"To think or not to think that is the question"

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: Write a story that begins and ends with someone looking up at the stars.... view prompt

2 comments

General

" All the time the stars dazzle the sky. The only difference is that the day-star do not shiver like the night ones...". Maybe I'm the only one thinking such looking at them......


The helipad above a hill, probably the best place to look for the drama, the drama of the nature. The night, the best time to search for the lights.


I closed my eyes to enjoy every bit of the nature and its charisma. With eyes closed, I imagine the nature to be what it could be.



Hushhush! Hear... can't you hear that sound? The tune of wolves walking down the hilly forest. The dead leaves it squashes below its claws. The feeble Octave of an unknown bird. The solo melody of a cuckoo in dark. The harmony of sparrows and doves.

Beat

The howl of wolves, one after another. The nature stops. The small heart beats violating the rules of the Jungle. The wolves follow the beats.... death knock at their doors. Afraid. 

Beat

Now? Can you hear that?

The restless chirping? The orchestra of that crew? The crew of that unknown bird, the Cuckoo, the sparrows, the doves. As if a combination of pleasant musical tone, a chord. 

Beat

The discord stops as the melodious chord of the high noted orchestra starts its concert. 



Wait! can you see that?

The dark clouds above head?

The sky has worn them. To hide?

To hide, hide the blemish of its glowing face. It fears the exposure of the fact of robbery of 3×10^8 m/s.

It puts over a suited grey Cloak of dark and hazy clouds for the greater good, it thinks.

To you it's unfair. To it, it is a beauty.



Stop....... can you feel that?

The tickle of small grass. The kiss of the blowing wind on your cheeks. The struggle of an ant to get on your boots. Dryness of sudden fallen leaves on your moist lips. The breeze that blows your rough hair. 

The Touch of the dust that has holded you in her lap, the air has kiss your forehead, and the rain falls on you making a comfortable blanket. 



Suddenly I felt the nature very close to me. The nature seems very beautiful and kind. But what if it changes? I thought for a while and...........



1st death

The trees nodded as a sign of expressing agreement to the nature as the wind convinces. I don't know how the wind managed me to stay a bit longer. Indeed it knows the art of convincing.

Suddenly the wind got chiller. It has got it's sting that entered right into my heart. I said, " I can't stay longer". It whispered, " I rule the nature". 

That made me think further.

The clouds, they follow her wish. They cover the stars, they shower, they float, they grow- all are ruled by her.

The water, the flood, the tornadoes- all disasters follow her command, her route. The sky, the season-ruled by her. 

Is she right? So, she is the manager of the nature.

Now the white clouds started becoming visible below the neck of the hills. The wind has summoned them. Maybe they are here to punish me for my disagreement. Now I understand the reason the trees nodded 'yes' or they'll get uprooted in no time.

Now it's my turn to endure the consequences.

The clouds seems to be some ghost. The white colour got an ominous feel in it. Everything seemed so hazy. 

The trees started nodding vigorously as if they are praying to the manager to spare my life, forgive me and let me go. But I guess I deserve to be punished. The wind blew right in my ear and whispered- DIE!



2nd death

The leaves bow as drops of water slide by them the nature purify itself at its order. 

The rain started pouring. It showers whenever and wherever they might and specially wherever they feel purification mandatory. 

I am not much of a a rain dancer, don't prefer to get drenched. Under some unfavourable circumstances now I have to wait till it stops. The drops of water started its rhythm on the tin-shed. The rhythm says, "Purify or else die". 

The clouds growled as a sign of warning. I go for logics. So I waited to think for a while rather than getting perplexed.

Water rules more than half of the world. It swipes out the illegal inhabitants that reside by its banks. It controls our food, our life. Water is our life. 

Hence I must be purified. I don't have any time to wait. But alas! I was late to take my decision. The water of the fountain changed its route towards me taking the shape of a water dragon. It opened its mouth and splashed- DIE!



3rd death

The trees surrendered itself for the eternity of the soil. They give life for it.

All living bodies surrender to it. It causes our growth and later asks for Supreme sacrifice, the life.

The sandstorm whirled right beside me and roared- "BOW!"

As I mentioned I don't believe such matters until and unless I find its validity. And here I thought of giving a second thought before doing what it says.

The soil, once destroyed many civilizations, engulfed many extinct creatures and also humans. Has given us the platform to show our arrogance, love, emotions, discoveries and so on and in return it has asked for our lives for its fertility. It holds the nature on it. It is supreme and it is the reason why I the plants survive and so us. It has got all the power to get respect from the beings. 

I must bow. 

The storm has already taken a massive roll through me. And I heard each sand particle say- DIE!




At first I felt I was thinking for no reason at all. But the nature proved me wrong. It has called upon my death long before I came here. Maybe this is the only reason I am here, at the helipad. I have never wanted to be here. The nature has led me to this place and I feel it has its plans already set. It has also forced me to stay longer as the night gets darker and weird. 

Now I know what it wants. I know I can't escape it. I must face this eitherwise or otherwise, I don't have any choice. Actually I had my choices, it offered me, I wasn't ready to take them.



The Ultimate death

I opened my eyes and looked above. Tonight is a bizarre one. 

I was lying on the soil of the helipad and the rain has already drenched me. Wind was blowing so fast that I couldn't hear anything else. I was afraid to move even an inch. I felt a little movement could cause my death very certain. Though I had my death written on the stars of the sky. 

I could see the trees bowing, agreeing the nature, surrendering. But I guess I have lost all my options now. 

The soil has covered me fully, rain drenched my existence and the wind pushed my soul out of the body.



And I kept looking at the terrified stars as they were shocked and shivered frequently at my deadly destruction.

May 01, 2020 11:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Hayley Igarashi
22:06 May 17, 2020

"The clouds, they follow her wish. They cover the stars, they shower, they float, they grow- all are ruled by her." What a surreal, haunting tale! I loved the vivid, terrifying images you created and the sense of dread you built.

Reply

Taskin Hasan
16:38 Oct 22, 2020

Thanks... 😊😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.