1 comment

Creative Nonfiction Teens & Young Adult Fantasy

Wasn't the point of a convenience store to be convenient? The store was nestled in the bush about a 10-minute walk from the main street.

The sliding the opened with a electronic chime alerting all of Bowen’s arrival. It looked like any old 24 hour convenience store, it had all the basic aisles for fruits, vegetables, snacks, lollies, soft drinks, toiletries etc. but it felt wrong. The buzzing of the fluorescent lights and slushie machine filled the store with an uncanny cacophonous rhythm he found his heart now beating to.

Bowen approached the vacant counter warily looking around for any sign of life, “Hello?”

A girl shot up from behind the counter, a bit dazed as if she had just woken up from a nap startling him. Her nametag read ‘Shylah’, her black hair braided back like a thick rope. he was probably 18, if he hadn’t dropped they would have been in the same grade.

“Hi, how can I help you?” Shylah said with a sweet customer service voice.

“I’m Bowen.” Bowen said, “I was hired last week.”

Shylah’s customer service smile dropped, “Conno.”

A man came over to the counter. Conno's hair had been buzzed leaving his head looking like a fuzzy coconut. His bloodshot eyes lead Bowen to believe he had been crying but it was not until he smelt him he knew what was up. His nametag was slanted with his name ‘Connor’ and ‘Supervisor’ on it. If he weren’t wearing that nametag, he would have never expected him to be a supervisor.

“What’s up?” Conno asked itching his nose piercing.

“He's here,” Shylah replied looking Bowen up and down.

~

I hate this job.

I hate this job.

I hate this job.

Bowen thought to himself as the old lady slowly sifted through her purse for her wallet. It wasn’t a hard job just tedious, he felt like he was losing brain cells every minute.

“There it is.” The old lady chuckled showing off her elephant print clasp wallet she finally located in her purse, “How much was it again?”

“$16,” Bowen repeated, impatiently tapping the counter behind the register.

Bowen watched as the old lady shifted past her notes grabbing a fist full of coins and dumping them in his hand, “There you go.”

He stared at the coins trying to make a mental calculation, “I need another $2 and 30 cents.”

“You gotta excuse the old girl its very late.” The old lady chuckled and counted the coins she pulled out of her purse passing them to the cashier, “That should be it.”

Bowen put the money into the register and passed her the receipt, “Have a good night.”

The old lady nodded and waddled out the door.

Bowen leaned against the counter feeling his eyelids grow heavy, threatening to shut forcing him to sleep, he looked down at his watch at 2:48 am. He took a big gulp of water but that just made him feel sleepier. He felt a shiver go down his spine the hair on his arms stood on end, something was watching him.

Bowen knew that Australia was known for its dangerous animals like its reptiles, he’s encountered his fair share of snakes and lizards in his 19 years on this Earth, but nothing like the giant grey bird-lizard thing at the door, its face was framed with a mane of red feathers that trailed down to its tail. It was maybe 7 or 8 metres long. Three large talons on each foot which was reminiscent a bird of prey's claws. Bowen had half a mind to compliment them, but he expected the lizard-bird thing to say, ‘better to gut you with my dear’.

The chime of the door assured him this was no dream. Bowen froze not daring to move a muscle as the beast prowled through the aisle out of view.

“Bo have you seen the-“ Shylah started but she saw the look on his pale face and followed his gaze to the long tail disappearing into the aisles. She sighed and gave Bowen a look saying she doesn’t get paid enough for this. She gestured to him to duck behind the counter, he obeyed instantly. He watched the dinosaur looking creature tear up cereal boxes on the cameras as Shylah slowly crept up to the counter sliding next to him.

“What on earth is that?” Bowen asked.

“A bloody Burrunjor,” Shylah grumbled like it was a regular pest as she pulled a draw off its tract putting it down on the floor beside her, she sifted through the pens and paper pulling out a laser pointer, "They are so annoying."

Bowen watched her curiously as she peeked over the counter, with the laser pointer in hand like a gun. Bowen kept his back pressed against the counter, watching the Burrunjor on the security cameras.

He caught sight of the little red dot dance in front of the aisles hoping to entice the Burrunjor. The beast's beak peek out from the aisle to look at the dot, it turned its head so its yellow eye could watch it carefully as if calculating its next move.

Shylah pointed the red dot out the front door taunting the beast with the red dot, it pounced, the dot zipped out the door into the carpark with the Burrunjor hot on its tail. Bowen wondered if the glass was bulletproof with the way the dinosaur-looking thing charged at it into the night. Shylah jumped over the counter falling on her knees and pressed the button locking the door, she took shelter behind the ice cream fridge.

“Is it gone?” Shylah asked.

“I think so,” Bowen said as he inspected the carpark cameras.

Shylah got up dusting down her knees, “That hurt.”

“That was cool,” Bowen admitted getting up.

This coworker shrugged like it was no big deal with a subtle smirk on her lips knowing how cool that was, her body slightly trembled still pumped with adrenaline, “I guess.”

"What the hell?" Conno exclaimed walking out of the staff room.

He followed the trail of Fruit Loops into the aisle, the juice pooling into the cracks of the tiles, ripped up cereal boxes. He felt like screaming, but his irritated expression would have to suffice. All that money flushed right down the drain. Conno rubbed the bridge of his nose wondering how he was going to explain this to the manager.

Shylah put a mop in Bowen's hand and patted his shoulder, "Have fun newbie."

~

Bowen sat back in his car relieved that his shift was finally done, trying to comprehend what the hell just happened. Is this how each of his shifts going to go? He would probably have to get his cardio up in case he needs to make a quick escape. The peaceful silence was interrupted by his obnoxiously loud ringtone. He looked down at his phone to see Eliana’s name lit up on the screen, he frowned wondering why she was calling him at 4 am.

Bowen flipped open his phone greeting his little sister, “What’s up?”

“Hi, baby.” The person on the other line greeted.

Bowen froze recognizing that voice but knowing that was not Eliana, “Mum? Why do you have Eliana’s phone?”

“I needed to call you.” His Mum said, “You need to come home, everyone is wondering where you are.”

“I’m not coming home,” Bowen confirmed sternly noting her drunkard tone.

“Yes, you are.” She pleaded, “We need you, your siblings need you.”

“No,” Bowen said feeling his face go red with anger.

“I am your Mother, and you will do as you are told.” His Mum snapped.

“Then Mother your other children, I’m not going to do it for you. Don’t call me again.” Bowen said firmly snapping his phone shut then threw it into the backseats and hopped out of the car. He took off his boots and socks throwing them into the back frowning at the sound of his phone persistently ringing. Bowen walked down the track to the beach, the numbing cold of the sand on his toes made him shiver. He was going to have to change his phone number again, but he still wanted Eliana to have his number to keep in contact with his siblings.

Bowen felt so selfish for leaving his siblings behind and running away, but it was either that or sacrificing his mental health and delving deeper into insanity.

The arrival of the sun was welcomed with vibrant colours that painted the sky combating the darkness, he took a deep breath composing himself. What is done is done, sometimes you just have to be selfish.

He dusted his knees and butt heading up to his car.

~

Bowen dumped his boots by the front door and put his keys in the fruit bowl.

The island had a small town almost everyone knew each other but Bowen knew no one, he caught the ferry to the island and just never returned home. He rented out a small apartment above a dentist.

He bought a second-hand couch and dumped blankets on it as a makeshift bed, he had a fluffy burgundy carpet to cover the cold tile floor and a lavish fish tank that took up 70% space on the kitchen counter, besides those items they were the only furniture in his place.

His apartment may be cramped and dingy, but it was his and only his.

Bowen checked the pantry for something to eat, it was stocked with Weet-Bix and a squeezy bottle of honey and bread. He opened the fridge, nothing but butter and lactose-free milk that was expiring in two days. There was a bag of lichees, but he was saving them for later.

Honey on toast it is. He made a mental note to go grocery shopping. Bowen sat on the floor leaning against his fridge and ate his toast watching his fish aimlessly swim around.

His fish bobbed around their little tank, their tank was grand and well decorated, rainbow pebbles covered the floor, and waterweeds flourishing, he remembered when he first installed them Soy and Sauce swam happily between the leaves wiggling among the foliage ecstatic. They had plenty of hidey holes, but they never seemed to hide when he came into the room. It was worth spending the majority of his pay check if it meant seeing their stupid little faces every morning.

Bowen let himself fall into the blankets on the couch pulling them over his head and submerging himself completely under the blankets. The only place he truly felt safe. Letting himself disappear into the realm of dreams.

~

His sleep was interrupted by neighbour’s kids arguing over the most trivial things like eating the last of the BBQ Shapes, he found it strangely comforting like his own siblings were in the room next door.

Bowen rolled over on the couch looking up at the sliding backdoor, the curtains half drawn letting the afternoon sunlight through. A shadowy figure moved across the deck, maybe his neighbour’s kid climbed the balconies again. Bowen felt his hair stand on end, but the figure was too tall to be a kid.

At first glance, it looked like it was some kind of gorilla. Bowen put on his glasses, that was no gorilla. Disproportionately long arms, hung at its side. It was like Chewbacca from Star Wars but its feet were turned backwards.

He knew what this creature was from campfire stories on school trips about Yowies and how they would gobble up children if they left their cabin’s past lights out. It was like the Australian version of Bigfoot or was a Bigfoot the American equivalent of a Yowie?

Bowen realised with great dismay he left the door jar no wonder he was cold last night. He looked over at the fish tank, Soy and Sauce were blissfully unaware of their guest just outside the door. Bowen slowly got up from the couch. Bowen slowly closed the flimsy screen door squeaking as it ran down the track, the Yowie just watched the door move with a blank expression. It looked back at Bowen as if he didn’t know what to do in this situation either.

Bowen frowned as he watched it rip up the potted spinach he had just planted. The Yowie ate it sloppily looking back at him like a teasing toddler knowing it did something wrong.

He closed the glass door and locked it drawing the curtain, at least it was on his balcony and not his neighbour’s.

~

Bowen hadn’t really gone exploring around the town yet so maybe this was his chance to get acquainted with his new home.

He walked down the main street lined with shops from cafes, a bottle shop (maybe he should hit it up after his walk, he needed it after work), the nail salon, a lolly shop, a souvenir shop closed for the off-season, surf club by the pier. He strode down to the boardwalk, some old men were fishing down by the rock pools, some surfers braving the cold water for an afternoon surf session.

At the end of the boardwalk was a bush track that lead up to the lookout.

The magpies singing to one another in a melodious chord. Living in the city he never got to enjoy nature, the eucalyptus smelt sweet, and the air was cold, but his body was hot with sweat as he continued his trek up the hill. He heard a crash of leaves, he whipped around just to see a goanna scrambling across the leaf litter. Bowen felt a bit disappointed that it wasn’t a strange creature.

Bowen reached the lookout’s small wooden platform he put his hands on his hips feeling victorious, he looked down the track and realised it wasn’t actually that steep but he was proud of himself, he never used to go on walks so this was a real step up to rotting away in his room sleeping.

Bowen leaned on the railing taking in the scenery, he could get used to this. To the right was the farmlands, just below the mountain was the maritime town built down to the coastline, and to the left was predominantly bush, a nature reserve, probably where the cryptids hid away. Bowen’s eyes followed a ferry as it left the harbour on course to the mainland he could see in the distance.

The sky tinged orange telling him it was time to leave before it gets dark. Bowen continued down the track careful not to slip on the wet stones, he did in fact slip. He fell forward. His body hit the rocks and rolled down the stairs, something gently caught Bowen’s head before he could crack his skull open, his vision was obscured by what could be described as a white blanket.

That’s it I’m dead, Bowen thought to himself.

The white thing whipped across his face like confetti, he followed the thing as it flew into the cavities between the rocks hiding from view.

He wasn’t dead, the stinging in his legs and arms reminded him of his mortality. Bowen dusted off the dirt from his raw palms and his knees, his only pair of jeans now ripped. At least it was a trend, all-natural not man-made. Bowen slowly stood back up, his knees a bit shaky but aside from the couple cuts nothing was broken which was good.

Bowen glanced back to see a couple of those creatures peering from behind the rocks at him. The tiny creatures were probably about the same size as his index finger. They were pure white with no discernible facial features.

The tiny creatures became aware of his gaze and disappeared into the cracks of the rocks.

This was going to be a fun place to live.

August 26, 2024 22:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Felicity Louise
22:34 Sep 01, 2024

This is my first story submission, I'm still working on my writing and I hope you enjoy it! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.