42 comments

Historical Fiction Romance Sad


Madam Pearl De Vere wanted me to look eye-catching on the night of the ball and provided a new gown for the occasion. Its hand-embroidered satin and plunging neckline flattered my slim waist and hips, without drawing excessive attention to my cleavage. I had no reason to advertise my wares.

   “Tighter, Eliza!” I said, as she strained behind me. “Pull with all your might!”

   “That’s as tight as tight can be, Miss Teresa.” 

By the time Eliza had secured all the laces and buttons, and powdered my tresses, it was time to leave, but not before Pearl inspected me.

   “One last touch, Tessie,” she said, wafting a perfume atomiser near my face. 

   I flinched as the acrid droplets stung my eyelids.

   “Hmmm…” she said, admiring her handiwork. “Maybe a bit more cleavage?”

   “Excuse me, miss,” said Eliza, cantilevering my bust. “This should do it.”

   “Perfect! We don’t want admirers thinking you’re a Mennonite.”

   “You’ll turn every head in the ballroom, miss.”

   “Remember, you’re still on the game, my dear.”

   “Miss Teresa,” said Mister De Vere in his falsetto whisper, “don’t you wish to see what you look like?”

   “No,” I said, eager to take my leave and be with Gabriel. In a matter of days, he’d be out of my life, and the thought of taking another lover was repugnant.

   “Pearl, what will happen when Gabriel leaves London?”

   “I’ll have to find you another gentleman.”

   “And if I don't want one?”

   “Then, my dear,” she said, hardening her voice, “there’s always the street.”

   My trembling lips said more than I could utter as my head drooped.

   “We need willing girls here, Tessie. Now, chin up, smile, and be enchanting.”

   A carriage was waiting outside. Mister Bartholomew, dressed in a crimson frock-coat, opened the door and offered his hand. I told myself not to think about Gabriel's departure, but to concentrate on the moment. If I wanted a reminder of the fate of girls who were not under the roof of a good madam, then I only had to glance out of the carriage window. The Floral Street ladies were awake for business, blossoming like exotic urban florets amidst acres of fetid metropolitan compost. 

   Gabriel greeted me with a bow outside The Haversham Ball. Mister Bartholomew followed in my wake as we drifted up the sandstone steps and through the crowds gathered in the entranceway.

   “Do you need a bodyguard, Tessie?” he asked, lifting my hand to his lips. 

“I promise not to kidnap you.”

   “I don't think I'd mind if you did, sir.”

   “What is he protecting you from?”

   “Myself.”

Gabriel looked so handsome with his clothes on. He wore a navy-blue velvet coat with silver embroidery on the front, a light grey waistcoat, and a white stock tie at his neck. I knew we made a striking couple by the glances that came our way. Pearl’s choice of gown was demure in comparison to others, and far more tasteful. There were ladies who wore their wigs high with powdery white faces, but when they smiled, deep crevices appeared, and brownish teeth and gums. I imagined their scalps covered with flaky, scaled flesh and open sores. They might have elevated themselves in society but were rotten to the core.

   Gabriel bowed to the many acquaintances who greeted him, but never paused for introductions. He took me to a raised semi-circular nook that overlooked the dancefloor. However, relaxing next to him, I noticed our seats were designed to view the guests opposite more than the couples dancing. Each private enclosure offered its own elaborate performance; trendsetting gentlemen perched and preening themselves like prize-poodles and ladies, painted like parakeets, fluffed up their plumage with ungainly affectations. Gabriel clasped my hand with a playful squeeze.

   “You look anxious,” he whispered, caressing my neck with his lips.

   “I’ve never been to a ball,” I told him.

   “You outshine all the ladies here,” he said, nodding at the envious crowd eyeing us from their eyries. “No doubt they’ll have their hairdressers mimic your style.”

   I laughed and cooled a warm flush with my fan’s gentle breeze. Gabriel extended his arm along the back of my chair and nestled up next to me. When the music started playing, the ballroom stayed ablaze with candlelight as if it was an invitation for the audience to continue chatting. The poor musicians were left to play their hearts out to overcome the noise of West End gossip.

   It took a medley of cheerful polkas before I realised, to my alarm, that we were being scrutinised by the ladies and gentlemen in the opposite nooks. One curious lady was peering at us over a shimmering fan and her companion viewed me with raised opera glasses as if I were a distant stage performer or fairground curiosity. 

   At that moment, our nook’s rear door burst open and in stumbled a slavering drunkard. His shirt was stained with yellowish drool and his face was pitted by pox scars. He doffed his tricorn as he stared at me and said, “My Gabriel, you’ve chosen well for once.”

   “Charles, allow me to---”

   “So, this is your betrothed, old boy?”

   Gabriel's face tightened, and he clenched his jaw as Charles helped himself to a glass of wine.

   “Rather gorgeous, although I don’t suppose she understands a word I’m saying.”

   “Charles! For pity’s sake---”

   “You said she was of aristocratic descent and we’d be lucky to meet her.”   

   “I never said any such---”

   “Too high up to mix with common city folk, I think you said.” He laughed at his own joke and, having finished one glass of wine, helped himself to another. “‘Ave you solved zee leetle problem with your forthcoming nuptials?” he said, enunciating each word with an affected French accent.

   Nuptials? My spine stiffened as I caught my breath.

   “The only way to make these Frenchies understand is to speak slowly.” 

   “You're drunk again, Charles,” said Gabriel through clenched teeth.

   “I’ll be as drunk as I please, brother,” he said, leaning on Gabriel’s shoulder. “Why don’t you introduce us?”

   The musicians had reached a natural pause as Charles’ words peaked in the ensuing silence. He straightened up, wobbling as he did so. “Well, brother? I’m all ears.” 

   The audience had become almost silent, and I noticed that we were the object of their attention.

   “Charles, may I introduce Miss Teresa Fitzpatrick? Tessie, my half-brother, Lord Charles Clifton.”

   Lord Clifton bowed unsteadily and would have fallen had Mister Bartholomew not caught him. “Fitzpatrick? Not French then?”

   I noticed Gabriel’s eyes had narrowed and his supple fingers curled into warlike fists. Stroking his forearm, I quickly said, “Do you enjoy dancing, Lord Clifton?”

   “Can't stand it,” he said. “All that jigging-about chafes my inside leg.”

   I bit my lower lip and stifled a giggle as Gabriel rolled his eyes and sighed.

   “The only good thing is seeing who's here, but the place is full of horse-faced harlots this season.”

   I felt Gabriel tense up and restrained his hand again. 

   “Haven’t you noticed that you're the only beauty in the place?” 

   I raised my fan and spread it with a coquettish flutter.

   “But I'll wager you're not the bride-to-be.”

   The door to our nook opened as Gabriel rose to his feet. I’d never thought I’d be so pleased to see Mister De Vere.

   “Charles!” he said, taking Lord Clifton’s arm. “I’ve been looking for you.” He took his lordship's arm. “Come now.”

   “See what I've found?” Lord Clifton pulled his arm away. “Gabriel, what would the countess's family say if they knew you were entertaining this gorgeous jade? What whorehouse are you from, you delicious creature?”

   He caught me off guard. “I’m… I’m from Pearl’s Parlour, sir.”

   “Ye gods, you’re an angel. Well, brother, when you've tired of the trollop---”

This time, it was Mister Bartholomew who came to the rescue and did what Mister De Vere had failed to do. He wrapped his stocky arm round Charles’ shoulders and steered him out of sight. I assumed an air of decorum however, our evening lay in shards of broken crystal round our toes. The entire room must have heard our conversation. Now everyone present knew who I was. There was no other name for it. A harlot from the whorehouse.

   The musicians continued their battle to be heard above the din, and I braced myself with what dignity I could muster. I should have kept my heart under lock and key. Gabriel was engaged to be married, and I acknowledged the reality of our relationship. My poor heart felt as heavy and dark as leaden storm clouds. Every beat of it ached and as it slowed to a trickle, like single pebbles dropped in smooth dark pools at midnight, unnoticed and lost in the boundless gloom. Each leering face seemed to mock me as I watched the swirling dancers cavort around the creaking, sprung dancefloor. I sniffed a sharp breath to recover my composure.

   Gabriel resumed his seat, but there was no longer any intimacy. Where once there’d been a warm presence, there was daylight between us; a yawning chasm like a deep fissure in a rocky outcrop. He sat upright and stiff. I didn't want to remain here, not with every eye gazing at us.

   I stood and, aware my voice carried an anxious tone, said, “Please excuse me, sir, I’ve need of fresh air?”

   I turned before Gabriel could respond, but caught his stern face collapse like scree tumbling down a hillside. Mister Bartholomew opened the nook’s rear door, and I slipped away from the ballroom, leaving behind the harsh judgement of those pitiable stares.

   “Are you unwell, Miss Teresa?” he said.

   “No. I want to go home now.”

   Gabriel came down the stairs after me and we stood awkwardly together on the stone steps, while Mister Bartholomew hurried off to find the carriage.

   “I sincerely apologise,” said Gabriel. “Charles had no right to talk to you like that. He is an unmitigated fool.”

   “It is of no consequence,” I replied. Then, unable to keep my jealousy in check, I frowned and said, “Why did you not tell me you were betrothed?” 

   “It is my business and doesn't concern you. I’ll be gone soon enough and---”

   I didn't let him finish. “Do you love her, this countess?”

   “No gentleman marries for love.”

   “Then why marry at all?” I asked.

   “Charles has near ruined our family. I want my father's name to be restored to its rightful place.”

   “I take it the countess is wealthy?”

   “Yes, very.”

   “And you're not?”

   “Madam, I have yet to make my fortune, but the countess's dowry will enable me to rebuild my family's estate.”

   It was the first time he had spoken to me with such a cold edge to his voice.

   “I have no name of any value,” I said, “so I cannot comment, though it seems to me that your business is all about property, and if a wife is of no more value to her husband than a chest of drawers, I think I would prefer to be a whore. At least there's some honesty in it.”

   “Tessie, let's not argue. I’ll be leaving in a few days. My anger is with the situation I find myself in. It has nothing to do with you. Will you not at least see the dancing out?” 

   “No,” I said.

   Oh, how I hate tears, especially ones that are gaining the better of me, and I dispute anyone who says that they make a girl look interesting or pretty.

   “Please dry your eyes,” he said, “and return with me to the ballroom.”

   I curtsied, and without another word, went to the carriage. Mister Bartholomew helped me in and we set off, and I didn't look back. By the time we reached Pearl’s house, I just wanted the solitude of my own chamber.


The End



June 15, 2024 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

Daniel Uhrlass
19:35 Jun 20, 2024

Great story, Howard. You let the dialogue draw out Tessie's inner turmoil, and the introduction of drunken Charles was a good twist. Much to be seen beyond the surface in your story. And impressive to write in first-person of a lady in that time and place. Daniel

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:48 Jun 21, 2024

Hey Daniel, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’m glad you enjoyed it and pleased you acknowledged the layers of meaning and irony below the surface. The short story format is perfect for experimentation and I take the opportunity to try as many voices as possible. If an idea doesn’t work, there’s not much lost but everything to gain in terms of experience. It’s debatable as to whether certain voices would sustain a longer format, however that’d be down to perseverance as much as perspiratio...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tinaye Wakatama
10:38 Jun 20, 2024

I really loved this story, Howard! It felt like I was in it with your characters, and the way your world felt so real and genuine was so good! The words you use in the dialogue and the way you describe everything makes it so authentic that it’s hard not to connect with the characters! Did you do much research on the era or does it all come naturally to you?

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:02 Jun 21, 2024

Hey Tinaye, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts. I’m glad you liked it and pleased you were drawn into Tessie’s world and connected with all the characters; that’s a joy to discover and more than I could’ve expected. Concerning your question about research: “yes” I did quite a bit of research, but could’ve done more and had to use my imagination to fill the gaps. As writers, our imaginations and sense of empathy are our two main strengths, and we must trust them in order to get in the flow and progress, wou...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
00:47 Jun 20, 2024

The dignity of you mc shone through amid the human grotesques you so vividly portrayed and described. Good one.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:23 Jun 20, 2024

Hey Carol, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’m glad you enjoyed it and pleased you liked my descriptions of that hideous world and its grotesque inhabitants. I imagined life in the capital, at that time, must have been horrific and I wanted to capture a sense of decaying grandeur that reflected that truly squalid period. As you remarked, the contrast between Tessie and the surrounding gallery of repulsive onlookers helped to dignify her character, despite her ignoble profession…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
17:16 Jun 18, 2024

I can see this scene as part of a larger story of Miss Teresa Fitzpatrick moving from the bordello to the peak of society, using only her wits and strength of character. And then in a later chapter she will meet the annoying Gabriel and Charles, and have the means to crush their heartless souls! This is a great line 'The Floral Street ladies were awake for business, blossoming like exotic urban florets amidst acres of fetid metropolitan compost.' Thanks!

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:42 Jun 18, 2024

Hey Marty, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts and intriguing suggestions concerning a longer story. Certainly, I like the idea and can imagine lots of surprising plot twists as Tessie ascends the slippery pole to society’s upper echelons. Hmm… definitely food for thought. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Spargo
16:41 Jun 18, 2024

Howard, Teresa's display of dignity above the shallowness of the other characters was inspiring. It was a very good story.

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:51 Jun 18, 2024

Hey Lisa, Thank you for your positive feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed the story and hope you’ll return to read my future submissions….. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremy Stevens
16:02 Jun 18, 2024

Assuming, as you are "Howard," that you are biologically male, I, as a biological male, think you did a fantastic job writing from the point of view of a woman, with woman's values. Despite her status of ill repute, Tessie is an admirable character. A theme as old as time, here, of course, but you did a really nice job presenting it. I say, "Bravo."

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:59 Jun 18, 2024

Hey Jeremy, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts. Certainly, part of writing fiction is learning to be empathetic, so if I’ve succeeded in conveying Tessie’s life convincingly, then that’s more than I’d hoped for and frankly I’m both pleased and relieved it rang true. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ralph Aldrich
04:32 Jun 18, 2024

The story has the taste of what authors think it must have been what it was like to speak in those times. My story too was a historical fiction and I found myself struggling to stay in the era. Well written.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:21 Jun 18, 2024

Hey Ralph, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts. Concerning your comment about the use of language in the dialogue, I’d say, from my experience, that a flavour of the times is what’s required, as any attempt to mimic ancient speech patterns can be off-putting and at worst ridiculous. Having said that, I wrote a story earlier this year in broad Glaswegian and readers loved it. So, who knows? There’s no formula for such matters. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Farr
22:48 Jun 17, 2024

Wonderful story, with really descriptive and creative metaphors. I loved "The Floral Street ladies were awake for business, blossoming like exotic urban florets amidst acres of fetid metropolitan compost. " Well done!!

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:15 Jun 18, 2024

Hey Emily, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your positive thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and hope you’ll return to read future submissions…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Olson
13:04 Jun 17, 2024

I also enjoyed your story. You write dialogue very well and the story had an excellent flow. I find it challenging to write historical fiction, and you did it very well!

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:44 Jun 17, 2024

Hey Kim, Thank you for taking the time to read my latest story and share your thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and relieved it all made sense because I submitted it in a terrible rush to make the deadline. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
11:50 Jun 17, 2024

Nothing is as it seams. Very nice written.

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:38 Jun 17, 2024

Hey Darvico, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts and positivity. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and hope you’ll return to read my future submissions HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
19:18 Jun 16, 2024

Very well written story. Vivid details and descriptions draw the reader into the story. A feeling of empathy and compassion grows for those who are suffering from the traditions of this era. Well crafted, clever references, good historic details. Clever story elements make this entertaining and interesting. Great dialogue balanced with the action and descriptions. I enjoyed this well written, multifaceted story. Very well done!

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:57 Jun 16, 2024

Hey Kristi, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive comments and feedback. I’m relieved it all made sense and hope it will provide the basis for further discussions, and if the idea lingers a while, that’s more than I could wish for… Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:55 Jun 16, 2024

Ah, the cruelty of the situation then. Teresa can't be with the man she loves because of her lack of wealth, and Gabriel has to marry someone she doesn't love to restore it. Beautiful descriptions, lovely flow. Splendid work !

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:52 Jun 16, 2024

Hey Alexis, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your positive feedback; it’s much appreciated. Certainly the world I described was sophisticated, but brutal and superficial nonetheless, and no doubt life in society’s upper strata hasn’t significantly altered. I’m glad you enjoyed it and hope the ideas linger a while and provide further food for further thought. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
11:47 Jun 16, 2024

An enjoyable, yet sad story somehow. I liked the authentic historical feel and all the character and dress elements you added. Very different times, but the same anguish underneath it all - even though of a different kind to today’s issues with finding a great partner. A man like Gabriel world have felt compelled to put duty to marry before affection or love for a woman without means. I imagine you had a lot of fun penning this one. It’s sad that people were so busy judging Tess. She kept her head up and she deserves to be happy.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:18 Jun 16, 2024

Hey Helen, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m pleased you liked it and sense it may provide food for thought. Certainly, I had a lot of fun writing it and enjoyed researching the details. To be honest, historical drama isn’t necessarily my forte, however I may consider exploring the themes further and develop a longer piece. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:57 Jun 15, 2024

The anguish of being beautiful with not a penny to one's name. And I feel for Gabriel as well. Family finances and reputation were everything, back then. Men had expectations thrust upon them too, by family. This is before Regency times, but I'm only saying this due to the corseted dress you described so well. Great story with lots of authentic detail in it

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:51 Jun 15, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, Thank you for reading my latest story and leaving your positive thoughts. Concerning the dress description; I see what you mean. I could’ve been more thorough with my research or a bit vague about the details. Certainly, it’s something to be aware of next time I attempt a Regency snd/or historical story Take care HH :)

Reply

04:16 Jun 16, 2024

Hi Howard. Take heart. There was no indication a Regency Ball was required, and the prompt left this open. Your story is authentic for the time period before Regency, even if you imagined otherwise. My one done in Regency times is as accurate to the time period as I could write it. Someone described it as in a Bridgerton mood. (Thanks for reading and liking) Before the dress changed from corseted, waisted dresses (with cleavage), you described perfectly what took place. Assistance required. Later on, in Regency times, the Empire style dres...

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:08 Jun 16, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, Thank you for the fascinating and detailed ‘history lesson’ and the Wilde quote, which was so true. I’ve always been amazed and amused by the extent people will go to follow the latest fashion, when so many garments are either uncomfortable and awkward, or downright ridiculous and impractical for normal use. But, then I’m missing point because the more outlandish items aren’t designed with everyday use in mind. But, for the most part, it’s just a lot of sound and fury to create a transient moment and then move onto the next big ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:44 Jun 15, 2024

Tut, tut, Ton. Truth comes out. Thanks for liking 'My Fair Lady'.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:33 Jun 15, 2024

Hey Mary, Thank you for checking out my story….. Concerning your comment; the phrase that comes to mind is, ‘What happens in the dark, comes out in the light….’ (…. or some such) HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
13:58 Jun 15, 2024

I was glad to see that despite her profession she held her head up high. Gabriel is going to regret losing her. Great read!

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:29 Jun 15, 2024

Hey Karen, Thank you for taking the time to read my submission and leave positive feedback. I’m glad you liked the characters and hope you’ll return for more short stories. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
04:18 Jun 15, 2024

Pure class! Both you and Tess. You found just the right rhythm in dialogue and the perfect imperfect sentiments of the time.

Reply

Howard Halsall
04:41 Jun 15, 2024

Just a little nonsense I cobbled together; mere stuff and nonsense M'Lady... (He says still in regency patois)

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:29 Jun 15, 2024

But I hope you did jettison that lice-ridden wig. :-)

Reply

Howard Halsall
12:32 Jun 15, 2024

Blimey, in all the excitement I forgot about the wig and wondered where the awful smell was coming from :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:39 Jun 15, 2024

LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
02:29 Jun 22, 2024

Lo! ⏰⏲️⌛🕰️⌚💻💻💻✏️🏃🏃🏃 IOW time's wasting.🙂

Reply

Howard Halsall
04:47 Jun 22, 2024

Hi Trudy, I uploaded my story, however I'm not entering the contest this week. It's kinda work in progress, I guess... :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:10 Jun 22, 2024

Yes, I saw that, will read it anyway, as soon as I have a minute. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.