her words turned into a slur but she knew the killer was in the house she had to be quiet.

She collected herself in a disturbed manner. Anger and hatred in her eyes. She turned to her lover and said in a relaxed tone, " I'ma kill those motherfuckers."

She knew the killers where still in the house by the way the floorboards creaked above her. She grabbed the gun she found on the floor and walked toward the stairs. " I know you are here", she said aloud with compassion " I won't call the police I just wanna know why you killed my husband," she said that sentence so calmly it surprised her. She new she had to kill, she new she had to run away after, and she new she had to get revenge. All those thoughts and emotions inside her made her angry and sad. She couldn't live with herself if she had killed someone.

She knew that she wasn't a killer. But she had nothing to live for no baby, no husband, really no one to truly love her. She walked back down the stairs to where her soon to be husband was hanging. " Hey baby," she said tears welling up in her eyes, " it's ok", she smiled sobbing now a big nice real smile, " I am going to be with you now. She heard the front door open Mark's mom Julie came inside. " Emily what the hell put the gun down!!!" Emily pointed the gun up to her head.

" EMILY NOOO!!!!!!!!"

By then it was too late.

November 13, 2020 22:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Aubrey Maria ✌
17:44 Dec 03, 2020

Write more!

Reply

Ahmia Peters
15:59 Dec 10, 2020

I will

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Morris
21:22 Nov 25, 2020

I like the story. You did a good job with the descriptions and grabbing my attention—one piece of advice... punctuation. Work harder at it. It will improve the power of your storytelling.

Reply

Ahmia Peters
15:59 Dec 10, 2020

I will I am only twelve lol but I will certainly try

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ahmia Peters
22:09 Nov 13, 2020

This is my very first story on here so I really hope you like it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.