FOREVER CHANGED

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: There’s been an accident — what happens next?... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

My life changed forever the day I got the call that the love of my life was in a car accident. I fell to my knees crying. That morning me and my love shared breakfast. I looked into her beautiful eyes and told her I loved her.

She gave me that playful smile I love so much. She told me she loved me too. To the moon and back.

Angeliyah, a beautiful name for my angel. My one and only. She left home after breakfast never thinking I would get the most devastating call of my life.

I waited all day at work eager to get home to my beautiful Angeliyah. When I got home and she wasn't there. So, I began cooking dinner. Then I got the call.

I will remember the time I got the call. It's seared into my memory forever, 7:21 pm.The person at the end of the call told me there's been an accident. I knew it was my angel. They told me to come to the hospital.

They wouldn't tell me anything else. I began to tell myself, no not my beautiful angel. This has to be a mistake.

I went to the hospital. I rushed into the E.R. and asked for Angeliyah Grey. I was praying this would be a mistake but it wasn't. The nurse told me to wait for the doctor.

I prayed and prayed my angel would be okay. That she would walk though those doors and surprise me. But that wasn't to be.

What the doctor told me next destroyed me. He said my angel has brain trauma. spinal cord damage, broken and facial fractures. There was a big risk my angel wouldn't survive. I stood in front of the doctor frozen.

I couldn't breathe. My head was spinning. I broke down in front of the doctor. The doctor told me to have faith. I never believed in anything accepted the love I have for my angel.

One of the nurses led me to my angel's room. I braced myself for what I would see. I entered her room and I saw the most unbelievable sight. My angel peacefully sleeping. I went to her and sat down.

I stared at her. I didn't know what to say. My eyes were focused on my angel. I began to cry again. I grabbed her hand so I can feel her again.

I was struggling to get the words I wanted to say out. All I could do was cry. When my crying was done my anger came rushing in. I punched the wall. I didn't care if it hurt or that I could have broken my hand.

Someone hurt my angel. I didn't know who hurt her. I had to find out. The doctor came back in. I asked him how my angel got into the car accident?

The doctor told me a drunk driver hit her car head on. The guy was killed on impact. I wish he was alive so I can kill him all over again. I hope with every fiber of my being he rots in hell.

I didn't know what to do next. My anger was still there. My angel survived but then again, she might not survive. I did not know how to live my life without her.

I had to leave my angel all by herself in the hospital. I didn't want to but I had no choice. I went home to a house that was dark and cold.

My angel brought life to me, to this house and to every one she came in contact with. Her beauty was rare like a diamond. Her smile was infectious. There are so many words that can describe my angel.

She was the kind of person that would help anyone in need. You ask her for help and she would give it. No questions asked. That was the kind of person my Amgeliyah was.

I didn't want to go inside my home. Not without my angel. She put her heart and soul into this house. Everything in this house has Angeliyah written all over. I went in anyways. It was hard. I began to cry all over again.

I woke up on the floor. I didn't realize I fell asleep on the floor. My eyes were red and puffy. My phone was lighting up. My family and friends were calling me. I didn't want to speak to any of them.

I got up from the floor and called for my angel. She didn't answer me. Then I realized my beautiful angel was in a car accident. My heart broke all over again.

I couldn't even go in the room I shared with my angel. Her presences was all over the room. I grabbed my clothes and went to the guest room.

Over the next couple of weeks, I tried to cope with life without my angel. Her condition didn't change according to the doctors. Twice she flat lined. The doctors worked hard to bring her back and they did.

I couldn't bare to be in the hospital any longer. I left and didn't go back to the hospital for weeks.

I felt so alone without my angel. I felt lost without her. I couldn't think. I couldn't eat. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't breathe. I didn't know what to do.

I wander through life going to my angel's favorite places. She loved the park and the lake. She loved watching the flowers bloom and the birds flying. She loved looking at the stars.

My angel loved life. She loves me. She would be there for me even during my darkest days and I had plenty of them. So, why was I running away from her?

I went to the lake one day. I sat on my angel's favorite bench. I closed my eyes. I found myself in a beautiful peaceful place. I never seen anything like it before.

My angel was there in front of me. She grabbed my hand. She told me to go with her. I did. I followed my angel. She didn't say a word. We just walked together. My angel looked beautiful.

I recognized the place my angel took me too. It was the hospital. I wonder why she was taking me here. I didn't have to wonder anymore. Me and my angel stopped.

She looked at me and smiled. We entered room 222. My angel's room. She pointed at the bed. There was my beautiful angel sleeping peacefully.

I remember the exact words my angel told me. She said "Fight for me. Don't give up on me. If you do, I won't wake-up. Believe that I will wake-up."

My angel disappeared. I stood there alone once again. I knew my angel was right. I wasn't going to disappointed her. I opened my eyes and rushed home.

I didn't bother to take a shower. I grabbed my angel's favorite books and went back to the hospital. I went to her room and sat down next to her. I began to read to my angel.

Not only did I read to her. I told her stories. I kissed her hand. I told my angel I wasn't leaving her. That I was fighting for her, for us.

I told my angel so many times to fight to live, fight for our love. I wouldn't stop loving her so matter what. Days, weeks, months, I went to the hospital and simply talked to my angel.

Six months after the accident the doctor gave me good news. The best news of my life. My angel was showing signs of improvement. They were taking her out of the coma.

For days since she was taken out of the coma, I pleaded for my angel to wake-up. I told her it was okay to wake-up. I was right here. Days later I heard the sweetest voice.

My angel said my name, Trey. I began to cry happy tears. My angel was awake. I kissed her so much. My life was whole again.

The doctor told the both of us that Angeliyah was going to have to overcome major obstacles during her recovery and there was a slight chance Angeliyah might never walk again.

I was prepared for anything. I gave up on my angel once. I wasn't doing it again. The day came for my angel to begin rehab. I was there for her.

She struggled so much. I told her to believe in herself. Day after day I saw my love struggling to walk. I saw tears running down her face.

I knew she was ready to quit. I told her these exact same words. I remember them to this day.

"I gave up on you because I was scared to lose you. Then you came to me and told me to fight for you because if I didn't fight for you, you wouldn't wake-up. So, I fought for you every single day. Do the same for me. Now you have to fight. I'm here for you always. I love you to the moon and back."

My angel fought. She struggled but she didn't give up. It's been a year and a half since the accident. My angel is back home. The same person she has always been.

Even though my angel is in a wheelchair, she is fighting to walk again. The accident didn't tear our love apart. It made us stronger.

As I look back on the events from a year and a half ago, I see that I am a changed man and husband. The accident was one of the most horrible things to ever happen but it gave me something, courage, faith and the love of my life survived.

September 12, 2024 21:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.