0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

“So what’s the catch?” asked Lima. She was talking to CM (Chief Minister) of Zygos, a prosperous land on planet tellus – earth’s twin. Lima was nearing 40 but still was attractive with a figure eight shape. She was a widow having lost her newly married husband to a stroke of lightning. She had been left very prosperous and through her own initiative had built up a roaring trade in various commodities. She lived in style.

When there is a chief minister there is a ruler. The king who had ruled Zygos had died recently. He had left behind two sons Mall aged 20 and Jeev aged 19. This is where Mog a man of God comes into the picture. Mog was a young man who was concentrating on God awareness and lived in a forest quite near Zygos. He would lecture to people on ethics and indulge in acts of charity towards the poor. He had many followers and one among them was widow Lima. Getting to move closely with him, her ways sometimes made him swerve from his lofty ideals of total isolation from women. It wasn’t their fault really. They were both young and what could happen between a young man and a woman happened to them. It resulted in the disciple getting pregnant. Mog wisely managed to move her elsewhere till her pregnancy ended. She had produced a handsome boy.

Meanwhile the queen of Zygos was also in the family way. Wizma the official wizard, a wise woman played midwife. Mog was very close to Wizma. When she announced the birth of a stillborn girl to the queen and her demise thereafter, he quickly substituted Lima’s baby. It was announced that the queen had actually produced twins and only one had survived. He was Jeev who was fed by wet nurses and brought up in the royal household. All that had happened about two decades ago. Lima had returned to her normal life in Zygos.

Now that the kIng of Zygos was no more it was assumed that the eldest son Mall would ascend the throne.  But Lima behind the lines insisted that Jeev should be king. Now she continued with CM.

CM said “Madam Lima as per our tradition, the eldest son Mall ascends the throne. People expect that to happen. Now you can see the catch.”

Lima said “See the difference between the two. Jeev is better built and is more athletic. He has also become an expert at arms. Jeev has shown his valour in hunting in the wild. Mall is nowhere in comparison. Besides, you know he is my son and has inherited my business instinct. It will help him in the kingly duty of administering the state’s finances.”

“True madam, but tradition must be honoured besides the expectations of the people.”

“People be damned. I want Jeev to the king.”

“But they can’t be put down.” He was silent for a while. Then he said “It is possible that people may be satisfied if responsibility is divided and each brother shares…..”

“That is not acceptable. Jeev must be the sole ruler of Zygos.”

CM finally said “Let me think it over.”

“Remember I’m paying you well to be my ally. When Jeev becomes king he will reward you even more handsomely.”

CM walked home wondering what to do. He said within himself “Mall is the rightful heir. How can I fit in Jeev to be king? Let me think some more.”

The next day, Lima visited Mog in his forest home. The man was seated outside studying palm leaf manuscripts in bright sunlight. Mog was younger than Lima, was handsome and appeared to be in excellent health. Seeing her he said “Welcome Lima. You’ve become a rare visitor.”

“My business keeps me busy. Also I didn’t want to distract you from your philosophical studies.”

He laughed and said “Not all these records are philosophical stuff. Our forebears have written about sex.” He said pointing “This record is a recent find and praises sex with multiple partners.”

“Is everything described?”

He nodded. She said “May be it would be worth a try. But we’re the usual two.”

“My maid Gypsy is available. She has gone to fetch water. Here she comes.”

Lima studied Gypsy. She looked hardly out of her teens but she had an excellent sexy build. “I envy her” she said to herself.

Mog said “Lima the elders have recommended use of various juices and extracts. We’ve nothing ready.”

“They aren’t really required in our case including of course Gypsy.”

He said “Gypsy will join. The scrolls say….”

“You can study them for later use. Right now I’m in the mood.”

They had a good time after which she said “You appear tired.”

“Naturally! It was one against two.”

Lima said “I must come more often. But right now I’ve come to talk to you in confidence.”

Mog said “Gypsy you can start cooking.”

After Gypsy left Lima said “I want our son Jeev to be king. But that idiot CM is thinking up something or other against it.”

“I know. I spoke on this issue to Wizma our witch. She had said she would think about it and suggest a solution.”

“Leave her to me. I’ll handle her. May be I’ll come again……” she added laughing “When the need comes up. Keep Gypsy for the encounters!”

Lima fund her way to Wizma’s cottage not far away.

Wizma said “I knew you would come. You want Jeev on the throne. That means Mall must be eliminated.”

“That would be best.”

Wizma said laughing “I didn’t mean by killing him. Mog had spoken to me. I’m suggesting a competition between the brothers. Whoever wins ascends the throne.” She thought a little and added “They are well matched. Perhaps if a little feeling of discouragement could be worked in in Mall, Jeev would definitely win. I’ll organize it.”

“You’ll get a sumptuous reward.”

 Lima spoke to CM again who said “The public will accept the winner of the competitions to be king. It’s fair enough. I’ll announce a date for it.”

A team of referees was announced to judge the competitions in different fields. The day before the date, Mall was sleeping when he had a dream. He thought he heard a knock on his door. Somebody was standing outside who said in a whisper “I know you’re keen to win. Tell me if I’m a male or female by feeling. If your answer is correct you’ll get the throne.”

Mall said “You’re female.”

“You’re wrong. I’m a ghost” and the visitor vanished and he woke from the dream.

The competitions went on and Mall with a sense of defeat participated. In the end Jeev was declared winner. The ghost had been sent by Wizma’s powers of wizardry. Jeev was crowned.

END

March 04, 2023 13:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.