2 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult High School

It was just 4 months ago that Yukemi had asked me out. I was taken aback and just agreed. 4 months on and I still have so many questions. Why did she even ask me out? Why am I dating her? Why did I stay in it?

“Here Juno! Come here! The fireworks are about to begin, and I want to watch it with you! Oh… what’s up? You seem bothered. Is something on your mind?”

I turned around to see a pair of bright green eyes beam straight into mine. Her lips curved at the end into a minute and loving smile. Her dimples were accentuated under the brightness of the festival lights. She broke into a toothy smile as I turned to face her.

“Why did you ask me out, Yukemi?”

4 months ago, it was on a bright and sunny morning when it happened. I just came back from my basketball match that we had won. I had scored the game winner and was celebrating with the team on my way back. Things were going so well for me. I had just scored straight As for my finals and we had just won our division with the game winner. I was nearly hailed as a celebrity in my high school. Just then, Yukemi walked up to me and gave me a bunch of flowers with a card attached. I graciously accepted it and went back to celebrating with my team. I could hear her voice ring out as she congratulated me. Heading back home, my eyes glanced at the bouquet she had passed to me. My eyes rolled over the envelope. “I should probably open it”.

Hey Juno! I just wanted to congratulate you on the massive win that you had just attained for our school. The buzzer beater was so good. I was so captivated by how you were just scoring on their defence. Anyways, I wanted to ask you something else. In fact, it is more of a confession. I really like you and would like to ask you out on a date tomorrow? I booked a restaurant for us at about 7.30pm. If you are not interested in me, that is perfectly acceptable too. I will just cancel the reservation for us. I really hope you reply, and things end up well for us.”

I looked up and down the letter. This was unexpected to say the least. She was pretty cute and definitely my type, but I have never seen her in this way before. I really had no clue that she liked me in this way. “Why not give it a shot? What is the worst that could happen?” I called her that night and decided to get into the relationship!

“Well, you see! It started around middle school. I was on my way back home and had passed by the arcade. I was trying to distract myself from the situation at home and in school. You were there, fiddling around with the claw machine and had just won a soft toy. You caught me staring at you and handed me the soft toy and proceeded to be on your way. That one act meant so much to me. I had never received such a kind act ever in my life and I really wanted to get to know you better.”

She knew me during middle school!! I hated myself in middle school. I had a ridiculous haircut and barely took care of myself. It was nothing like how I am now. I was a complete mess back then. How could she have liked me? There was no way… I reeled away in shock. Yet, she did not notice.

“I was really touched by your gesture. I couldn’t really hang out with you though as we had different classes and study timings. Hence, when I heard we were going to the same high school, I was really excited to meet you and hang out with you. I couldn’t believe the moment I first set eyes on you. You had changed so much. You looked incredibly handsome and so muscular. I was taken aback. I had overheard that you really liked cute and giggly girls, so I went around reading how to become such. I even dyed my hair candy pink for you as I knew that was your favourite colour. I really do like you even though… hey why are you blushing so much? What’s up with you?”

My face had turned bright red. She had been chasing me since middle school. How could I have known? She definitely changed a lot, but she was still Yukemi at heart. Nothing about that has changed. She moved closer to me. I could see the sparkle in her eyes as she stared into mine. I could see the whole universe in them. She inched closer to me. My heart was palpitating at a rapid speed. I saw the transformation clearly now. Her midnight black hair had changed to a bright candy pink. Her dorky thick rimmed glasses had disappeared. Her short hair was now in luscious locks. She was everything that I wanted, and she changed herself for me. I looked down into her eyes. Something stirred within my chest. My stomach felt weird.

“I have to go! I’m sorry Yukemi! Something urgent has cropped up! I’ll catch you tomorrow!” I bolted off into the night. I could see her confused look in the corner of my eye as I ran away from her. What is going on with me? Is this what love feels like? Butterflies in the stomach? My heart at my throat? Am I actually in love with her? I felt scared! I have never felt so vulnerable before. I actually cared for her… That was the moment I knew… I knew I loved her and there was no walking away from it. I looked up in the sky. It was a full moon today. Love may be scary yet there was a certain undeniable allure to it. Maybe, just maybe love, isn’t so bad after all.

December 18, 2020 16:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Aaina Aleszezyk
12:10 Dec 26, 2020

Enjoyed it!! :)

Reply

Dinesh Divaharan
14:34 Dec 27, 2020

Thank you so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.