0 comments

General

He smiles his biggest smile.


*Click*


"Perfect, you can go ahead and pick up your pictures in about a week," says the photographer.


"Wait? A week? Why a week? Everything is digital nowadays." responds the customer.


The photographer shook his head and hands the customer a business card.


"Give me a call, and I'll let you know when they are ready."


The customer snags the card out of his hand and then storms out, upset that he didn't receive his product. The photographer closes the door and doesn't know what to do with this new technology. With all the new shops popping up left and right, it's going to put him out of business. What happened to take a snapshot, then headed back to the darkroom and develop those photos. The photographer remembers walking out into the world, be the wilderness, or the city, or even around his own house and taking amazing photos. The exciting thing about it was that he wouldn't know what he took until he made it back to the darkroom. He'd spend hours taking each photo and dipping it into the solution, and wait for the image to come into focus onto the paper. Then and only then could he tell if the time you spent and the patience you provided, and the eye for that one in a lifetime shot actually happened. Speaking of which, he needs to get back on his game. The photographer grabs his camera and heads out the door and into the back yard. He begins to shoot birds. He shoots leaves. He even shoots random people walking along the sidewalks. The photographer could and can spend hours amongst hours outside collecting images. He finishes and heads back inside to make these pictures come to life. He waits, staring down at the colors come to view.


"That's your grandfather out in the woods, taking a picture of the birds," the man flips a page in the binder. 


"Whose that dad?" the boy asks.


"That's your granddad taking a picture of a man, he used to take professional pictures," the dad responds.


He closed the book.


The cover reads, "Memories."

November 09, 2019 04:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.