11 comments

Fantasy Mystery Romance


Why am I still here? I should be out there, exploring, not worrying about my sun allergy. I try to go outside my house and my skin starts to sting. When I walk back in I find a red rash somewhere.

I have did some research but it is mostly saying that it's because I have sensitivity to the sun. It's more than that it has to be paranormal, like the devil or something. I should go out explore figure out what a ring is and wear it or maybe which ever one you are to do with a ring. I also need to learn what that rectangle thing on that other rectangle thing is. I hear that the one that's on the ground is a table but what I don't know what the rectangular thing is on the table. I mean yes I have looked some things after learning what a computer was and what a phone was. I don't have a phone but I am about to have one I think anyway.

********

I have gotten dressed ready to walk outside when something goes off. What is that!!?? I have never heard that sound before is it something people call a beeper? Or is it a phone maybe that's what that thing on the wall is. It isn't a phone, I know what I phone looks like but it does sound like one.

I walk to the wall where the phone is I touch it and it vibrates as it goes *bring*. I take it off the charger it's on and put it on my ear.

"Hello, is thi-"

I drop the phone when I hear that sound from the dude on the other end of the phone. I pick the phone back up and try to make some words like he did I can't speak for a bit nothing but stammering but I manage to say,

"Sorry, I-" He cuts me off before I can continue to speak.

"Oh hey, is this Carey Carrington?"

"Uhm, I would have to ask 'who's asking'."

"Oh, my apologies, I'm Conor"

"Then yes this is she, how may I be of assistance?"

I go to the bathroom. And look in the mirror, my long brown hair curled, my big hazel eyes with a hint of brown, and my perfect acne free face. I don't particularly know why I went to the bathroom all I know is that it's not to use it.

"Hello, Carey?"

"Uhm, sorry, I was- I'm here."

"Hmm, well I want you to know that I'm your new neighbor and got your number from the phone book. Weird as to why they still make those."

"Make what?"

"Phone books."

"Ah, okay."

I look in the mirror and see red on my cheeks.

"I have question-Connor was it?"

"No, it's Conor"

"That's what I said."

"Nope, you added an N."

"How can you tell? I said Connor."

"Exactly, it's Conor"

"Uhm, can I call you Conny?"

"We just met, why all the nicknames?"

"It's one and it's more of a name to call you because I don't know how to say your name."

"That's a nickname Carey."

My cheeks turn red again, what is it called. I go to my computer and look up 'what's it called when you have red cheeks'. It seems that I am blushing. But why, why do people blush? I don't know the answer so I look it up. It means that I'm nervous or embarrassed but by what, I am talking to a dude on the phone.

"Hey, you should come over."

"I know that I'm your neighbor and all but I don't want to leave the house."

"How about I come to you."

"You mean to my house?" I smile and head to my room. "If so, why not?"

"Yea your house, I'll be there in a bit."

"Bye"

He says 'bye' and hangs up. I walk to my room and change my clothes putting on a different bra, a tank-top long sleeved shirt, and a skirt jumper. Why I change my clothes I don't know, before I changed I had on a big T-shirt that covered my shorts. As I wait for Conny to get here I think about why I was blushing I wasn't embarrassed we were just having a talk. What is wrong with that, what is to be embarrassed about?

I think about the times the delivery teen would come over and drop off my food or groceries. I would stutter to speak to him and he would say 'your cheeks are red'. I didn't know what it meant so he just put my stuff in the house and I would hurry and shut the door. Omg, I thought he was cute so that means that I was blushing because I liked him so do I like Conny? He is the one person who brought it upon himself to call me because he was my new neighbor, no one has ever done that before. I like it when someone is nice out of the kindness of their heart.

Din din din din, din din din din!! My doorbell sounds as I think about Conny.

"Hey, there! Please shut the door the Sun it hurts, burns even."

"Oh, I'm sorry! I assumed that you would like sun from the way you sounded."

"And you payed attention to my voice because?"

"Uhm, I- I- I like you" He smiles "At least I think I like you, I saw you through your window when you were changing and I thought you were pretty so I called you in hope that you would maybe think that I- hey, are you listening to me"

"Oh, u-uh-uhm, yea of course I am you said that you like the sun because of it's beautiful qualities."

"No, not what I said at all" He laughs "What's on your mind?"

"I just thinking about what a blush is and why I did it when we talked." I start. I look at him to see him blushing. "I want to know why I can't go into the sun or why I am always hungry even after I eat."

"Well, If I wanted to joke with you I would say that you are a Vampire."

May 07, 2021 21:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Harr Bear
21:21 May 07, 2021

This is my first post! I want the truth, all the truth, and nothing but the truth. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Whitney Jones
13:31 May 10, 2021

Yea, this was good. Pay attention to the parts in the story that has grammar mistakes or punctuation mistakes. Read it before you submit it for it to make sense to you and to all. But overall sis, good story!

Reply

Harr Bear
14:27 May 10, 2021

Right, I think you will like the next part better because it's coming soon!

Reply

Whitney Jones
15:18 May 10, 2021

lol, kk. Let me know when, teeheehee!

Reply

Harr Bear
17:36 May 10, 2021

You know I will.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Harr Bear
17:50 May 10, 2021

You know I will.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
13:26 May 10, 2021

Your story was GREAT!!! You said you wanted me to be truthful so here you go: I think your word choices could've been better. Some of your sentences seemed a little wordy and some didn't have that many words. Maybe consider changing this, "I try to go outside my house and my skin starts to sting." to "Whenever I try to go outside, a stinging sensation runs through my body - and it hurts, really bad." Also, I think you could've added more imagery and detail to your writing instead of just telling the reader. For example you said, "Or is it...

Reply

Harr Bear
13:29 May 10, 2021

With all the feedback it seems that you don't think it's a great read, lol. But thanks anyway I will use it for the next one I right but I will not change anything in the first it just gone take too long and I write/type slow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

this is great! love the subtle little hints about her being a vampire :) great first story overall!

Reply

Harr Bear
13:20 May 10, 2021

Thank you much, I didn't want it to be obvious but I wanted you to know, you know?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.