WISH FULFILMENT

Written in response to: Set your story in a post office.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Happy

Neha was slim and tall and had a nice face cut. She was unlettered and worked for Ruby as live in maid. That evening Ruby called Neha and said “You know the post office.” Neha nodded as she knew the compact three storied building. “Take this receipt and bring back the box they give.” Ruby checked the time and said “The post office closes at 5 and it is 4.30 already. And you have also to  shop. Go first to the post office.” Neha set off walking.  On the way a woman she knew blocked her and spoke a few minutes. Then came her beau on his motorcycle. He worked for Amazon.

He said “Climb on and we can have a cup of coffee.”

She said “I’m short of time today. We can meet tomorrow.”

She checked the time on her cell phone and rushed towards the post office. It was almost closed and going to the third floor on the lift she saw there was only one staff member. Seeing her he immediately handed her a box and went his way. In her hurry she forgot to hand over the receipt.

Neha, a villager, was always curious and studied the box. She thought it could contain make up material. She saw she could open it and found a single piece of chocolate in it. She unwrapped and ate it. When she reached the lift it was on the ground floor and was locked for the day. She tried going down the stairs but the door to the staircase was locked. She thought she would have to spend the night there and the worry made her weep.

“Why’re you weeping?” asked a voice.

She was surprised to see a man in a funny costume standing near her.

She said “I’ve been locked in and don’t know how to get out. Who’re you?”

“I’m the genie in the box. You opened that box and I came out.”

She said “I’ve seen genies in movies. You don’t look like one. And now I’m afraid as genies only kill.”

“You’re wrong. I’m not an evil genie.”

Now all on a sudden there stood a female near genie. He said “This is geneka my wife.”

Neha nodded and said “Genie tell me how to escape from here.”

Genie said “There’s no hurry. I can convert you into say a monkey. Then you can climb down that open window and become human again.”

“Good idea.”

The moment she said it her clothes were at her feet and she was bare. She shouted “My God! I’m naked.” And she had become a monkey!

Geneka said “I’ve dropped your clothes down through the window. You can wear them again after you go down.”

As Neha climbed to the window a monkey which had been watching from a nearby tree jumped with obvious evil intention. Neha wailed and was made human again.

Geneka said “Alright I’ll get you your clothes.” She disappeared for a few moments and came back with Neha’s clothes.

Neha asked her “Where will I dress again?” She had wrapped the top of her dress around her.

Geneka laughed and said “We’ve seen everything. Where is the need for privacy in dressing again?”

Neha said “You’re a woman and are cruel. I know you’ve seen everything of me but still a woman needs privacy while dressing up.”

Geneka said “Dress up in the lift cage. You’ve light and a life size mirror in it to admire yourself.”

Neha said “It doesn’t open as the lift is locked at ground level.” She looked sorrowful as she said “Genie for my escape you could’ve converted me into something else instead of a monkey.”

Genii said “That was the safest for climbing down.”

Geneka said “There must be a toilet here somewhere.”

Genie said “There is a gents. I tried it. It’s locked.”

Geneka went looking around and said pointing “Those cupboards will give privacy.”

Neha rushed back and said “The  CCTV camera is active. I know it might have even captured me nude. Will it work even when the post office is shut?”

Genie said “It is 24x7. If you were caught on it the male staff tomorrow will be ogling you and the female staff will be cursing you for showing so much.”

Geneka wasn’t amused and said “Genie and I will turn away from you. You can change.” 

As Neha cḥanged, geneka whispered to genie “How do you like that woman?”

“She has a good face cut. That says it all.”

Geneka said “She could be bare on top: Practically nothing to say she is a woman.”

He said “You could buy her a padded bra like you have.”

She was very angry and said “I’m well endowed. I use the bra so that you don’t see the points which  are prominent. You keep handling me so often and can’t even understand basic facts. I won’t give you access any more.”

He said “I’m sorry I said it wrong. Thoughtless of me! Don’t shut me off.”

 Geneka turned, saw Neha had finished dressing and said “We’ve visited you and have embarrassed you also. I can grant you one wish. Just one.  Ask.”

There was silence for a while. It looked as if Neha wasn’t sure about what to ask.

Finally geneka said “I can see you’re unable to decide.”

Neha said “My boyfriend sometimes plays with me. We aren’t married yet.”

Geneka said “I know what you seek. It is granted.”

In a moment two buttons in Neha’s jacket flew off.

There was the sound of the lift arriving. A watchman in uniform came and seeing Neha said “I wonder how you got locked in.”

Neha said “These two kept me company.”

The watchman was puzzled. He said “There is no one else here.” He said pointing “That is my lunch box. I came to collect it. How did you get it?”

Neha looked confused as she said “One staff member here gave it to me.” 

The watchman said “I leave it on the third floor every day and my daughter collects it back. The staff must have handed it to you assuming you were my daughter or you were somebody authorized to collect it on my behalf. Come on let’s get out of this post office.”

As they entered the lift cage the light came on and Neha had a good look at herself. She couldn’t believe her eyes!

At home as Neha faced her, the first question Ruby put to her was “Did you buy a bra?”

She shook her head. She said “I couldn’t collect the box. Here is the receipt.”

Ruby said “It will be delivered tomorrow. And it looks as if you haven’t done any shopping either. You must’ve met someone to talk to. Alright shop tomorrow.”

Her mind was in a daze. Shopping be damned! My beau should see me tomorrow. She dreamt about her new form all night!

END

August 21, 2023 07:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.