The Mansion’s Shadow

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about an old family secret surfacing generations later.... view prompt

4 comments

General

Roy wanted to give Bethany the best surprise of her life as he was trying to propose for marriage


Roy used to live in London and was working with a big financial corporation managing a hedge fund. He was from a very wealthy royal family of Scotland, “the Nortons”. His family was very well respected and there were a lot of stories whispered in hush tones about their past. They even had a mansion in Scotland. His whole family was residing in Edinburgh.


He met bethany in London. bethany was working in starbucks. Roy used to visit Starbucks a lot for coffee. They met in the restaurant a few times and slowly came closer. His family, however was not approving of this relationship and wanted Roy to find someone of his status. But as they say, love conquers all. They were now together for 15 years


Roy wanted to marry her and so does she. Roy wanted to make this the most memorable day of her life. Bethany was an orphan and used to live with her grandmother.


They both loved each other madly.


As Roy’s family was against it, Roy booked an old house in old London and he threw a surprise party for bethany. The house was very beautiful as It was covered with in the ShaDow of a beautiful Mansion near by. he invited all of his friends and asked Bethany to come to the house. As Bethany walked into the door, the whole place lit up. There were flowers every where and a well dressed, handsome looking Roy was bending on knees with a ring in his hands, sitting in the middle of courtroom. Bethany started crying as she could see what is going to happen. All her life she had suffered a lot. Moving into so many fosters homes, she finally found someone with whom she can have a home, kids and a nice peaceful life. she was going to marry the man of her dreams. He asked Bethany -“will you marry me?, she said ”yes” and suddenly everyone came outside and started congratulating both of them. They were so happy together. This was the best night of their lives. The party ended after a while and everyone went home. Bethany and Roy decided to take a walk back home. They discussed how they are going to spend there life. which car to buy, which home to buy, how many kids and what not. As the clock turned to 3;15, bethany asked Roy - “dose your heart belong to me? And Roy said- “I don’t have it as it belonged to you from the moment I saw you.


At 5:00 in the morning, a cyclist was going for a ride when he saw a very old woman eating an ounce of uncooked meat near the dumpsteR. It looked like heart. He asked her-“ what are you doing” and she said I’ve not eaten in 15 years And started smiling with a devilish look”. The cyclist went away and as he looked back, the woman was gone


next day an Unidentified body was found near the Thames river. Later scotland Yard concluded that it was Roy Norton’s body. They also found Bethany clothes covered with her blood. They concluded that they were mugged or attacked by someone and Bethany must have drowned into the river. The only thing disturbing police was of a missing body part of Roy. His heart


john, a news reporter covering Roy’s case, was going through the paper in Starbucks. He came across an old article about the norton family of Scotland and how they killed so many innocent people to reach where they are. He almost spilled his coffee.


it was written there that 6 Norton bothers in 1235, massacred a family, the arlingtons, living in old London.they killed 32 members of the family except their daughter Bethany, 15 years old, as they all fell in love with her. They fought each other for her but finally they all had their way with her for 25 years. She was in chains for her whole life. They always said to her-“ you have my heart from the moment I saw you”. She died in chains on her 40th birthday.


over the past 700 years 457 Norton family members, all men, have been murdered. All of the bodies had one thing in common, the heart.


John tried to pull all of this together but every effort of his went into vain. Nobody believed him. Not even the Nortons. He even went to Scotland Yard and tried everything. They even tried to investigate but it was all in vain. They went to Bethany’s grandmother also. She said that she was not her grandmother And she came to live with her out of nowhere. She told everyone that she came from yorkshire and even had the ids and they haven’t heard from her from the day Roy died. Even at Starbucks, she got the job because she told them that she had worked before. She had all the documents. But while they went to get the documents they were all gone. Nobody knew her past. The address which she gave to her so called grandmother was actually a small plot with no building whatsoever. He digged up everything he could of all the mysterious deaths of nortons but couldn’t find a connection. He was actually going crazy and was on the verge of losing his job, his wife and everything he has ever worked for. At times he used to see flashes of a very sad girl covered in chains in an old mansion.


After 2 years, As he saw his life crumbling he gave it all up and prayed that it is all over now


The mansion near which Roy proposed Bethany was “Arlington‘s Mansion“. It was this mansion‘s shadow that was covering the house


after 5 years, Roy’s cousin Alex Norton went to Harvard. He met this beautiful girl studying politics. The moment he saw her, he thought he lost his heart to her. Her name was “Bethany”



........................................................,,,,,,,,..........................................,,,,,.,,...,,,................................

August 17, 2020 17:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Cheryl Fulks
01:44 Aug 27, 2020

Interesting story, a few typos, it helps me if I read my submission several times but still I seemed to have typos. I would appreciate if you would take a look at mine. 😁

Reply

Qazi Zufar Jamal
11:51 Aug 27, 2020

Thanks Cheryl, will try to avoid next time 👍 also will definitely see your story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
07:19 Aug 23, 2020

Oooh, what a unique concept! Chill down my spine as I read the ending... P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Yellow Light?" Thank you :D

Reply

Qazi Zufar Jamal
19:18 Aug 24, 2020

Thanks Deborah, will surely do!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.