0 comments

Romance Fiction LGBTQ+

I remember when we used to live in that small town together. The people there, they’d never accept us for who we were. But we accepted each other anyway, you and I. We’ve stuck together ever since, even running away from our hometown in search of our own lives. We knew it would be dangerous, out in the deserts and possibly far away from civilization. But we still did it. For us. For ourselves. As I told you then, my heart still and forever will belong to you.

Of course I knew we wouldn’t be able to be right at each other’s sides forever. Our paths separated into two different directions weeks ago, but it doesn’t bother me one bit, as long as I get to see you again. I hope you’re doing okay now. I wonder if you’ve been thinking of me the same as I’ve been thinking of you. I’m counting down the days until we will meet up again.

I looked up from the letter I was writing, folding it carefully into my pocket as I felt the sun’s scorching heat blaring down on me. Just a few more days of this, and we’d finally be reunited. It was worth it, hard as it might be. As long as it might feel. It’s only been a week yet it feels like I’ve been walking through the desert blindly for at least a month.

It’ll be okay, though. At least I hope. We’re doing this for each other anyhow, aren’t we? I had to stay and find work and supplies, while you traveled ahead to a promising place we heard of that we might be able to finally settle down in. Finally be together, not worrying about being judged. Finally being ourselves. I don’t care how much time it will take. I know it’ll be worth it.

It felt both like it was just yesterday, and that it could’ve been years ago that we parted ways. We were both teary eyed, embracing for as long as time would allow us. Then I watched her travel on.

I climbed to my feet, pulling my bag back on my shoulders and continuing to walk along the stone path. Nothing but rock and the occasional cactus was visible for miles. I reached for my bottle on the side of my bag, unscrewed the lid and lifted it up for a taste of refreshing water.

Nothing.

My heart dropping, I froze in my steps as I realized I had no water left on my person, and was still miles deep into the middle of nowhere. I couldn’t process it at first. I just stood there staring at the empty bottle as if I was just daydreaming, waiting for more water to appear. It didn’t.

The bottle crinkled from my tightening grip on it. What was I going to do now? How would I let her know that I was okay? How would I find out if she was okay? What if the same thing happened to her, and we’re still so far apart? What if I can’t make it to her now?

The thoughts swirled around in my head like a storm, threatening to break apart the last bits of my mind that were intact. Taking steadying breaths, I realized I had two hopes left. To find a miracle oasis, or hope for rain. Neither was likely, but it would be better than sitting around waiting for doom.

I stuffed the empty bottle back into my bag and continued on down the stone path.

After a while the heat was becoming even more unbearable than I thought it could. My mouth was dry, and after what felt like hours of walking there was still no sign of water in sight-

I stopped immediately. There, something green flashed in the corner of my eye. I turned to face it, not daring to get my hopes up. Was it a tree? It looked like a palm tree, but I couldn’t be sure. I took a few cautious steps off of the stone path, making sure I noted where it was so I wouldn’t lose my way. The green was still there. My heart leapt in excitement. Water! I finally found some!

Unable to stop myself, I started running. There, it was visible now, crystal blue water with a palm tree near it. It looked lovely! Except… The farther I ran, the farther it seemed to get. I felt the adrenaline starting to kick in again, despite my attempts to stay calm.

I ran for several minutes. Then it vanished, as quickly as it had appeared. My chance for water, to see her, all of it gone in the blink of an eye. That is… if something can be gone if it wasn’t even there in the first place. It took me a while to realize that it wasn’t.

I turned back towards the stone path, walking slowly to try to conserve as much energy as I could. I already felt exhausted, like there was no hope left in me. What was I going to do now? There was still so much farther to go, and no time to go there. And I wasn’t turning back. Not after I’ve come this far, traveled for so long to see her again.

After a while I was back on the path, walking towards my distant goal again. How had I been fooled so easily? I should’ve known it was a mirage. I should’ve known to bring more water with me. I wish I knew where she was. What she was doing. If she were even worried at all like I was. I wish I knew how to make it rain.

Despair creeped unto me, slowly and surely, like a predator stalking its prey.

I really don’t know anything anymore.

As I thought that, I felt a tap on the top of my head. I looked up as more cold taps landed on my skin. Was that… rain?

I found myself smiling, just slightly.

Yes, I really don’t know anything anymore. 

The End

August 20, 2022 04:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.