Daycare, After Hours

Submitted into Contest #194 in response to: Write a story inspired by the phrase “The plot thickens.”... view prompt

56 comments

Contemporary Sad Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

CW: References to miscarriage/domestic violence/injury


***


It's five minutes before six o'clock when Daphne bids the girl and her father goodnight. From the daycare's entrance, she watches them drive off into the dark winter evening. When they're out of sight, she sighs and returns to Wesley, the only thing standing between her and going home.


"Welp, just you and me now, kiddo," she says.


It isn't an unfamiliar situation. Among the daycare staff, Wesley Dawson's mother is known for two things: being a single parent, and arriving chronically late to pick up her son. The former they discovered upon Wesley's enrollment in the daycare. The latter realization came a few weeks after, when they factored the late fees into her bill.


Wesley looks up from his spot at the coloring table. His eyes, the same watery shade of blue as the crayon in his hand, meet hers for only a moment. Then he returns to his book. On the page Daphne can see a sun, an ocean, a family of smiling dolphins, all of which are blue. Beside the smallest of the three dolphins, the child, Wesley draws a lumpy speech bubble and begins writing something. He's painfully slow, constantly consulting the alphabet chart on the wall. And even then, his letters come out too crooked for Daphne to read, so she occupies herself by tidying up the room: pushing in chairs, sweeping crumbs from the tables, returning discarded toys to their bins. 


By the time she finishes—6:05, five minutes after closing—Wesley has moved on to a picture of a bumblebee, also blue. In this time, there's been no sign of headlights in the parking lot, which is empty except for her car and the daycare manager's. No breathless "I'm on the way" phone call from Wesley's mother. Nothing.


The silence makes Daphne feel like she's babysitting a ghost instead of a child, so she saunters over to the bookshelf. "How about story time, Wesley?" she asks, gliding her fingers along the sticky spines. "You and me. What do you say?"


Wesley's response comes in the form of his crayon, now barely a nub, scraping against the bumblebee's paper wing. 


Undeterred, she plucks a dog-eared book from the shelf, clears her throat, and says in her gruffest storyteller's voice, "Once upon a time, there were three little pigs."


Before she can go any further, Wesley stops her.


"I heard this one already," he says without glancing up. His voice is cotton soft, but the tone possesses all the curtness of an overworked waiter. Daphne recalls he was the only one who couldn't sleep during nap time this afternoon. Crankiness is to be expected. She can handle that.


"Okay." She replaces the book, grabs the one next to it. "Once upon a time, there lived two children named Hansel and—"


"Heard it," he says, dragging his fist so hard against the paper that the dolphin family is probably getting a second helping of Crayola. And again for "Cinderella" and "Rapunzel" and even "Snow White," which she has never read during story time for fear the children might start calling each other dwarfs. It occurs to her that crankiness is easier to handle at the beginning of a work shift than the end of one.


Something else occurs to her, too.


In the wake of Wesley's protests, a single book remains on the shelf. She yanks it free, careful not to reveal the little girl with the red cloak and the bread basket on the cover. Not that he's paying attention to her; he's too busy reinterpreting the color of an American black bear.


"Once upon a time, there lived a woman," she begins, slowly. It's a generic enough opener, impossible for Wesley to pinpoint its origin or plot. And then there's the allure of that grown-up word: woman. So unlike the other childish tales about boys and girls. She isn't even sure she should be telling him this story, but then, finally, he cocks his head in her direction and the feverish pace of his coloring slows, so she continues.


"Growing up, the woman loved her mother very dearly, and wanted nothing more than to have a child of her own one day, so she could show them the same amount of love and affection. Then, one day, her mother suddenly died—"


Daphne has a sudden sensation, like walking across a sheet of thin ice. She can see the ground around her fissuring under the weight of that word, too much for a five year old to process: died. The ice beneath her feet hisses.


"Dyed her hair." She backs up and narrowly avoids sinking into the watery depths. "She got it changed to a really icky color that the woman was allergic to."


"What color?" Wesley asks. He's looking at her now, his blue-black bear abandoned.


Daphne thinks for a moment. "Green. Like, vegetable-green."


Wesley shudders, nods his head understandingly.


"Because the woman was allergic, it meant she couldn't see her mother anymore. But before her mother dyed her hair, the woman promised her she would be a good mother, just like her."


She flips to the next page for dramatic effect.


"Then, one day, the woman met a man she believed to be a prince. He was handsome, with beautiful golden hair and beautiful blue eyes."


The hair dye lie has opened the floodgates for other embellishments. Daphne realizes this, realizes that the prince in this story—her ex-husband—has neither of those beautiful features, that she's describing Wesley's traits so he'll pay closer attention. 


"They fell in love instantly, the woman and the prince. She believed this was the man who would help her keep her promise to her mother. The man who would give her someone of her own to love."


She sees Wesley's focus wane. His eyes drop momentarily to the bear. It's not a shock that the boy wouldn't care for the love story bits, but it stings a little. Still, she turns the page, fast-forwarding.


"The problem is, the woman couldn't have a child. They tried, and it almost happened once, but it wasn't meant to be."


Wesley blinks. 


"Because of that, the prince drank a lot—of juice," she adds, proud of herself for turning this into a cautionary tale against sugar. "The juice made the prince angry with the woman. The prince liked to fight a lot."


Something inside Daphne shatters when she sees Wesley perk up and smile at the mention of fighting. It's the wrong kind of action to be excited about.


"Then what?" he asks.


"One time the princess fought back," she lies.


"There's a princess?"


"The woman, I mean," she says, although she wonders now why she gave her ex-husband such a dignified title while making herself a generic, everyday woman. "She fought back and she won."


Wesley nods his approval as Daphne skips several pages until she reaches the final one.


"Then the man left and never came back. The End."


It's easier telling this sanitized version of the story, scrubbed clean of the unsavory specifics. Simpler than the version she's told her therapist. Not as much yelling. Not as much cursing. Fewer bruises. But her therapist was right: talking about it does make her feel a little better.


"Wait," Wesley says. "What about the woman? She never did her promise."


"Nope, she didn't," Daphne says. "She learned she didn't need to have kids of her own to be happy. That she could be a mother in other ways."


"So what happened to her?" Wesley asks. So used to the standard endings.


"She lived happily ever after," Daphne says with a smile. But she can't tell whether or not that's one of the embellishments.


Wesley flops in his seat as though he's had a hearty Thanksgiving meal. He even lets out that satisfied "Ahh," the way the other children do after a good story time.


She returns the book, clears her throat again. "Would you like a juice box?"


Wesley straightens immediately, the model of perfect posture, but his smile betrays him. Despite the role of juice in the story, even he knows that getting two juice boxes in one day is unheard of. She hands it to him. Before anyone can change their mind, he snatches the straw from its plastic binding, thrusts it down like an astronaut planting a flag on the moon. The noise of it all, much louder than expected, makes Daphne jump. It takes her a moment to realize the source of the sound is neither the straw nor the boy but a knock at the door. Wesley's mother. Twenty-two minutes late, but hey, who's counting?


The knock comes again, from behind her instead of the front entrance, and the daycare manager, Josephine, pops her head in. Her usual grin is absent. Behind her glasses, her eyes are a blistery shade of red. A pang of guilt overcomes Daphne when Josephine surveys Wesley and the mythical second juice box. But a second later her gaze finds Daphne's, and the disappointment Daphne expects to see is replaced by something doleful.


"Good evening," she says with a tight-lipped smile. Not one to waste time, she adds, "Can you come with me for a moment, Ms. Lamont?"


"Certainly," Daphne replies. "I still have Wesley here with me, though."


"Yes," Josephine says, as though the word is an afterthought. Her eyes can't seem to choose a place to focus between Daphne, Wesley, the bookshelf, the toy bin, the crayons. "Well," she says, and her tone tells Daphne that something is wrong. 


"Wesley," she says, "I have to talk with Mrs. King. Would you like to come with me?"


It's a trick question. For all Wesley's silence, Daphne knows he hates being left alone. Same reason he always asks for someone to go with him to the bathroom. Same reason why he grabs his juice box in one hand now and latches onto Daphne's hand with his other, gripping her so tight that her skin pinkens.


Josephine peppers him with about twenty questions on the fifteen second trip from the classroom to her office. He says nothing. It's a small victory for Daphne, that Wesley feels more comfortable talking to her than her boss. 


"Can you be good and wait here while me and Mrs. King talk?" Daphne says, giving Wesley's hand a squeeze. He nods and flumps into the chair beside Josephine's office, juice box perched unsteadily between his legs, feet dangling above the floor. 


The office is pastel-bright, meticulously designed to put its occupants at ease. The walls are patterned in cloying blue zigzags, adorned with certificates and pictures of sea animals: manatees, dolphins. Daphne can count on one hand the number of times she's been in this office: the first for her interview when she was hired; the second a few years later, after her miscarriage, when she'd come to give Josephine her letter of resignation but lost her nerve; and the third when she asked for a week off following the divorce.


The cheeriness of the room seems to have no effect on Josephine, who flops down in the chair behind her desk. "Look, I'll be frank with you," she says, and her tone of voice is such a stark contrast from her usual bubbliness that Daphne feels as though she's sitting in some kind of makeshift principal's office.


"Did I do something wrong?" she asks, and hopes she doesn't sound guilty. Had Josephine heard the story she'd told Wesley?


Josephine exhales. "No, no. It's just"—And it's only now that Daphne notices the stack of enrollment papers on the desk, that she sees Wesley Dawson's name written on top—"I just got off the phone. Ms. Dawson has been in an accident. A car crash."


Which is exactly what the words feel like to Daphne: a collision, an impact. Even in her chair she feels her legs buckling, her stomach free-falling.


"Oh my God," she whispers, hand over mouth. "Is she all right?"


Josephine's expression darkens. "She's in the ER now. Critical condition, they said. That's all I was told."


The image isn't hard for Daphne to conjure, though she wishes it were: Nora Dawson the queen of the late fees, Nora Dawson the single mother, coming from her second job on the other side of town, desperate to pick up her son from daycare on time, running redlight after redlight until—


"What happens now?"


"I'm going to contact his next of kin to see about one of them coming to pick him up." Josephine glances at the papers in front of her, removes her glasses, pinches the bridge of her nose. "I'm sorry to put you through this, Daphne. Look, I can handle Wesley until someone shows up. You're free to go home."


Go home and do what? Make dinner, brush her teeth, wash her face, check Facebook, and then go to sleep, all while enduring the same deadly silence she and Wesley had shared earlier? No thanks. That's the thing no one ever mentions about divorce: how quiet everything can be afterwards, how lonely. How a house can be just as bad, even if you're the only one in it.


"If it's all the same to you, Josephine," she says, "I'd like to stay with him. At least until someone shows up. You don't have to pay me extra," she adds when she sees her boss's eyebrows furrow.


"You're sure?"


"I'm sure."


Josephine nods. Daphne stands and stops midway to the door.


"Should I tell him what happened?" she asks, and it's clear from Josephine's expression that neither of them know the right answer. "I trust your judgment" is what Josephine finally says. "Do what you think is right." Which feels even worse than a straightforward Yes or No, putting the onus on Daphne.


"Be safe," Josephine says, her usual farewell. And though that seems like an inappropriate statement for the situation, Daphne replies with her usual "You too" as she shuts the door behind her.


The hallway is quiet, save for Wesley's light snoring, his own personal nap time. His head is bowed, his arms noodled. The juice box, fallen and dented, now rests on the ground, liquid slowly trickling from the bendy straw. A small puddle has formed around Wesley's chair, perfuming the air with the sugar-sweet scent of wild cherry. For a brief, harrowing moment, Daphne imagines the boy as a castaway on an abandoned island, surrounded by red waves made of Capri-Sun, the lone survivor of a take-no-prisoners tragedy.


By way of distraction, she returns to her room and grabs her chair. She lugs it through the hallway and slides it through the sticky sea of juice until it's against the wall, side by side with Wesley's chair. Then she sits.


She loses track of time. Loses track of everything except the sound of Wesley's even breathing, in and out, in and out. The sound is so soothing, so effective at stanching the silence, that she almost doesn't notice when it stops and Wesley stretches his limbs. Still rubbing the dreams from his eyes, he looks around.


"Is my Momma here?" he asks. His voice, husky with sleep, grazes every inch of the hallway.


Four words have never held such weight for Daphne, not since "I want a divorce." The temperature in the hallway plummets a few degrees.


"Not yet, Wesley," she says, a force of habit, and then she thinks it's too late for her to tell him the truth. Better one of his relatives to do it anyway, someone closer, someone who knows him better. "I'm sorry."


"Oh." Followed by the soft flutter of his lashes, the downward slope of his dream-filled eyes.


In the absence of Wesley's snoring, Daphne can feel that dreaded silence creeping into their conversation, asserting itself. She searches for a way to combat it, shuffles through the mental Rolodex of exchanges she's had today, this week, looking for something she can talk about, something to buy time until someone shows up. The list of topics appear in compact rows: Games, Sports, TV, Food, until, at last, the entryway: Books.


"What did you write earlier?" she asks. "I didn't mean to spy on you, but I noticed you were writing something in the coloring book. With the dolphins. What did you have the little one say?"


Wesley leans back, stares at the ceiling. He looks as though he's sifting through forty years of memories instead of forty minutes. Through the door they can hear the edges of Josephine's plaintive, muffled voice. Then, like a match being lit, a sudden spark of remembrance.


"He was thanking his Momma and Daddy."


Daphne turns to him. "Thanking them for what?" she asks, her voice porcelain-fragile.


"For the swim," Wesley says, still looking up. "And for being there. And he said he loves them, even when they show up late sometimes."


A police siren whoops outside, startling Daphne. The moon is playing hide-and-seek behind a web of clouds. She heard something earlier on the news, something about snow. She thinks she can see a few flakes now through the window, seed-small. Wesley's family is coming, but it will never be soon enough. The juice on the floor soaks through her shoes. She scoots closer to him, a second island castaway, another survivor.


"Are you cold?" she asks, but that's not her real question.


"No."


"Are you hungry?"


"No."


"Do you have to go potty?"


"No."


"Would you like another story?"


He looks up at her, a blizzard of sleep and restraint swirling behind those crayon-blue eyes. Then it's gone. His eyes are closed, his head rolling against Daphne's arm in a nod, his ear tilted to her mouth. Yes, he would like another story. He deserves that much.


So she takes a breath and lowers her voice and begins the best way she knows how:


"Once upon a time, there lived a woman who loved her son very, very much."

April 22, 2023 03:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

20:04 Apr 25, 2023

This is really moving. Some kids have it rough and you paint this one as just so tender and innocent and deserving of care. The details are so vivid and textured. Really nice.

Reply

Zack Powell
21:38 Apr 25, 2023

Thanks, Anne. And yeah, it's unfortunate what some kids have to endure. Life's full of curve balls. I appreciate the read and the kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
03:15 Apr 25, 2023

Hey, Zack! I feel like I say this every time but your stories always hit me so hard. It's almost like there's a specific little section in my heart just for Zack Powell's stories. The piece itself is amazing as always, my favourite line being "Then, like a match being lit, a sudden spark of remembrance". Your grasp of delicate descriptions and emotive language is so very touching. Always a pleasure to read your work. Jasey

Reply

Zack Powell
20:46 Apr 25, 2023

Thank you very much, Jasey. Those hard-hitting stories are my favorite to write, so it's all kinds of wonderful to hear when they work. And your favorite line is one that I edited and re-edited, so it's good to know that the end result caught someone's eye. Thanks again, as always!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
04:23 Apr 28, 2023

You're most welcome! Looking forward to your next piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
01:26 Apr 25, 2023

Vivid is a great descriptor for this. Everything feels vivid. The setting, the emotional state of the characters, the plot. Every moment feels impactful. An intermingling of sadness and fulfillment that was a pleasure to read.

Reply

Zack Powell
18:59 Apr 25, 2023

Having just come from your story, RJ, I'm gonna throw that vivid compliment right back at you. I could've written this same comment about your story verbatim, I swear. It was great. Thanks for sharing this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carolyn Wayson
21:13 Apr 24, 2023

This is so great! I read over it two or three times and I just thought it was amazing. The way you just captured the innocence of Wesley and the way Daphne was trying to comfort him. Wow. I’m not super great at writing but even I can tell this is a good one. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Reply

Zack Powell
19:10 Apr 25, 2023

Thank you for the kindness , Carolyn, and especially for going through the labor of reading this looong story multiple times! Glad Wesley's innocence came through for you - I never know if it's too much or too little when writing child characters.

Reply

Carolyn Wayson
14:19 Apr 30, 2023

Yes, I always seem to struggle with that too. I’ll always write stories and then delete the whole thing. I also can’t seem to get my stories to 1000 words. Anyway, thank you for writing the story! It’s a fun read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
13:13 Apr 23, 2023

From being ’ the only thing standing between her and going home’ to a *survivor deserving of a new story*, Wesley is an innocent companion to Daphne as she works through her own sense of desolation and abandonment. The plot definitely thickens as she seems poised towards the end to provide more succour to him. What a beautifully developed story suffused with humour, compassion, innocence and embellished with beyond cute words, Zack! I have said this before and I will say it again, you have a secret alter ego with a mother’s soul lurking insi...

Reply

Zack Powell
04:37 Apr 24, 2023

Suma! Sometimes I feel like I don't deserve the kindness and praise you bring to your reviews. You're a generous soul. Especially glad the humour came through here; I was desperately trying to counterbalance the seriousness of the piece with a little levity. And it feels good to write about another mother character - it's been a while. Thanks again, for the read and for the thoughtfulness in your comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Naomi Onyeanakwe
07:01 Apr 23, 2023

Hi Zack, so good to see you here again. I'm late to this one, I have exams coming soon so uni has been pretty hectic. Honestly, all I can manage to say for this one is that your talent never ceases to amaze me. I haven't written anything in quite a while, not just on here but in general, but reading this story had me wanting to finish it quickly just so I could go and see if I could do something for this week's prompts. So if you see a story from me this week, know you and this story were a huge factor in that. Thank you for this piece, Za...

Reply

Zack Powell
04:29 Apr 24, 2023

Isn't it a great feeling, reading a story and then immediately wanting to write something of your own? There really ought to be a word for that - maybe there is one, in German or Japanese or something. Nothing quite like that sensation, I think, which I guess is my roundabout way of saying thank you for the kindness, Naomi. That's a very high compliment in my books, and I've got my fingers crossed for you this week, both in your exams and in posting a story on here. Good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
04:51 Apr 23, 2023

No Zackslaps this week, and it would be weird if there were, given the theme of your story. But let's talk about those descriptions that thrust the reader into the room with your characters... '...dragging his fist so hard against the paper that the dolphin family is probably getting a second helping of Crayola." "Wesley flops in his seat as though he's had a hearty Thanksgiving meal." "...he snatches the straw from its plastic binding, thrusts it down like an astronaut planting a flag on the moon." The foreboding tone made it difficult...

Reply

Zack Powell
04:32 Apr 24, 2023

Thank you as always, Wally. Thought about sneaking in a few lighthearted momets, but you're right: It just didn't jive with the theme, so here we are. I love that you singled out my favorite line of the story too (the astronaut simile). Got my fingers crossed that the story for this week, if I get off my butt and write it, is a little less foreboding, a little more upbeat. Thanks again!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
15:29 Apr 24, 2023

Either way, I'll look forward to reading it. I do like the prompts this week, but I'm out.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
22:33 Apr 24, 2023

The reason I love that line so much is because of the comparison of a huge flag being staked on this momentous occasion to this tiny juice box straw, but to Wesley the occasion is equally momentous (TWO juice boxes in one day!) My word, what is the world coming to. The juxtaposition was brilliant

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
00:47 Apr 23, 2023

Hi Zack. I work with kids, and have worked with the long day care kids too. What you have described is so believable and real. The child, Wesley, is so lifelike. I remember one kid, just as you described, whose parent was always late on pickup. Often it was just me and him, and I remember the quiet moments of stillness and tiredness that you have described so well . -The silence makes Daphne feel like she's babysitting a ghost instead of a child -Wesley leans back, stares at the ceiling. He looks as though he's sifting through forty years ...

Reply

Zack Powell
03:33 Apr 23, 2023

Thanks for such a thorough exegesis, Michelle, especially since you have day care experience under your belt. Gives me a good perspective of my story from an "insider" angle. Also, just wanted to thank you for getting just what I was going for with the shared pain between these characters, and especially for picking up on the castaway/abandonment theme. You are my favorite person of the day, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Thanks again for this. It helped me out tremendously.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:26 Apr 22, 2023

Wow, way to go Zack! I loved this story. I’m glad to see you writing again, and I look forward to your next submission!

Reply

Zack Powell
15:52 Apr 22, 2023

Thank you, Ms. Wafflez! Always very kind and generous with your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
12:49 Apr 22, 2023

We’ve all said it before, but you do such a wonderful job writing about children—the nuances in how they act and speak, how they answer questions, how they fixate on little things like the color blue—it’s all so believable. The lonely, quiet mood of the story was established right away simply by setting it up with a little boy left late at a daycare after everyone else has gone home. Though Wesley may not have understood how bad that feels, everyone reading already pities him. Great job. Some favorite lines: “"Dyed her hair," she corrects...

Reply

Zack Powell
17:03 Apr 22, 2023

I'm always beyond grateful when people say these children characters come across in any believable capacity, especially people who know more about how they behave than I do. It's a definite confidence (read: ego) boost. Kids are pretty smart, so it wouldn't surprise me if another four-year-old out there DOES know a thing or two about cemeteries. Just not the one you babysat.😂 (I will say, though, that'd make for a really fun short story. Hmmm.) Yeah, smell has to be the second-most underrated sense in fiction (taste being my number one). ...

Reply

Aeris Walker
17:17 Apr 22, 2023

Iron and tartar sauce...that scent combo is gonna stick with me for a while...

Reply

Zack Powell
17:53 Apr 22, 2023

The same goes for "stale kid breath." You can even smell it just by typing it out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
07:01 Apr 22, 2023

Hay - I mean hey! I'm gonna leave in the horsegirl-typo - that was pure accident x"D Okay, "arms noodled" is just the cutest phrase! And this story is heart breaking. Loved the little details, like how Wesley nods in understanding to leaving someone forever because they dyed their hair green, no questions asked! xD I also enjoyed the juice detail in Daphne's story - she was doing a good job to keep it child-friendly! It was especially tragic to get to the bad news after getting to know Wesley and Daphne . Somehow I felt it was coming, th...

Reply

Zack Powell
15:48 Apr 22, 2023

Suuuure, that hay was an "accident." xD Just kidding. Side note: I've been on a food word kick lately, and I don't know why. First it was "pretzeling" and now "noodled." Makes one hungry, doesn't it? I'm quite glad you got the "calm before the storm" feeling here. With a plot-thickening story, that's probably the right type of reader response. Also, you just know my story writing well enough to be able to guess when there's other things coming. You and I always seem to have the same favorite lines (the ice one and the embellishment one w...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
16:59 Apr 22, 2023

Right, you are into your food verbs! - you know diets don't work, if you're craving noodles, get some! Or don't, because it makes for some good writing. :D But now I'm hungry. I know that forever tweaking a line feeling..! Yours wasn't half as bad as the latests you've seen from me though, when I edited a sentences and left so many leftover parts in it it didn't even make any sense anymore - happy to make up for some of that labour LOL If - and that is an IF - everything goes to plan, I'll share something just before WP too that I'll defin...

Reply

Zack Powell
17:31 Apr 22, 2023

😭 The line tweak struggle is real. BUT I will say that there's no better feeling than getting a line that you've been working and reworking just right. It's like a weight being lifted. Or like stepping back right before the ice breaks and plunges you down. 😉 More than happy to read anything you want feedback on - short stories, contest entries, your novel. You just name it. The prompts lately have been a lot tougher than usual, I think. I've actually tried to write a story for the past three weeks, and got absolutely nowhere (as you can te...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
18:15 Apr 22, 2023

That's 100% accurate about getting lines right! And yeah, I'm also hoping they'll return to the funner prompts! Though, when I will have the time to post here too is a mystery! But as for the western - stop making excuses! Can't just wait around for a "start your story with a character saying "yeehaw!"" or "tumbleweed" prompts, the plot could thicken in the wild west too!🤠 ...but on the other hand, I totally understand, because somehow I've never gotten around to writing western either 😅 I wish I could say I'm sending you the novel..! No...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:19 Apr 22, 2023

Oh, how could you? How could you leave us like this? Draw such a complete story then leave it incomplete? You are hereby sentenced to a thickening plot. But thanks for liking my 'Trampled Dreams'. More of that ,too.

Reply

Zack Powell
18:17 Apr 22, 2023

Thanks, Mary. Enjoyed your Western, so I'm glad you found something that caught your eye here too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Steven Taylor
17:24 May 29, 2023

Incredible storytelling. I felt this one all the through. I love the way you make connections between things that otherwise share no connection - the Crayon and his eyes; the impending snow and what lies within his eyes. This is only the second story I’ve read of yours but, I am certain even now, I am a fan. I can’t possibly say anything sufficient to how this story moved me…

Reply

Zack Powell
20:28 May 29, 2023

Many, many thanks to you, Steven, for reading not one but three of my stories! That's going above and beyond the call of duty, and I appreciate it greatly. (Though fair warning: You're probably better off quitting while you're ahead - the stories only go downhill from here, since I was less experienced when I wrote them.) Still, I'm grateful, and it's nice that the crayon and snow connections weren't lost on you. Thanks again.

Reply

Steven Taylor
21:05 May 29, 2023

For what it’s worth - I plan to read each one…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
03:23 May 10, 2023

The story feels so authentic, so real! Your characters are so relatable and believable. The story was a joy to read despite the sadness it brings the reader.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
03:11 May 09, 2023

Hi Zack, As always, my dear friend, this is an excellent piece. I loved the way that you captured childhood innocence in this tail through Wesley and I also really enjoyed the way that your story balanced some of those bigger adult themes. You always do that so beautifully in your pieces. I think that your child care provider always knows a little bit more about you than you think that they know because children by their very nature don’t have a filter, and that can be a very powerful tool to understanding human nature. My favorite line was ...

Reply

Zack Powell
19:50 May 09, 2023

Thanks, Amanda. It's always a difficult balance, trying to marry adult themes with younger characters. Glad the humor worked here - didn't want this piece getting too dark and hopeless. I also love a good story within a story, so I'm happy to know that the one here worked for the better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
19:37 May 06, 2023

It is a blue, in color and tone, story- Daphne's loss of a child, of a husband is well told in her version of the fairy tale story. I thought you did a good job with Wesley's perspective, and his always wanting to be with someone has its own reasons. Good one!

Reply

Zack Powell
23:05 May 07, 2023

Thanks, Marty! Child perspectives are not my forte, so this is all kinds of reassuring.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
15:55 Apr 29, 2023

Damn, Zack. This story hits with the force of a wrecking ball, and it leaves a lot of dust and destruction in its wake as well. I can't begin to tell you how much I like this tale, nor how many lines grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me. The parallel stories of loss and abandonment was interwoven nicely throughout the story. The shared mess of the juice box, the island castaways, etc. Although subtle, they made the point: we're in the same boat, kiddo! Two of my favorite passages (but there are too many to list, unless I wan t to copy-a...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laurel Hanson
12:17 Apr 29, 2023

Beautiful story. The writing paints such crystal clear images in my head. Love: "Daphne has a sudden sensation, like walking across a sheet of thin ice. She can see the ground around her fissuring under the weight of that word, too much for a five year old to process: died. The ice beneath her feet hisses." - this just sets up so much more than the fact that she made a "mistake" with the word "died" - there is more going on. Love the vigor in "he snatches the straw from its plastic binding, thrusts it down like an astronaut planting a flag...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viga Boland
15:12 Apr 28, 2023

Such a touching story perfectly delivered. Rich with emotion to which readers can relate. The way you wove Daphne’s sad story into Wesley’s is masterful. Wonderful read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kelsey H
09:56 Apr 28, 2023

You are so great at writing children. It is hard to do I think, there's this line between having them too mature and so unbelievable, or too 'cute' and so kind of irritating. Wesley was so well written as a small child who is tired and just wants to go home, I especially loved his reaction to Daphne wanting to read to him, even though he doesn't have a lot of dialogue and is even asleep for some of the story he comes across equally as strongly as the other characters. I also loved the concept of a story within a story, being told as this f...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.