0 comments

Christmas Fiction Holiday

The town was quiet, most of the young people were away at school or University. The stranger walked to the park in the centre of town and sat down at one of the benches. Usually, the thing to do was sit down in a bar and cause a scene without saying a thing. He didn’t plan that this time though, not that he ever really wanted to make a scene, it just came with the territory. He had a lot of regrets in his life. He knew in part his actions were to blame for the state of this town. He had made many wrong decisions in his youth. Yet through events beyond his control, he had faced what he had become and what he had done. His life was different now and he knew that there was nothing more he could do to erase his actions or be any more forgiven than he had already been. He knew that he needed to give these people that same chance, whether they knew they needed it or not.

It was the Christmas season, not that you could tell by looking at the place. He pulled a wreath out of his bag and went over to the church nearby. The sun was already quite strong even though it was early. The grass was dry and crunchy obviously water restrictions had been tough this year. He hung the wreath on the closest hook to the door he could find. Then he knocked and walked away letting whoever answered it have the opportunity to read the note in peace. The plan was simple in his head, hopefully the execution would be the same.

The church door opened and the person inside saw the note that had been left. Gently they took it off the wreath and as they read it a smile formed on their face and they ran back inside.

He wondered if anyone was left who would recognise him, of course this was the sort of place that people never really moved away from, at least it used to be. Mr Adams at the hotel hadn’t recognised him, it had been a few years though and maybe people around here wanted to forget him. 

His next stop was Mrs Seaton’s house, her gate hung onto the fence for dear life bent at a strange angle. He kneeled down and got out his wrench he unscrewed the final bolt that was holding it, as he did so he noticed faces peering out from behind curtains, nobody came out to ask what he was doing though. He walked down the dry dusty street to a place he knew where you could make or repair almost anything as long you paid the entrance fee. He got to work, thankfully he’d picked up a few skills along with his regrets. It took him a while, but he was happy with the finished product. The same faces peered out at him when he replaced the restored gate back in its rightful position. He walked on, there was still more to do, and he needed to rest.

The shops had everything he wanted as he purchased lights, decorations and other supplies still no-one wanted to interact with him. The shop assistants would barely look at him. He wasn’t sure if it was the way he looked or the way they treated all strangers these days. It didn’t used to be this way in fact it used to be the opposite. 

He carried on going to the printing shop and printed out the flyers he had designed. He called up restaurants and cafes, he purchased sound equipment and more lights. He always paid in cash; he had saved for this moment for many years. 

He had gone from place to place, healing relationships and doing good deeds in an attempt to bring joy back to the people who had been hurt and whom he had discarded when they tried to help him. Mostly it had worked, in some cases it hadn’t, and he had to accept that not everyone could accept that he had changed or wanted anything to do with him now that he had. This was the final place though; this is where it had started. He didn’t know what he would do next, it didn’t matter.

For the people and things, he couldn’t repair, he offered money, anonymous donations. He reminded himself that he wasn’t trying to buy back their forgiveness, just trying to help the people out of their current woes. It was a long few days, he noticed that people had begun to talk about this stranger in their town. The one who was spending big money, and no-one had ever talked to. Stories grew up about who he was and what he wanted. Some thought that he was a troublemaker others felt that he some sort of spirit cursed to do good around the town. Still, no-one approached him.

The day he had waited for had finally come, first he went to the best tailor shop in town then he went to the hairdresser. They looked at him with fear, no doubt they had heard the stories. They did not refuse however and carefully shaved his beard and cut his hair. Their look of fear turned to astonishment when they realised who this stranger actually was. He thanked them for their service and paid them extra to not mention who he was. He wished it was not so hot, so he could pull a hood over his head and hide himself. He instead pulled his wide-brim hat low and returned to the hotel.

His rest was over, he arrived at the park where he had started. It looked different now, all of his hard work over the past few days appeared to have paid off. There were still a few hours until sunset and the food began to arrive, he couldn’t keep his secret much longer, he wasn’t yet ready to officially reveal himself though. So, he put on the red and white floppy hat, the matching suit redesigned for the heat, he tried the beard, but it was too much, even this late in the day and went to greet those who were bringing the food. They did not seem to recognise him, and they didn’t recoil in fear. At least that meant some things had already changed for the better.

The start time approached, the lights came on twinkling all the way up the huge trees in the park. Each one full of stars, angels and all manner of other Christmas decorations. It had cost him more than he was prepared to admit yet looking at it now it was worth it. He sat there basking in the lights when he realised that other than the caterers, whom he could see were beginning to get nervous, no-one had arrived. Things had not changed enough he thought, people were too scared to leave their comfortable routine. He knew then that there was one thing that he could do. He plugged in the electric guitar and froze. His mind went back to all of the things he had done, all the seemingly unrelated events that had led him to this point. He stood there, the anxiety creeping over him of what would happen if this didn’t work, what if they never changed, he didn’t mind if they continued to hate him. They couldn’t survive as they were though, they had to go remember how they used to be, they had to change, understand that people could. He breathed in deeply, counting as he held his breath and slowly exhaled. He did this a few more times and then his hand brushed softly on his guitar strings and he began to play. The caterers turned towards him as they heard the melodic tones coming from the stage. Lights began to turn on in the homes surrounding the park. It was working, he knew though that they needed a push to get past that final barrier. Closing his eyes, he felt himself become someone else as he opened his mouth and pushed the air out of his body to sing ‘O come all ye faithful’ he felt himself stop playing on his guitar and entirely focus on the singing. As he sang more and more people arrived looking up at him. People stood together whom had not seen each other in years, despite only living a few streets away from each other. He sang another song and then another. Soon it seemed as if the whole town had come. 

Then he sensed the time had come so he stopped singing, feeling the reverent silence in the crowd. He opened his mouth again and spoke softly into the microphone “I’m sorry for what has happened to this town and although you have probably heard many stories about who I am and what I am doing here, I want you to know that I am only back here to help” “I know who you are Chris Seaton a voice shouted out, it was the priest from the church. “I read your note and I want you to know that I forgive you and would appreciate it if you forgave us” there was murmuring in the crowd. People began to realise the changes that had occurred since Chris had come back, some knew him, others had heard only stories, however they all realised that they were missing something important, and that realisation had only happened because of what had happened this past week and was still happening now. 

Apologies and message of acceptance and forgiveness came from the crowd. Not just to Chris but also to others whom they realised that they had wronged. Chris began to cry, he had cried many times over the years, however he had never been so open in public. He cried because the people of the town realised that they had much to repair and restore to each other and their own lives. As the people openly rejoiced at their realisation. Chris began to play again taking requests from the crowd. The atmosphere became more jovial, and the celebration lasted long into the night. 

June 01, 2021 08:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.