A Semester With You

Written in response to: Set your story in an unlikely sanctuary.... view prompt

0 comments

Asian American Friendship High School

Laureen Fray, a Japanese-American senior high student from Tokyo, was sent to Seoul, Korea. She was chosen to represent their school in the Foreign Student Exchange. She arrived in Seoul at midnight on June 6. She was told someone would meet her at the airport, but she wasn't told whom. She was walking in the hallway drinking a cup of coffee when suddenly a young lad about her age bumped into her, and the coffee was thrown all over the lad's shirt. “Dangsin eun mueos eul haessnayo?”. The young lad exclaimed. Laureen, understanding the young lad's words, became indignant and replied in Japanese, "Nani wo shi ta ka tte? Doko kara tomo naku de te ki te watashi wo butsuke ta no wa anata de, watashi wa nani ka wo shi ta hito ni naru hazu desu ka?!". She walked away past him furiously and went out of the airport. 'Luckily, I have the address of the apartment I'll be staying in’ ,she told herself. She called a cab, gave the driver her address and got in without bothering to wait for the person supposed to fetch her. She was utterly pissed off.

In the morning that followed, she arrived early at the Seoul Arts High School. When the class started, she was introduced by Teacher Park to the class. "Everyone, this is Laureen Fray. She will be with the class for this semester. She's an exchange student from Kokusai High School, Japan.". There were greetings from the class, then she took her seat. Teacher Park told them that since they have an exchange student with them, it is expected that their medium of instruction will be the universal language for the rest of the semester. Then a student arrived. He sat beside Laureen. Teacher Park said, "Hyeon-Seok Nam you finally arrived. How did it go with Miss Fray?". Laureen's head went bubbles as she looked at her seatmate. 'This moron is supposed to meet me, and instead, he made my first minutes in Korea an inconvenient one?' she asked herself. "It went well.", was Nam's plain reply. She glared at him and returned her attention to their teacher. 

The class ended that day with Laureen meeting new friends; some of her new friends even walked with her to her apartment. Then, after saying their goodbyes, she went inside. After setting her things, she went to the desk near the window and started writing her diary.

The days went by, and their pre-midterm exam came. Laureen was determined to get to the top of the class. She had studied endlessly for the past months. Taking down notes and reviewing them when the course was over. She's confident she'll get to the top. It was all she could do during the exam not to pass the paper early, although she finished ahead of time, so it might not look like bluffing. After the exam, many students looked pale, others seemed indignant, and a lot felt relieved that the exam was over.

The next day, Laureen woke up early, feeling excited because she had a strong feeling that she'll be on top. When she entered their room, there were already a lot of students inside, everyone uncertain of their fate. When Teacher Park entered, the room grew quiet. The silence was deafening. Teacher Park cleared her throat and started calling the students, giving them their test results. When Laureen was called, she walked confidently to the front, smiled at Teacher Park and received her card without looking at it as if she already knew the result. She went back to her seat, and Seong Jung Nam was called at that exact moment. As if by default, Nam faced his classmate and took a bow. Laureen was startled by what he had done. Teacher Park then spoke, "Everyone, let's give a round of applause to our top 1 student for the pre-midterm exam, Mr Hyeon-Seok Nam" then applause filled the room. At that moment, Laureen was confused. She was sure she answered everything correctly, but as she looked at her test result, she saw she had made one mistake, 'Where did I get wrong?' She asked herself. As she flipped her test result card, the comment, "Ms Fray you almost got perfect, but there was one unshaded item as your paper was checked. Item number 28."

For the rest of the day, Laureen felt awful because of her carelessness. She was not able to be on top. Though there were a lot of students who congratulated her, she still felt horrible. During the lunch break, she sat at the far back of the cafeteria, wanting to be in solitude. As she was lost in thought, she did not notice someone sitting in front of her. "Hey, Laureen." Laureen was startled and looked at the one who spoke. "Oh, ha-hi…" she said shyly, "Have you been here for so long?" She asked. "In this school? Well, since I was in seventh grade but reasoning, you may mean here at your table… The answer is no… I'm here just for a couple of minutes"... "Ahm… ah… okay" was her reply and continued eating. "By the way, I passed by to say congratulations. I was told I was just a point ahead of you. No one in the school was able to reach that before." Laureen just kept silent and continued eating though it was obvious she liked the compliment. "Also, we haven't introduced ourselves to each other properly. I am Hyeon-Seok Nam", he said, stretching out his hands. "Lastly, I am sorry for what happened at the airport," Nam said. Laureen was shocked, "It was you?" "Yes that was me but I didn't really mean to" "No it's fine, I was also out of myself at that time. You know, tired and stuff", Laureen stated. "So we're good?" asked Nam. "Yes, we're good," Laureen replied. "With that being said, I'll leave you in your safe domain" he then stood and walked away. She looked at him as he walked on when he suddenly turned back; she immediately looked at her food. "Laureen Fray" he shouted. It was loud enough to catch the attention of the other students in the canteen. "I am looking forward to getting to know you better", he continued and walked on. Cheers and giggles filled the room. Laureen blushed and hid a smile.

For the days that followed, Laureen and Nam got even closer. They started going to study well together. Brainstorming specific topics of interest and, at times, teaching each other different studying techniques. Their tandem was approved by everyone. Even the teachers grew fond of both of them.

Both Nam and Laureen were voted to be Romeo and Juliet in their theater class. That gave them more time together as they practiced during their theater class and every after class for the next two months.

Every after practice Nam would walk with Laureen to her apartment. Though Laureen pleaded with him not to but to his insistence, she conceded.

For 7 weeks, the routine came on and on, and they even got closer. On weekends they would roam the city together. Visiting different resto-bars and shops to her liking.

The practice became intense the last week before their presentation, which caused Laureen to faint two days before their final rehearsal. She was brought to the school clinic and was told that Nam was the one who got her there.

At their final rehearsal, Laureen was not able to attend. Nam was worried about her and decided to go to her apartment. When their trial ended. He brought a pot of orchids with him. He knocked several times, but no one answered. Finally, feeling hopeless, he put the pot with a flower in front of the door and left a note on the pot that said:

 "Hope you get well soon."

-Nam-

Minutes after he left, she arrived. She immediately noticed the pot and read the note. Then, she brought it inside and put it on her study desk.

On the next day, March 7, it was finally time to present their Romeo and Juliet Seoul High School edition. They were to give at 7 p.m. The cast and staff were told to meet their director at 5 p.m. backstage. When the roll call started, only one was not around—Laureen. The briefing started without her. After the briefing, everyone proceeded to their posts. It was 6:30 p.m. when Laureen finally arrived. Nam hugged her and then briefed her. It was exactly 7 p.m. when the show started.

The show went on as practiced. The spectators cheered as the show was hearing its climax. At the climax, the part where Romeo and Juliet confess their love, Nam could say his role meaning what he said, but she could not utter a word. She could not tell him she loved him, for she was afraid of breaking him into pieces at the end. So instead, she slapped him and ran backstage. The audience was quiet at first- confused, but later on, the cheering roared up, and the auditorium was filled with thunderous applause. 

In the days that followed, she distanced herself from him. She even exchanged seats. The final exam came, and the result was still the same. He stayed on top while she was in second place.

Days after the final exam, they started practicing for their graduation ceremony. Although they sat next to each other whenever they had practice, no one dared to talk to them.

Nam could not carry it anymore, so after their final rehearsal, he went toward her. When Nam pulled all his might, she was ready to leave, and he called after her. "Laureen Fray," he shouted. She paused and turned, knowing whose voice it was. As he heard her say, "I don't know that I cannot carry this anymore. So in front of all our batchmates. Lureen Fray  I ask for forgiveness." Tears rolled down her eyes as she heard his words. She hugged him tightly and whispered, "You have done nothing wrong," and she turned around and left. 

On their graduation day, everyone was excited. The ceremony began. The batch valedictorian was asked to give a speech. Nam got hold of the mic and started his speech. He restated his high school life in a brief summary and thanked everyone who made his success possible. -"Lastly," he said. "I would like to thank this exceptional young woman who never ceases to amaze me. Ever since she came to our school my meaningless schooldays became meaningful. Ms Laureen Fray," cheers resounded as he spoke of her name. "Surely my high school life was never complete without you. Thank you everyone and have a blissful afternoon." The ceremony went on, and they were announced as graduates. When the ceremony was over, Nam approached Laureen. They congratulated each other. Nam reached into his pocket and let out a small gift box. He handed it to Laureen. "What is this?" Laureen asked as she received the present. She opened it, inside was a silver necklace. Its pendant, patterned with delicate rose figures and shimmering diamonds, was a word that says 'Sudden'. Nam took it out from the box and put it around Laureen's neck. "It fits you," Nam told Laureen after putting it around her neck. "Thank you," Laureen said shyly. "Wait here, I have something for you too," then she went to get something from her bag. She came back with a gift box. She handed it over to Nam. "What is this?" asked Nam. "You'll know once you open it. But promise me you will only open it on my 18th birthday," said Laureen. "Whatever this is, this might be important, but I will open this on your 18th birthday," Nam assured her. "Yes, July 15," replied Laureen. Laureen hugged Nam once more and went on her way.

Hours later, Laureen Fray was back in Japan. But unfortunately, her medication in Seoul was not of help. The very reason why she went to Korea was because of her medical concerns– She had bone cancer. The foreign student exchange was just an excuse, but the medication in Seoul was not enough, so she decided to go back to Japan. 

In the first few weeks that followed, Nam would always communicate with her. They would talk for hours on the phone. Laureen was already admitted to Tokyo Medical Hospital on those days, but she never told him. But as the weeks went by, her condition worsened, and their communication lessened. Finally, it came to the point that she won't accept calls from him.

June 15 came, and it was time for Nam to open the gift. It was 7:30 in the evening when he opened the present. Laureen's diary was inside the box. He read the text starting on June 6 the previous year. As he went on reading, he realized he knew little of her. Tears flowed from his eyes on the last few pages and ran down his cheeks. "Why didn't I know?" He told himself. She wrote about her ill condition and her ill-fated love on the previous page.

April 29

Dear diary,

Finally, on this day, I will graduate. I am so excited! Though the purpose why I came here was to heal my illness, I failed on that part. Still, I'm happy that I will graduate as an honor student. On this day, the man I love dearly will also graduate as our class valedictorian. I know I should tell him what I feel for him; I know he felt the same. But I don't want him to get hurt. I know I won't know what I think. So it's better like this.

I have to go now, the ceremony will begin soon.

Your,

Laureen

That night Nam tried to call Laureen many times, but there was no answer to his calls. He wanted to tell her what he felt after all these years. So he flew to Japan that same night to go to her place. He arrived at dawn and was met by Laureen's mother. 

"Nice meeting you ma'am," he said politely with a Japanese vow.

"Nice meeting you too, Nam," Laureen's mother answered.

She led him to her car, and they went on their way. On the road, Nam seemed uneasy. He got a feeling that something was off. He looked at Laureen's mom, and it was just then that he noticed she was wearing a black shirt. She looked pale, and traces of sleeplessness surrounded her face. He wasn't sure if he should ask her or not, but the feeling of uneasiness won't leave him. Finally, the car stopped; they were at a port. She gestured for him to get out. He followed her out. They both faced the ocean. She hugged herself as the cool breeze blew. It was then that he noticed tears were forming in her eyes. 

"How am I supposed to tell you this?" she started. "All I ever dream of was for my daughter to live a normal life. She has had bone cancer since she was born. There were complications when I bore her that led to her illness."

She shifted and looked at him. "It was 7:30 p.m. last night—" she moved a step near him and put a hand on his shoulder. "-she passed away." After saying it, finally, she sobbed, and it was all he could do not to break apart in front of Laureen's mother. "It was supposed to be her birthday, and we were having fun. She was smiling, and for the first time, it seemed like she was without illness. She even said her wish out loud." Laureen's mother stated, looking back at the ocean. "Her wish was this, 'May the man that I love find someone who can love him back and be with him for the rest of his life. After blowing the candle she smiled, closed her eyes, little did we know that she had already breathed her last. I tried to wake her up, I thought she was just sleeping. It was too late when I realized she wasn't just sleeping." Nam can't speak. How could he speak when the world around him ceased spinning? Even if he will talk, would it even matter? She's already gone, and nothing can be done to take her back to the living world. "At least she died happy knowing that she did the right thing in not telling you what she felt and even hoping the best for you". 

Nam visited her graveyard, and there he sang the song he longed for her to hear. 

"There was a time in my life, 

When I opened my eyes and there you were, 

you were more than a dream. I could reach out and touch you. 

The girl that was long ago. 

There are things that I guess I'll never know when you love someone; you've got to learn to let them go. 

When I Dream About You

That's when everything's all right

You're in my arms

Here next to me, forever

When I dream about you

Boy, you never go away

Just close my eyes

Wait for my dreams

'Cause I still love, loving you."

After singing, he lay beside her graveyard and let the first beam of sunlight brush his face. She's gone, and it is all he could do not to follow her to the other side. 

May 17, 2022 12:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.