0 comments

Kids Fiction Middle School

Chapter 1: Started at School

Nine-year-old Ava woke up worried and unsettled. She hurried to rush off to school that she loved alot just to ease some of the pain. She adored her teacher, Mrs. Brown, and enjoyed interacting with her friends during recess. But today just did not feel right. Today, Ava was in trouble. She was sent to the principal’s office where she sat, her feet dangling off the chair, staring at her muddied shoes. Peering over to the student who sat near her.

"Ava," Principal Childs exclaimed, his voice gentle but firm, "You may step in now!” He did not seem very happy or nice. “Do you understand why you're here?"

Ava nodded slowly. "Yes, yes sir. I... I shouldn't have pushed Rose."

Principal Childs stared at Ava, his eyes kind but serious. "That's right. Pushing someone is not the way to handle things. What happened?"

Ava swallowed hard as if she had a frog in her throat. She cleared her throat. "Uh hum. Rose said something mean about my sculpture, and I got really mad. I didn't mean to push her. It just... happened."

The principal sighed. "I understand, Ava. But it's important to use our words, not our hands. We will need to talk to your parents about this. Why don't you wait here while I call them?"

“Call them?” Ava's heart sank. She knew her parents would be disappointed. They always told her that it was always ok to express her feelings and to talk things out. She felt a wave of guilt wash over her. What if they were going to be really angry with her?

Chapter 2: An Uncomfortable Conversation

That evening, after a long talk with her parents about her behavior, Ava started to her room, feeling a mix of sadness and relief. She promised her parents she would apologize to Rose and try to be more patient and understanding. 

Later, as she was playing with her dolls, Ava overheard her parents talking in the living room. She quietly crept towards the door to closely listen, her curiosity at the highest.

"The arrangements have been made," her mother said. "She'll be picked up next week."

Ava's heart skipped a beat. Her ear pressed harder against the door, straining to hear.

"Yes," her father replied. "We will need to make some drastic changes around the house to prepare. It's going to be a big adjustment for everyone. And we will need to begin packing some things."

Ava felt a knot of fear tighten in her stomach. Picked up? Changes around the house? Packing? What were they talking about? Ava grew weary to ask them directly, afraid of what she might hear. Instead, she decided she would do everything she could to make them happy, hoping they wouldn't be too mad at her.

Chapter 3: Everything Gets Done

That Saturday, Ava woke up early and made her bed just like the video she watched. She picked up her toys and neatly rearranged her room. She even help her mom with breakfast, setting the table and carefully pouring the juice.

"Ava, you did a wonderful job," her mom said, smiling. "Thank you for helping."

Ava glowed, but the knot in her stomach was still there. She had to keep proving herself. Every day after school, she did her homework without being asked and even cleaned and vacuumed the living room, dusting the furniture.

Her parents were pleased with everything she was doing, but they still had secret conversations. Ava's anxiety kept growing. She began imagining all sorts of bad thoughts – maybe they were going to send her away because she had misbehaved at school. She had no choice she had to keep working harder.

Chapter 4: Unsettled Thoughts

Ava continued to complete more chores. She helped with laundry, cooked simple meals, and kept her room tidied. Her parents showed gratitude to her for being such a good helper, but Ava wondered why they still whispered about "the pickup" and "the changes."

One evening, sat in her room, hugging her favorite pillow. Tears swelled up in her eyes. Why did she have to leave her home? She loved her family, she hadn’t made many mistakes at school and she tried hard to make good grades. She couldn’t understand why they wanted to get rid of her.

Ava wiped her eyes and took a deep breath. Maybe if she did more to help they would change their minds. She began making a list of extra chores she could do: sweeping the porch, watering the garden, and mopping the floor. She was determined to show her parents that she could be the best daughter.

The next day, Ava woke up extra early. Quietly, she tiptoed downstairs and started on her list. First chore was to sweep the porch since dad mowed, making sure to get every last bit of dust, grass and leaves. She then moved to the garden, carefully watering each plant and even pulling out weeds as her mother showed her. Finally, she began mopping all the floors paying attention to every corner.

When her mom came downstairs, she was surprised to see Ava hard at work. "Ava, you're up so early! And you're doing such a great job with the chores. Thank you, sweetheart."

Ava smiled worriedly. "You're welcome, Mom," she said politely.

Ava continued to impress her parents. She packed her own lunch for school, helped set the table for dinner, and even sorted the laundry. Her parents seemed pleased, but the mysterious conversations about "the pickup" and "the changes" remained.

One evening, while Ava was helping clean after dinner, she overheard her parents whispering in the living room. She paused, trying hard to hear.

"Everything is ready for next week," her dad said. "I hope Ava is ready for the big day and she is not too nervous."

"I think she'll be fine," her mom replied. "She's been so helpful lately. She's such a good girl. And she will adjust just fine. She will be loved."

Ava's heart pounded. The big day? What did that mean? She couldn't stand the suspense any longer. She had to find out what was going on, but she was too afraid to ask. Instead, she decided to gather clues.

That night, after her parents went to bed, Ava snuck downstairs and proceeded to her father’s office. There she saw a stack of papers on her dad's desk. She carefully picked up the papers and skimmed through them, she didn’t understand all the words but tried hard to read them. They were documents about adoption. Her eyes widened in shock. Adoption? Were they planning to send her away?

Ava panicked, ran back to her room and buried her face in her pillows. She didn't want to leave her family. She loved them so much. Did they not love her anymore because of what happened at school?

The following day, Ava went to school exhausted and anxious. During recess, she sat alone under the slide, lost in her thoughts. Rose, the girl she had pushed, came over and sat next to her.

"Hey, Ava," Rose said softly. "Are you okay? You seem really sad."

Ava peered over, her eyes brimming with tears. "I think my parents are sending me away," she whispered.

Rose's eyes widened. "Why would they do that?"

"Because I got in trouble at school. They've been talking about someone being picked up and changes around the house. I think they're going to get rid of me," Ava explained, her voice trembling.

Rose put a hand on Ava's shoulder. "I'm so sorry you're feeling this way, maybe there's another explanation. Have you tried talking to your parents?"

Ava nodded, the fear in her heart larger. She told someone at school. Would the school now know she’s not wanted? Did she have the courage to ask her parents? 

That night, as she lay in bed, Ava thought about what Rose suggested. Maybe there was another explanation. Maybe she was misunderstanding everything. She figured she would write her parents a letter, explaining how she felt and asking them what was going on.

She climbed out of bed, grabbed her notebook and a pen, and began to write:

"Dear Mom and Dad,

I need to tell you something. I've been really scared and worried lately. I have overheard you talking everyday about someone being picked up and that changes would happen around the house, and I know you are planning to send me away because I got in trouble at school. I love you so much, and I don't want to leave our home but it would be easier. I was trying to be a good girl and help out as much as I can but it just was not good enough.

Love, Ava"

Ava folded the letter and placed it on the table where her parents would be able to see it in the morning. She quietly hurried back to her room, packed a small bag with snacks and drinks and went out to the garage. She had a mixed feeling of fear and hope. She hoped that by the next day, everything would be clearer. But she knew if she ran away, her parents would be better off.

The following morning, Ava woke up to the sound of her parents yelling in the yard. She quietly hid behind the car. When her parents went back into the house, Ava snuck in through the back door and heard her parents talking in the kitchen about how things were not going as planned. She tiptoed to the doorway and watched as they read her letter. Her mom's eyes filled with tears, and her dad's expression became one of concern.

They continued calling for her, reaching out to neighbors and some of Ava's friends. No one had heard from Ava. They searched the house and the backyard, checking all her favorite hiding spots, but she was nowhere to be found. They canvassed the neighborhood, calling her name and showing pictures to everyone they met. They even called the local police, who quickly organized a search team. As night fell, Ava's parents sat by the phone, praying for any news, their hearts heavy with worry and fear.

Chapter 5: The Unexpected Discovery

As dawn broke, Ava's parents were exhausted from a night of searching and worry. The house felt emptier without Ava's presence, and every passing minute added to their anxiety. Just as the first light of morning peered through the curtains, the neighbors arrived with some volunteers to help continue the search. Ava's parents drained, thanked them and prepared to continue their worried quest.

A soft sound came from the garage. It sounded like a small whimper. Ava's mom and dad looked surprised and quickly headed to the garage. They had checked it the night before, but perhaps they had missed something.

Ava's dad opened the garage door cautiously not knowing what to expect. The faint morning light brightened the room, casting unsettling shadows over the cluttered space. He stepped inside, his heart pounding. He heard an unfamiliar rattle and stepped back. He crept closer to the noise being weary of what it might be. There, nestled next to old boxes and under a thick, warm blanket, was Ava. She was curled up, holding tightly her favorite pillow, sound asleep.

"Ava!" her mom cried out, rushing to her side and kneeling down. "Oh, thank goodness!" She gently woke Ava.

Ava quenched her eyes and squirmed, blinking sleepily. "Mom? Dad?" she asked, confused.

Her dad knelt beside her, wrapping her in a tight hug. "We were so worried! Why are you sleeping out here, princess?"

Ava looked down, her eyes filling with tears. "I heard you talking about 'the pickup' and 'the changes'. Your going to send me away because I got in trouble at school. I didn't want to leave, so I hid here in the garage."

Her mom's heart sank as she listened to Ava. "Oh, Ava, no. We would never send you away. We love you so much. We were not talking about getting rid of you."

Ava sniffled, her tears flowing uncontrollably. "Really?"

"Really," her dad said, as he brushed her hair back into place. "We should have explained it to you. We're so sorry you were so scared."

Her mom held her hand. "Ava, we are so sorry you've been feeling this way. We had no idea you were so worried."

Her dad nodded. "We should have talked to you sooner. We're not planning to send you away. We would never do that. We love you more than anything."

Ava's eyes filled with tears of relief. "But what about the pickup and the changes?"

Her mom smiled gently. "We should have explained. We're adopting a baby. You're going to have a baby sister. We've been settling everything for her arrival, and that's what we've been whispering about. We wanted to surprise you"

Ava felt a tremendous weight overcome her with joy and relief. "A baby sister? Really?"

Her dad nodded, smiling. "Yes, really. We can't wait for you to meet her. She's going to need a lot of love and care, and we know you'll be a terrific big sister."

Ava threw her arms around her parents, squeezing tight "I was so scared," she confessed. "I thought you didn't want me anymore because of what I did at school."

Her mom hugged her tightly. "Oh, Ava, we love you so much. Everyone makes mistakes, but that doesn't change how much we care about you. We're a family, and we're here for each other, no matter what."

They went inside talked and reassured Ava everything was fine, she realized that her fears had been unraveled. Her family was growing and she was to be a part of it. She learned that communication was key and that she could always count on her parents to support her.

With the mystery solved and her heart at rest, Ava excitedly waited for the arrival of her new baby sister. She felt grateful for her family's love and looked forward to the new adventures that awaited them all.

Chapter 6: A New Addition

As they began gathering themselves Ava kissed her parents and rushed to the car beating them inside. They were on their way to the adoption center. Ava's heart was racing, but this time with excitement. She couldn't wait to meet her baby sister. When they arrived, a kind lady greeted them and shook Ava’s hand. They then followed her to a bright playful room where a tiny baby girl with big, curious eyes was peeping.

"Her name is Rose," the lady said, with a wide happy smile.

Ava gasped. "Rose? That's the name of the girl I pushed at school!"

Her parents laughed gingerly. "It's a rare name," her dad said. "And with your help we figured it would be a beautiful one for your new sister."

Ava carefully held baby Rose examining all features Rose had to offer. Ava felt a huge sense of love and protectiveness come over her. She glanced up at her parents as to give the ok, her parents radiated with happiness.

"Welcome to our family, Rose," Ava whispered, planting a soft kiss on her new sister's forehead.

Chapter 7: Easing The Pain

When they arrived home they tucked baby Rose into her new crib. Ava stayed with Rose for a while before heading downstairs. She then asked if she could sit with her parents for a heart-to-heart talk. They accepted. She explained to them how she had felt scared and nervous all week, afraid they were arranging to send her away.

Her parents listened intently, their expressions full of love and sadness. "Ava, we're so sorry you felt that way," her mom cried. "We never meant to make you feel scared. We should have talked to you about the adoption sooner."

"We promise to always be open with you, Ava," her dad added. "You can come to us with anything that's on your mind. We love you very much."

Ava felt a warmth fulfil her body. “I love you too," she said, hugging them tightly. "And I'm so happy to have a baby sister she’s perfect and I will teach her to be kind and loving."

As they sat together, talking and laughing, Ava realized that her family bond had grown stronger than before. The importance of communication no matter what mistakes she made, her parents would always love and support her.

Chapter 8: A Happy Home

With Rose now at the house, the household adjusted to the new routines that came with having a new addition. Ava was eager to help, she learned how to change diapers, feed Rose, and would read her bedtime stories when everyone was asleep. She felt a genuine bond beginning to form with her new sister and had become closer to her parents.

At school, Ava approached Rose during lunch, the girl she had pushed. "I'm really sorry for pushing you," Ava said sincerely. "I was having a hard time, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

Rose smiled. " It's okay, Ava. We all have bad days. I hope you are feeling better. Can we be friends?"

Ava nodded excitedly. "Friends. Yes, best friends. I have so much to tell and show you." The girls sat under the slide, their new secret hiding spot and began exchanging stories. 

As she walked home that day, Ava felt at peace. She knew that no matter what challenges she had to face, her family and new friend would always be there for her. And now, with baby Rose in their lives, their family was complete.

The lessons Ava learned during that challenging week stayed with her forever. She understood the power of communication, the importance of forgiveness, and the unbreakable bond of family. And with her baby sister in her arms, Ava felt like the luckiest girl in the world

May 18, 2024 03:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.